🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 76 — On the Run

After the open mic brawl ended in death, Dag, Houg, Lyra, and Winter make their escape. Will they lose the angry mob or will they be tracked down by the mysterious young kid & his dog? Tune in to find out!

The Olive Garden run killed me. I am posting from beyond the grave.

• Like 2

Lyra needs to put some distance between herself and the rest of these guys. She killed no one, nor set anything on fire. She's on the run for getting her butt grabbed. And I wish Gerry was there to be pissed about how he got roped into this mess just by showing up for his open mic slot. They should all be pissed at Dag. The possible drama and infighting in this group could get pretty juicy...

• Like 2

TOTALLY SHITS WHEN I FART

Oh my god, I am still laughing over this.

Also, I'm digging Blaine's sandbox approach to DMing (at least, it seems like that's what he's doing). I don't know if he's got an overarching story in mind, but right now it seems like he's just giving the group a setting to get into shenanigans in and letting them direct the action through their choices. I like running that kind of game.

• Like 3

I'm digging Blaine's sandbox approach to DMing (at least, it seems like that's what he's doing). I don't know if he's got an overarching story in mind, but right now it seems like he's just giving the group a setting to get into shenanigans in and letting them direct the action through their choices. I like running that kind of game.

My concern is, unless he's got something that he's working on right now, how are these characters going to distinguish themselves as heroes/antiheroes as opposed to idiots that just cause chaos? I appreciate the shenanigans and hijinks, but I think it would be more entertaining if they had a common enemy to unite against/some kind of goal.

• Like 2

I think it's fine to give the characters some time to breathe and develop before they have grand quests thrust on them; in fact, that DMing style has a big advantage, namely the DM can get to know the characters enough to make a quest that will interact interestingly with the characters' strengths, weaknesses, and character quirks.

Anyways, nobody's born a hero.

• Like 3

It's nice to see Blaine warming up to the gig. I really want him to do well, and by the end of it they were really rolling along. I can't wait to see what's in store. Part of me just wants the story to be this random bunch of miscreants getting into trouble with the law.

• Like 1

What is it with Earwolf podcasts and eating this week? Can you not wait an hour before digging into the bag of chips? It is an audio medium!

• Like 1

"You know whats good? pick the guy whos most easily distracted and have him be the DM"

- Brian Posehn.

that should sum up this quest...

• Like 7

There are a few folks posting here that seem to have a "purist's" view of what D&D is all about, and use that outlook to poo poo what goes on at Nerd Poker. I recommend they head over to Twitch and checkout the D&D action over there. For me...there's enough meat and potatoes mixed in here to make it legit, and the rest is just confirming that nerds are nerds whether they bag groceries or do stand up.

• Like 6

Compared to Harmmontown, these guys are purists.

I hope you're not referring to me. I've played about one and a half total D&D campaigns in my life. This show is more than I could ever hope for! I just like to offer constructive criticism/play devil's advocate sometimes. I want everyone to have fun!

Great as always, I feel the energy is picking up again - from recent lulls I assume because of the changes.

Question though, is this now the start of a an actual quest/story? Or are they still just mucking about to get a feel for the characters?

• Like 1

The group does suffer from indecision so I can see an open world sandbox resulting in a lot of dead air while everyone waits for someone else to suggest a direction, though I think Gerry coming back will sort this.

Having said all that I'm just happy to listen the arbitrary tangents and outbursts that Blaine's DMing creates.

• Like 3

Well, on the positive side, next weeks intro recap should be short.

("We decided to run away, kill Benji, turn left, [no - - right!], jump some fences, and hide in the woods")

The group does suffer from indecision so I can see an open world sandbox resulting in a lot of dead air while everyone waits for someone else to suggest a direction, though I think Gerry coming back will sort this.

Having said all that I'm just happy to listen the arbitrary tangents and outbursts that Blaine's DMing creates.

Yeah, Gerry is definitely the player that keeps things moving or at least gets a discussion going. Problem is, Blaine was good at that too, and now that he's DMing I think he's doing his best not to railroad them, so he's waiting for them to make decisions, and the rest of the group seems pretty hesitant. It's nothing major, and I think once they find a common goal among their characters, it will start flowing more smoothly. Still enjoying the hell out of it.

• Like 3

What is it with Earwolf podcasts and eating this week? Can you not wait an hour before digging into the bag of chips? It is an audio medium!

It's not Nerd Poker until the snacks come out. ;p

Funny coincidence - Blaine joked about Episode I coming out in the '60s, and said that it pre-dated 2001 (i.e. the Kubrick movie) by a year and a half, when in fact it came out in late May 1999, so it actually did pre-date the year 2001 by almost exactly a year and a half.

• Like 3

Funny coincidence - Blaine joked about Episode I coming out in the '60s, and said that it pre-dated 2001 (i.e. the Kubrick movie) by a year and a half, when in fact it came out in late May 1999, so it actually did pre-date the year 2001 by almost exactly a year and a half.

Now this is the type of nerdiness I enjoy reading on this board.

• Like 1

Awesome episode. This is exactly what I want from Nerd Poker.

Sign in to follow this