🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 35 — Tipping Points: The End of Seafood and Tequila

It took 45 years before landline phones went from "rich person's toy" to normal. Cell phones made that same journey in just seven years, and smartphones bridged the gap from frivolous to ubiquitous in five. You're probably familiar with the concept of a 'tipping point,' but have you ever wondered why things tip faster nowadays? Babe Ruth's home run record took 34 years to beat. Mark McGwire's took just three. It's because tipping has turned into big business. Jaegermeister and Grey Goose were turned into frat boy icons by the same marketing genius, and Starbucks didn't succeed because they had the best coffee. They won because they figured out how to make paying lots of money for coffee cool.

On today's podcast, Cracked editors Jack O'Brien and Jason Pargin talk about how things tip -- and make some predictions about what we might see tip next. Throw on your headphones and click play above.

Seriously guys, what is with the mouse click noises in the background of this podcast? It is ridiculous. I love the show but I already have to listen to my co-worker mash his keyboard like he is somehow inflecting ASCII.

what up on the huge wait before new episodes I thought it was weekly is it bi weekly??

It was mentioned at the end of this ep that there would be a week break before the next due to scheduling issues. Hopefully as the show gains listenership, it will become a more stable project for the team behind it and they can get a few done out ahead like CBB and others.

Great discussion in this ep though. The future is less and less clear the further things go.

I think the main reason that the mainstream media suddenly warmed to the idea of gay marriage after 2008 is the economic crash. Gay marriage and also stuff like cannabis legalization are offered to us as ersatz issues, to distract from the real issues concerning climate catastrophe and runaway inequality.

Sign in to follow this