🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 77 — Into the Woods

It’s time for Dag, Houg, Lyra, and Winter to lay low for a while since they are being hunted for murder. The gang escape from the city and find their way into some woods. Listen in to find out what mysteries lie as they travel deeper into the woods.

"Like a more delicate Sonny Bono."

Goddammit, I love this show! Keep it up, and make sure to pick up a Get Well card for Dag.

• Like 1

Beautiful last fight, always fun to see characters try to do more than just trade blows, even more fun when it goes hilariously poorly.

As much as people have complained about lack of quest, I'm really enjoying this campaign (if it can be so-called)--lots of problem solving, decent sprinkling of violence (stakes added by the questionable combat-readiness of the thrown-together party), and great role-playing.

Also, as much as it lacks a broader (anti)heroic driving quest, the story is kind of classic; it reminds me of the kind of dark crime comedy where ordinary folk and small-time crooks get dragged into an out-of-control spiral of criminality and violence. Think medieval-fantasy done by Tarantino, Ritchie, or the Coen bros. Or maybe just the child of a strange rpg-shelf tryst between a D+D player's handbook and Fiasco...

• Like 4

Also, as much as it lacks a broader (anti)heroic driving quest, the story is kind of classic; it reminds me of the kind of dark crime comedy where ordinary folk and small-time crooks get dragged into an out-of-control spiral of criminality and violence. Think medieval-fantasy done by Tarantino, Ritchie, or the Coen bros. Or maybe just the child of a strange rpg-shelf tryst between a D+D player's handbook and Fiasco...

I was thinking Grand Theft Auto D&D, but those are even better comparisons.

• Like 1

These episodes are a nice change of pace from the Collector's campaign. I love the fuckups, I love the easy going nature of the DM (Who is driving this horse?) and I love the party itself. Forget boss battles, these guys might be their own worst enemies.

• Like 1

AFAIK, magic missile doesn't require a to-hit roll and does 1d4+1 in AD&D.

• Like 6

That's correct. There is no saving throw, and they "unerringly strike their target."

That's correct. There is no saving throw, and they "unerringly strike their target."

and it makes it so much more fitting for this adventure and amusing that Houg's missiles would have missed their target.

• Like 7

I'm getting kind of a Westeros vibe in this universe because of the sheer amount of senseless violence and moral ambiguity. The Tarantino comparison works, too. Darkly comedic--or comically dark.

• Like 1

Another good time.

Funny how many times the Magic Missle thing will be pointed out, don't think they care.

How did Francis the mage become "Winter"?

I think there's something we all need to remember here around the forums: Except in certain very specific settings (namely games with strangers, like at cons, and tournaments), EVERYONE plays tabletop RPGs by house variants. Some of the variant rules are intentional, some are mistakes or oversights. Fortunately, the collaborative nature of these games mean usually this isn't a game-breaker, and as long as everyone is having fun with the way they're playing all is good. This is true most of all in casual games among a group of friends who have been playing forever. Which is exactly what NP is, regardless of the microphones in the room. So if they aren't playing by the manual perfectly, just tell yourself "they're playing by house rules" and breathe. It clearly doesn't stop them from having a ton of fun or building an interesting campaign, as they prove week after week.

• Like 6

Brian/Dag's commitment to woo-ing Lyra is excellent, now he just had to look up what 'woo-ing' means :P

I also think it was possible that Gerry was in fact there but too busy facepalming to get a word out.

• Like 1

The most annoying thing about this is the only reason I know that is because of Blaine's character from like 1 month ago. They had practically an entire episode going over it

Love you guys. make it interesting.

These last couple of episodes have taken me 3-4 drives to get through, and im listening out of loyalty, really. There's no incentive for the characters to take any risk, so Brian just takes unnecessary risks. Like the passing Willie nelson tour bus/carriage; it seemed like blaine meant something interesting there, but the characters were unwilling to jump at it.

Hug and Lyra actually said they were trying to "stay out" of the fight this episode. I mean, in the context of the character alignment i guess that's true to character, but they already spent a night running and hiding from an angry mob.

Hug has popped zero "illoo-zee-onz" since their run started. Is that part of his character?

Man, I haven't been caught up in weeks! Feels good to be back. I was walking on my break and probably looked crazy when I heard Ken talking about picking rope use. I just lost it. Then when Posehn took his axe to the horse I lost it again, this time at my desk. I just had to cover my face, laughing to tears! :-) I'm really enjoying the break from the last campaign.

• Like 1

So, this is a great break from the earlier campaign! But jesus they dont know ANY rules!!!

ADD str bonuses to weapon damge and Magic Missles always hit should be ones they do get!!!

Also Brian playing a fighter with no armor---even a leather treanchcoat (and maybe his dex) would lower his AC !! But what the fuck its so fun!!!

Keep going, beginnings and new beginnings are always rocky!!

I Love Houg!!

Hug and Lyra actually said they were trying to "stay out" of the fight this episode. I mean, in the context of the character alignment i guess that's true to character, but they already spent a night running and hiding from an angry mob.

Remember that Hug has a single Hit Point.

• Like 1

The most annoying thing about this is the only reason I know that is because of Blaine's character from like 1 month ago. They had practically an entire episode going over it

maybe they should get a "rules intern" or something, for like, whenever they need a rules check? Which is often?

• Like 1

I think there's something we all need to remember here around the forums: Except in certain very specific settings (namely games with strangers, like at cons, and tournaments), EVERYONE plays tabletop RPGs by house variants. Some of the variant rules are intentional, some are mistakes or oversights. Fortunately, the collaborative nature of these games mean usually this isn't a game-breaker, and as long as everyone is having fun with the way they're playing all is good. This is true most of all in casual games among a group of friends who have been playing forever. Which is exactly what NP is, regardless of the microphones in the room. So if they aren't playing by the manual perfectly, just tell yourself "they're playing by house rules" and breathe. It clearly doesn't stop them from having a ton of fun or building an interesting campaign, as they prove week after week.

love that almost every post after THIS one is bitching about rules.

• Like 3

love that almost every post after THIS one is bitching about rules.

I don't care what rules they use, as long as they're consistent and don't have to spend 10 minutes checking/debating every time.

• Like 1

Okay, advice from a 30-year veteran GM. It's getting around the time when you're going to need to give these guys a hook. Danger Rooms are great for getting into character, but we're past that now. They need something to do. None of the players know what they should do next. It's time for the GM to step up and give them something to care about.

One of the great things about the Collector campaign is that they had a villain - someone they could hate, someone who motivated them to keep going. Bleyn is going to need to dangle something in front of the party that will make them want to do something other than "be somewhere other than here". Otherwise the game is going to stall.

• Like 1

Didn't he cast the wall illusion in an effort to hide them in the alley a few episodes back. The kids dog could smell them and that's what led to the trick's undoing.

• Like 1

Didn't he cast the wall illusion in an effort to hide them in the alley a few episodes back. The kids dog could smell them and that's what led to the trick's undoing.

yeah he did

Sign in to follow this