๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 86 โ€” Ernest Goes To Jail

I'm envisioning a "Freaky Friday"-style scenario where Jason and June, through some wacky magic something or other, switch bodies for a day.

June...

ย 

P8W4.jpg

ย 

(Classic via dynayellow.)

• Like 4

OMISSION:

ย 

I'm not 100% sure, and can't be bothered checking now, but I think Chuck and Bobby were actually twin brothers. They have appeared together in other Ernest films, and like Ernest, they got their start in advertising.

ย 

From Bill "Bobby" Byrge's Wikipedia:

In 1986, Byrge began appearing alongside longtime co-star Gailard Sartain in a series of "Me and My Brother Bobby" commercials, produced by the Nashville advertising company Carden and Cherry, the same company responsible for the Ernest P. Worrell commercials with Jim Varney. Basic premise was Sartain and Byrge were, "Twin brothers who didn't look anything alike", while the schtick was loud-mouth Chuck (Sartain) would endorse a certain product, and in some cases, would bungle something in the process, while his quiet and collected twin brother Bobby (Byrge) would mostly agree with whatever Chuck's sentiments were with a simple, yet enthusiastic nod.

ย 

So, Chuck and Bobby were the original "twin brothers who didn't look anything alike".

Suck it, Schwarzenegger and DeVito.

Jim Varney was a brilliant improviser and comic character actor.

ย 

Hmmm... First, read the Varney analysis above. Next, look quickly at the picture of Virgil Simms, then look away.

ย 

Anyone ever seen Varney and Kroll in the same place?

CORRECTION:

ย 

Paul said they had to take a break to "pay the sponsors". You are bad at business if you are doing this Earwolf!

ย 

I can't wait until June gets even further into pregnancy and gets crazier and crazier. That's a thing right?

I have to say, even before listening to this I was upset. Ernest movies were a big part of my childhood and I saw most of them in the theaters. I've never had an issue with any other movie from my childhood being dissected, but this one hit home. I'll go home and watch all of these movies again tonight and enjoy them just as much as when I was a child.

ย 

On another note, I understand what June was saying. Check out this mofo.

ย 

varney.jpg

ย 

So...what's with the pentagram?

ย 

Earnest Rides Again...Oh boy. Me and my friends were huge Earnest fans around age 10, and we were among the dozens of people to see that movie when it came out. I vividly remember it, as it was the first time I had the thought "that was a bad, bad movie".

this episode ruled.

ย 

I have to say, though, I loved this movie when I was 6 years old. Rewatching it in preperation I could totally see how a 6 year old would love this Looney Tunes nonsense.

ย 

Rewatching a lot of things from the 1990's, like the Animaniacs, a lot of bad writing uses old Hollywood references that children would never possibly get. It's parody of specific movies and actors that does not work at all because the reference is supposed to be a joke just because it's a reference, like a Family Guy gag. This is done much better by parodying a broad genre such as Children's Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV or Burning Love :)

ย 

The podcassters did a great job sorting out the logic, or lack there of.

• Like 1

Jim_Varney.jpg

HOT. AS. FUCK.

adam-driver.jpg

I think Adam Driver is Jim Varney's son. Somehow.

• Like 2

I'm really glad Paul mentioned that Ernest Goes to Camp had given him the feels as a child, because I can remember having the same reaction and was a bit embarrassed about that.

ย 

I had no idea that Jim Varney had done so many Ernest movies. I thought there were maybe two or three. Nope, Wikipedia lists ten.

"Oh, you mean why I still watch episode 2 of True Detective?" Fucking Zouks, man.

ย 

Did anyone else feel like he was trolling us by going into an in-depth analysis of Ernest's potential psychological disorders without ever using his catchphrase "on the spectrum"?

• Like 4

I still love the early Ernest movies. "Goes to Camp" is awesome. Its hard not to cry when Ernest sings "Sure Am Glad its Raining".... Because guys, what they wanted was a hero, all he needed was a friend. Anyway, "Goes to Jail" is not a great movie, but there's some classic Ernest bits in there. The ink in the mouth still makes me laugh.

• Like 1

Jason Mantzoukas: "I was more of a Where's the Beef guy. I was always following her career. Where's the Beef... in Space?!"

ย 

I need to see this movie!

ย 

beef.jpg

• Like 7

I think Jim Varney was a comedic genius. Not all of his movies were great, but I think he's incredibly versatile. This is one of my favorite segments he did:

ย 

ย 

Also, check out Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Moonbeam. It's way darker than most of his later stuff. Ernest isn't even in it much. But tons of Jim Varney's other characters.

• Like 2

I Loved this episode SO MUCH!!!

ย 

Evil Ernest. *Sigh!* Women always go for the bad boys. The fuckable, fuckable bad boys...

ย 

*Click Picture For Full Size*

ย 

JsmoZ1Vl.jpg

ย 

ย 

P.S.: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those cops were probably the inspiration for the ones in Marilyn Manson's "The Dope Show" Music Video...

• Like 1

Lesley... didn't seem all there

ย 

Was anyone?

Lesley did almost nothing for me until she did the "Ernest getting electrocuted" sound effect and I completely laughed hysterically for what felt like a minute or two and completely redeemed herself.

ย 

Loved this movie as a kid, I guess I still think that sound is hilarious.

• Like 2

Grew up watching and loving the Ernest films. Even saw this one in the theatre. So I of course loved to hear it dissected, ha.

• Like 1

While the "hero has an evil doppelganger that switches places with them and nobody notices" is hardly an original storyline, as the podcast kept going I found myself more and more convinced that this film had been remade as Muppets Most Wanted.

ย 

So I guess my question is, Would Constantine have eventually raped Miss Piggy is Kermit hadn't stopped the wedding?

• Like 1

I've only seen Ernest Scared Stupid, but it was my favorite movie for a while when I was a kid.

ย 

When Ernest unknowingly and accidentally hits a troll with a car door right as it's about to attack him, I almost died laughing, and I can't really explain why.

ย 

Maybe because the movie was actually scary (at that age), so the humor broke some real tension.

• Like 1

I hope they do more Ernest films. Scared Stupid and Save Christmas would be good. Scared stupid has a great bit in it. He was about to give up and not try to fight the troll.. He then is convince either by a kid or the dog to fight back

ย 

"your right. I've never give up. Why I don't know when to quit. Just ask my 4th grade teacher.."

(Cut to this bit)

• Like 2