đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Blast Hardcheese

Which Movies Does HDTGM Absolutely Need To Review?

Hey, Blast I hope whatever's kept you away for so long isn't a permanent thing! It's good to hear from you.

In terms of your list, I would love if they did Cutthroat Island - which I just had the pleasure of watching for the first time recently. I would also still love to see Wolverine: Origins with Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn.

Just your garden variety hectic life stuff (work, school, family, etc.) But, listening to Paul mention your comment on the recent mini ep made me miss this board and everyone on it (even the newbs who keep recommending the movies MST3K have already done). So here I am. Put me in coach. I'm ready to watch... Ninja Dance Squad? Or, whatever it is the next film's called.

Add Jesse Falcon to that Wolverine: Origins list. I know it's one guest too many, but I'd love to hear his take on this film.

• Like 1

He straight up said in a mini ep (not long ago, but I don't remember which one) that they're working actors and there are too many people involved in the movie that they don't want to piss off. He said if you want to hear someone talk about it, you could try a different bad movie podcast, but they wouldn't be doing it on HDTGM. He was really cool about it and I respect his forthrightness.

I can respect that. The tightrope Paul, Jason and June have to walk with this podcast now is really getting up there, though. I miss the unencumbered and fearless days of this podcast, but I also understand the politics involved.

• Like 3

I just want them to keep doing their thing. So as much as I really don't like the Ninja Terminator stuff, I'm just glad their still going strong.

Also, I'm glad your life has at least settled the point you have the time to chill with us again. :)

• Like 1

Just your garden variety hectic life stuff (work, school, family, etc.) But, listening to Paul mention your comment on the recent mini ep made me miss this board and everyone on it (even the newbs who keep recommending the movies MST3K have already done). So here I am. Put me in coach. I'm ready to watch... Ninja Dance Squad? Or, whatever it is the next film's called.

Add Jesse Falcon to that Wolverine: Origins list. I know it's one guest too many, but I'd love to hear his take on this film.

If I had my Podcast Druthers, they would have done this movie a year or so ago when Len Wein was still alive and relatively healthy. When he was a frequent guest/guest host on the Nerdist Comics Panel, he was so honest, forthright, funny, and still totally in love with comics even after being in the business for decades. It would just have been great to have the creator of the character on a movie as garbage as Wolverine: Origins. Wein was both never shy of telling stories of burned bridges, yet he was more eager to dish out compliments than anything. Plus, him and Hugh Jackman never tired of talking about how great the other was, so it would have been fun to get his perspective on the nadir of Jackman as Wolverine. (Full Disclosure: I am biased because Logan is everything I want in a superhero movie and I'm still totally in awe of Jackman as the Canadian Murder Machine).

• Like 1

Here's a thought: Would the show still "work" with a non-narrative movie? United Passions sounds like one of the worst movies and biggest bombs released in the last decade.

For anyone who doesn't remember: It was basically FIFA congratulating itself for 110 minutes...and it was released in North America just as the FIFA corruption scandal was breaking. And much of it was on how much of an anti-corruption crusader the current FIFA president was.

In the US, it had an opening weekend of $918. Not, $918k. $918. It had a worldwide gross of $200,000 on a $25 million budget. And that's using the most favorable numbers for both. It has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 1 out of 100 on Metacritic.

New to This Pod Cast. I love it.

On Deadly Ground would be a good one for the guys to do. I know every Steven seagal Movie is essentially Terrible but this was off the back of Under Siege which did quite well.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:42 PM, Blast Hardcheese said:

But, listening to Paul mention your comment on the recent mini ep made me miss this board and everyone on it (even the newbs who keep recommending the movies MST3K have already done).

Somehow it never occurred to me they might be avoiding a few obvious “bad movie classics” like Manos for this reason. Even glancing over the complete HDTGM list, the only movie I can think of that both have done is Mac and Me, and that one was done by the podcast waaaayyy before MST3K. They’ve also done a lot of movies that MST3K spinoffs, like Rifftrax, have done.

It’s always been weird to me that 200+ episodes in, they’ve done several of the classics, like The Room, Birdemic, and The Star Wars Holiday Special, but have still left several others on the table, like Plan 9 from Outer Space, Manos, and Troll 2.

Also, they need to do all three of those ones I just named.

• Like 1

I just attended a screening of SHE (1984) in NYC. This would be a hall of fame movie for HDTGM if they were able to get their hands on a copy, which sounds like it might be a difficult task. Even the Alamo Drafthouse here was only able to find an Answer Print, which was missing both the opening and end credits. This only contributed to the comedy of it all when the film attempted to end on a poignant, somber ending, and instead of slowly fading to credits it abruptly cut to black and the lights came up. The audience met that with thunderous applause. Anyways, this movie has everything. It's part sword and sandals movie, part post apocalyptic movie. It features many a scantily clad lady, ninjas, a robot Frankenstein monster, mutant leper mummies, telekinetic man gods, large hairy men dressed as ballerinas, and strangest of all, a hacky, obnoxious, impression spouting comedian who when is dismembered clones himself until there are dozens of versions of him talking like Popeye and Jimmy Cagney. This movie has to be seen to be believed. If anybody can find a copy to send to the crew, don't hesitate. 

• Like 1