🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Blast Hardcheese

Which Movies Does HDTGM Absolutely Need To Review?

How about a James Bond movie?

My wishlist, in order:

1. Licence to Kill

2. A View to a Kill

3. Die Another Day

A LTK episode would be BONKERS!

My list is:

2.) Gothika - at first glance you might think it's just a run of the mill bad movie, but when you really start disecting the plot you realize just how bonkers it is.

I have seen this movie suggested several times on here and it's bringing back such bad memories. That movie was the most upsetting thing to me ever when I was young. Granted I haven't seen it in forever, but was it that bad? Or was I just young, naiive, and thought H Berry was killing it?

• Like 1

Oh, also The island and or Pain & Gain. Michael bay is an easy target but those are his most fucked up movies.

I hope you don't think they would dislike Pain & Gain, it would probably be one of their most liked movies, up there with the recent Fast & Furious

• Like 1

1. Getaway (2013)

They would have a field day with those disgusting Jon Voight mouth closeup scenes. they still gross me out just thinking about them.

• Like 1

I hope you don't think they would dislike Pain & Gain, it would probably be one of their most liked movies, up there with the recent Fast & Furious

that movie is very disturbing to me because all that stuff really happened and is played for laughs. I guess just knowing that as I watched it made me feel weird.

Matt Dylan's first movie - Over the Edge it's a great low budget teenage rebellion movie that is classic 70's.

that movie is very disturbing to me because all that stuff really happened and is played for laughs. I guess just knowing that as I watched it made me feel weird.

Agreed, it was a pretty F'ed up movie. I'm wondering if the person who is saying it deserves the HDTGM treatment never saw it, because I'm no Michael Bay fan (saw the first transformers and none after it) but I was dragged to that movie in the theaters by friends and I didn't dislike it at all. I was actually blown away by the Rock's ability to play those coked up scenes well for comedy, I like Anthony Mackie, and Wahlberg has his faults but was well cast as this criminal who deep down kind of thinks he's still a nice guy and wants to be liked by the community

Matt Dylan's first movie - Over the Edge it's a great low budget teenage rebellion movie that is classic 70's.

Over The Edge is not bad. It's fucking amazing

Over The Edge is not bad. It's fucking amazing

and.... his name is spelled Matt Dillon. I thought most HDTGM fans were movie buffs, so this caught me off guard. Maybe the crowd is the opposite, people who don't like movies and therefore like to watch only the bad ones

• Like 1

and.... his name is spelled Matt Dillon. I thought most HDTGM fans were movie buffs, so this caught me off guard. Maybe the crowd is the opposite, people who don't like movies and therefore like to watch only the bad ones

I can't speak for anyone else but I am personally a fan of the classics like Citizen Kane and The Godfather.

• Like 7

I can't speak for anyone else but I am personally a fan of the classics like Citizen Kane and The Godfather.

Depending on how I'm feeling on any given day, my favorite movie goes back and forth between "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Boogie Nights".

• Like 1

I think it was an honest mistake. I mean, I wouldn't correlate a person misspelling Matt Dillon's name with not being a "movie buff." I don't expect people to consult imdb before every post.

Besides, it was Matt Dillon. A celebrity to be sure, but not exactly someone with the same name recognition as say, Stephan Spielburg.

• Like 3

I like the medium, but I think that most movies are dumb. I also think that movie consumers, the industry, and even many critics tend to reward dumb movies, which suppresses the market and resources for smart movies. Therefore, I appreciate things like HDTGM and MST3K that help people view movies with more of a critical eye--while also making us laugh. I loved "Love" but hated "Gravity". I was mesmerized by "The Thin Red Line," but detested "Saving Private Ryan." I was fascinated by "Gummo" and "Toad Road," but just irritated by "Pulp Fiction" (meaningless, faux clever), "Gladiator" (bloated, formulaic revenge pic that ignored the amazing intellectual legacy of Marcus Aurelius) and "Forest Gump" (disingenuous glorification of stupidity). Also, I never want to see another movie written by someone who has read Syd Field or "Save The Cat." Have you seen the amazing "Werckmeister Harmonies"? Probably not, because all the theaters were showing "Gladiator," which won the Oscar that year! Aaaaaaarghh!

• Like 2

1. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

(Nick Cage, Lizard Cam, Weird Happy Ending)

2. Phenomenon

(John Travolta gets magical smart powers.)

3. The Island of Dr. Moreau

(The crazy Brando version, natch)

4. The Jerry Springer Movie

(Which features one of the best good performances in a bad movie I've ever seen.)

