🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Blast Hardcheese

Which Movies Does HDTGM Absolutely Need To Review?

Any Sandler kids movie, a mid 90s science-themed blockbuster.

My wishlist:

1)Now You See Me

2)Robocop 2

3)The Toy

4)Maximum Overdrive

5)Lifeforce

I second pretty much all of these said so far but here's my top 5

1. Tango and Cash

2. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

3. Earth Girls Are Easy

4. Zapped!

5. The Wizard

My Top 5 (I have to say that doing this list was somewhat hard for me because there are a LOT of bad/crazy movies that I want June, Paul, Jason and a guest to "unpack" )

1. Getaway (2013)

2. Chernobyl Diaries (2012)

3. Paranoia (2013)

4. Stealth (2005)

5. Non-Stop (2014) (June, Jason And Paul theories and explanations will be gold)

Honorable Mention: Now You See Me (2013)

My list is:

1.) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - this really needs to happen.

2.) Gothika - at first glance you might think it's just a run of the mill bad movie, but when you really start disecting the plot you realize just how bonkers it is.

3.) Dreamcatcher (oblig)

4.) Southland Tales (oblig)

5.) The Cat in the Hat

My list is:

1.) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - this really needs to happen.

oh fuck yeah, i saw this on cable the other day and maybe i was feeling masochistic so i decided to watch some of it, i forgot just how fucking terrible it is. it would be perfect, plus since Jason seems to be a real comic book dude i'd love to hear his thoughts on how it compares to the book, assuming he's read it

• Like 2

I would include:

1. Town & Country (2001)

2. Cocktail (1988)

3. Sphere (1998)

4. Lady in the Water (2006)

5. Double Dragon (1994)

I've been championing Southland Tales for a long, long time based on its rampant what-the-fuckery, so that's at the top of my list, but I'd really also like for them to do Miami Connection, because it's SO much fun, and I'd love to have another reason to re-visit it.

• Like 1

I would include:

1. Town & Country (2001)

2. Cocktail (1988)

3. Sphere (1998)

4. Lady in the Water (2006)

5. Double Dragon (1994)

I recently posted my biggest gripe against Double Dragon over in that thread. I'm not going to spoil it here...

I think Stealth is an interesting choice as an examination of the Hollywood Blockbuster mentality of the 2000s until about now, I guess. It seems like Studio Executive-types were hoping it would be a launching pad for Josh Lucas and Jessica Biel to be superstars, only now all the good roles they'd be getting are taken by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was also the first high-profile movie Jamie Foxx did after his much heralded performances in Collateral and Ray, the latter of which won him a fucking Oscar. So you had this legitimate Academy Award-winning superstar, two gorgeous-looking potential superstars, and a plot and look modeled after Michael Bay movies; it was a movie engineered to be a Big Fucking Deal... only it was NOT. $32 million domestic gross ($76 million total) on a $135 million budget. Yikes. That said... I don't know if it would make a good episode because I've never seen it. Is it fun? Just dumb? I don't know. If you were teaching a class on Hollywood Fuck-Ups, it would be a film to show, to be sure.

My perennial favorites are Southland Tales, The Happening, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Dreamcatcher. Lady in the Water would be ok too, but I think that would be less fun and more rage inducing. It's totally arbitrary on my part, but I think my own commentary on that one would yelling "Fuck You M. Night!" over and over while I can at least laugh at The Happening. Still, I can't recall a movie that has made me angrier than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, soooo.... again, totally arbitrary.

• Like 1

1. Miami Connection

2. The Stabilizer

3. D.O.A - Dead or Alive

4. Girls Just Want to Have Fun

5. Friday the 13th Part 5 or Equilibrium

I think Stealth is an interesting choice as an examination of the Hollywood Blockbuster mentality of the 2000s until about now, I guess. It seems like Studio Executive-types were hoping it would be a launching pad for Josh Lucas and Jessica Biel to be superstars, only now all the good roles they'd be getting are taken by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was also the first high-profile movie Jamie Foxx did after his much heralded performances in Collateral and Ray, the latter of which won him a fucking Oscar. So you had this legitimate Academy Award-winning superstar, two gorgeous-looking potential superstars, and a plot and look modeled after Michael Bay movies; it was a movie engineered to be a Big Fucking Deal... only it was NOT. $32 million domestic gross ($76 million total) on a $135 million budget. Yikes. That said... I don't know if it would make a good episode because I've never seen it. Is it fun? Just dumb? I don't know. If you were teaching a class on Hollywood Fuck-Ups, it would be a film to show, to be sure.

My perennial favorites are Southland Tales, The Happening, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Dreamcatcher. Lady in the Water would be ok too, but I think that would be less fun and more rage inducing. It's totally arbitrary on my part, but I think my own commentary on that one would yelling "Fuck You M. Night!" over and over while I can at least laugh at The Happening. Still, I can't recall a movie that has made me angrier than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, soooo.... again, totally arbitrary.

