đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

Lets face it. Shelley Long taking over her daughters Beverly Hill's girl scout (or whatever) troop only to show them the merits of being a housewife is GARBAGE. Who thought this would be a good movie? I remember this movie playing on tv in the 90's when I was a kid and thinking it was terrible even then.

FYI: If you feel a sudden indescribable stabbing pain, that's probably just Shannon murdering you.

• Like 3

I think Dan was assuming that I, like many women in my age range, was obsessed with this movie in my childhood. But, I'm slightly too young (it came out when I was one) and I've only seen it one time.

But thanks for checking for double threads! that makes you extra cool in my book

• Like 2

I think Dan was assuming that I, like many women in my age range, was obsessed with this movie in my childhood. But, I'm slightly too young (it came out when I was one) and I've only seen it one time.

This. I grew up with two sisters, and this movie was played more times than I can count.

• Like 1

Yes. Yes! And thrice YES! This movie - and Frozen Assets, which also stars Shelley Long - is absolute garbage. I remember thinking while watching this movie, "She left Cheers for this?!?" It needs to be done on HDTGM.

Either this or that one where she comes back from the dead.

Oh you mean the brilliance of Hello Again! I mean she dies choking on a chicken ball and then falls in love with Gabriel Byrne.

Also can we talk about some of the people in this movie:

Jenny Lewis

Carla Gugino

Kellie Martin

Tori Spelling

Craig T. Nelson

Audra Lindley

Mary Gross

With Guest Spots:

Robin Leach

Cheech Marin

Pia Zadora

Ted Mcginley

Frankie and Annette

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

To name a few

• Like 1

Loved this film as a kid, do not think it has held up as well as some others from around that time but it woudl be interesting fodder for the HDTGM team

Loved this film as a kid, do not think it has held up as well as some others from around that time but it woudl be interesting fodder for the HDTGM team

It absolutely did not hold up at all. :D

"With her marriage breaking up, Beverly Hills housewife Phyllis Nefler (Shelley Long) boosts her self-esteem by leading a local troop of Wilderness Girls. Although Phyllis' version of roughing it is spending the night at the Beverly Hills Hotel, that suits her privileged troop members just fine. Unfortunately, when Phyllis falls afoul of a rival leader, the girls are threatened with having their group dissolved -- unless they can prove their wilderness skills at the annual jamboree."

THIS MOVIE AGED SO WELL. NOT APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN BUT WAS A CHILDREN'S MOVIE. 

Rotten Tomatoes: 9%

Google Users: 92%

• Haha 1

My girlfriend subjected me to this movie mostly out of her personal nostalgia. Oof.

After a while I started thinking of it in HDTGM terms. Instead of having specific  moments that change the characters or changing gradually, they just sort of change in chunks. The self-absorbed, materialistic main character is suddenly less so, then suddenly a little more less so, etc. Everyone wants to completely disband/quit the second any time they face any difficulty, no matter how vague and no matter how much they’ve already gotten through. The scoutmaster is apparently allowed to make up her own badges.

The whole bit with the fallen tree sent me over the edge. They don’t even consider another way around. The leader tries to cross it by walking over it like a damn balance beam instead of crawling across it, which even children know would be far less risky. She falls on her face and is perfectly fine and still on the tree. Her daughter rushes out to help her with no concevable plan (what can she possibly do?) and somehow falls down but not off as well, also somehow getting her foot stuck in the tree. This despite already being established as a gymnast who is even seen practicing on a balance beam.

Sign in to follow this