5. Babe 2: Pig in the City

(This movie is motherfucking dark. I mean, it's fascinating but a real WTF after the feel good that is Babe)

I like the medium, but I think that most movies are dumb. I also think that movie consumers, the industry, and even many critics tend to reward dumb movies, which suppresses the market and resources for smart movies. Therefore, I appreciate things like HDTGM and MST3K that help people view movies with more of a critical eye--while also making us laugh. I loved "Love" but hated "Gravity". I was mesmerized by "The Thin Red Line," but detested "Saving Private Ryan." I was fascinated by "Gummo" and "Toad Road," but just irritated by "Pulp Fiction" (meaningless, faux clever), "Gladiator" (bloated, formulaic revenge pic that ignored the amazing intellectual legacy of Marcus Aurelius) and "Forest Gump" (disingenuous glorification of stupidity). Also, I never want to see another movie written by someone who has read Syd Field or "Save The Cat." Have you seen the amazing "Werckmeister Harmonies"? Probably not, because all the theaters were showing "Gladiator," which won the Oscar that year! Aaaaaaarghh!

So you hate anything that is massively popular and mainstream basically? That to me was the obvious takeaway from these comments. The Thin Red Line was one of the only films you mentioned liking that I can immediately recall, though I never saw it.

I enjoy movies, but wouldn't ever consider myself a harsh critic, I am honest about it. I take a movie for what it is, so if I end up finding some childrens movie 20 minutes in on a sunday morning, I might watch the rest and say "that was good for what it was", and I wont compare it to movies like the Godfather or Citizen Kane. If I watch some Scorcese movie and the whole thing is just laughable, I am honest about that, and at the end of the day I do truly enjoy a 'good' bad movie to drink a few beers and make fun of with friends

• Like 1

So you hate anything that is massively popular and mainstream basically? That to me was the obvious takeaway from these comments. The Thin Red Line was one of the only films you mentioned liking that I can immediately recall, though I never saw it.

I enjoy movies, but wouldn't ever consider myself a harsh critic, I am honest about it. I take a movie for what it is, so if I end up finding some childrens movie 20 minutes in on a sunday morning, I might watch the rest and say "that was good for what it was", and I wont compare it to movies like the Godfather or Citizen Kane. If I watch some Scorcese movie and the whole thing is just laughable, I am honest about that, and at the end of the day I do truly enjoy a 'good' bad movie to drink a few beers and make fun of with friends

Yeah, I was really crabby when I wrote that. I agree with your approach. I can enjoy a Fast & Furious or a Bond movie for what it is. I tend to watch Jaws whenever it's on, and I'll rush to out to the next Star Wars movie. But I get frustrated when a movie seems to be elevated beyond entertainment if that is all it is. For example, it doesn't bug me that "Titanic" was successful because people seemed to keep it in perspective as pure entertainment. I grew up during an era of movies like "Five Easy Pieces," "Harold & Maude," "Carnal Knowledge," "The Last Detail," "Save the Tiger"--truly thoughtful movies. Then Jaws came along and changed everything. That's ok, but let's make our movies work a little harder before we call them "great." By the way, these are just an old man-child's rantings, and I hate when someone presents opinion as fact, so I fully recognize that I could be wrong about everything (except that I DO know that this all used to be farm land as far as the eye could see, and know it's just apartments and strip malls). Stan, thanks for your respectful reply and tolerance.

3. The Island of Dr. Moreau

(The crazy Brando version, natch)

This especially. Marlon Brando, a globally acclaimed film actor phoning an insane performance with Val Kilmer and a bunch of costume rejects from Cats.

My Girlfriend recently introduced me to a film that was a staple part of her childhood, I had never seen it before or even heard of it for that matter.

The film I'm referring to is 'Teen Witch'

Let me tell you, this film is FANTASTIC. It makes no sense whatsoever, it's outrageously 80's and it breaks all conventions and has you asking questions throughout it constantly.

Is it a musical? It's it an extended pop video? Are those slow walking music bits actually happening? Is the swimming pool only there so we have an excuse to have a few scenes where people are only wearing skimpy swimsuits? How does any parent think her twenty sizes to big granny clothes are an acceptable thing to make your child wear? As a witch, she wishes to become the most popular person in school, instead of this making everyone suddenly love her - it makes he change everything about her in order to fit in, where's the magic? And finally, how can anyone be that funky all the time?

Please watch the trailer:

More importantly this - after seeing this scene I had to watch the whole thing immediately.

My own personal top 5...

5. jingle all the way 2

4. Joy ride

3. The quick and the dead.

2.Cuffs

1. martians Go home