Well Elitist Prick... My biggest problem with "Stealth" is that it wants to be a good action blockbuster but some of its serious scenes are unintentionally funny, the romance elements are forced and cheesy and it doesnt matter because the last scene made all of it pointless I.M.O. and because almost all action is CGI I had a hard time connecting to/enjoying it...

Also... I forgot about "The Happening" I saw it in a theater and was one of the worst movies ever... People I know hated M. Night's "The Village" but "The Happening" Is infinite times worst...

It seems that after "Signs" M. Night's Movie Twist Is always the same...

Every movie he directs turns out to be unbelievably worst than the last

• Like 1

My wife and I had a couple over for a movie night and watched the village when it was still relatively current..All four of us were ANGRY at that movie.. what a piece of garbage..

I know everyone says that his movies got worse and worse after Signs, but I feel like they sustain the same amount of absurdity throughout. I haven't seen his last few, but I remember seeing the Village and Lady in the Water in theaters and not thinking they were as awful as everyone was saying they were... not to say that his movies, or any movie for that matter, don't deserve the HDTGM treatment.

in other words, I feel like as time passes and his name loses the connotation it currently has, his films will be re-assessed. not saying I fully enjoy his movies, but there's a definite degree of piling on when it comes to M. Night Shyamalan. lots of directors who make surreal movies don't experience any praise for their work in their lifetime and every filmmaker has a formula to their movies if you look hard enough.

plus, you have to give him some props for the fact that he continues to make movies when just his name is pretty much a punchline these days.

• Like 1

Well Elitist Prick... My biggest problem with "Stealth" is that it wants to be a good action blockbuster but some of its serious scenes are unintentionally funny, the romance elements are forced and cheesy and it doesnt matter because the last scene made all of it pointless I.M.O. and because almost all action is CGI I had a hard time connecting to/enjoying it...

Sounds about what I expected.

As for M. Night, I do think Unbreakable has been unnecessarily shat upon. I really like that movie, but everything after that suffers from having various amounts of nonsense, bullshit, or total incompetence. I hope Unbreakable is eventually re-assessed, but not much of his other catalog deserves more attention (except for mockery).

M Night movies are always beautiful looking. He picks great cinematographers. I really enjoyed the village. Maybe Adrian Brody's character could've been toned down a bit. Every one now knows the standards of a M Night movie, and this movie happened to have a twist that everyone was searching for the entire movie instead of enjoying a genuinely intriguing thriller/horror (not exactly horror I know)

One of my top picks is Knowing (2009). This is one movie I think needs to be done. There is a local store where you can buy used DVDs cheap. $3 cheap. Buy 5 get 1 free. I picked up a bunch and this was one. Seemed like an interesting film. Cage tries to prevent disasters when his son finds some old pages of numbers in a time capsule. Each set of numbers refer to a date, death toll, and location. Cage wants to try to prevent the ones that haven't occurred yet because the last set refers to the end of the world... then in the last little bit it goes bat shit insane when the mysterious strangers watching in the shadows turn out to be ALIENS! (Holy Frig they were aliens!) They want to gather special people to take them to another planet. Cage's son is one of them, but he is not. The son is taken, Cage is left behind and the world is destroyed.

What really gets me is the end. We saw Cage's son and the main woman's daughter (both around 10) left on this new alien world. We saw lots of other space ships leave earth, but assuming this is the typical people taken, then all we have are young kids. Young kids left on an alien world with no adults left to fend for themselves. So basically instead of dying quickly on Earth these kids die slowly of exposure/starvation/killed by animals. Plus if they are taken from various countries, then you got language barriers. If it was kids and their parents you got people to teach the kids how to make shelter/hunt/cook/etc. So yeah those kids are dead.

Next on my list of must see, The Wizard. Basically a giant Nintendo commercial. June will be so confused it will be madness. Plus you get the infamous "He touched my breasts!" line (With the guy later on the phone saying "She doesn't even have breasts..")

Third would be The Happening. Flat mute acting, killer tree spores, Marky Mark apologizing to a plastic plant.. What is their not to love..

Other picks:

Leonard Part 6

The Toy

• Like 1

The Carey Treatment 1974. Stars James Coburn as a doctor who solves a mystery as if he was a white Shaft. The movie is based on a novel by Michael Crichton and was directed by Blake Edwards who disowned the movie.

• Like 1

1. Vampire's Kiss

2. Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

3. Leprechaun 4: In Space

4. Maximum Overdrive

5. Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return

• Like 1

Southland Tales. I want a double-length episode featuring some of the stars of the film, I bet Richard Kelly would even do a director's edition if they asked him nicely. I have seen some bonkers films, but nothing literally that crazy and upsetting.

• Like 1