🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 87 — Easy Rider 2: The Ride Back

You know a sequel is good when none of the original actors from the first film are involved and the lead in the movie is not an actor but instead a lawyer. The hilarious Nick Thune joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss Easy Rider 2: The Ride Back. They’ll cover everything from the real time driving scenes to all the confusing flashbacks to the terrible sound design. Reminder: If you have a sound collage for the 1st Annual HOWDIES email us over at howdidthisgetmade@earwolf.com! Also, you can now check out June Diane Raphael & Casey Wilson in ASS BACKWARDS for free on Netflix & HULU y’all! Plus, OJ: The Musical is now available on VOD & iTunes, go to www.ojthemusical.com for more info! Don’t forget to grab yourself a brand new HDTGM Daredevil T-shirt over at the Earwolf store and a copy of Paul’s comic book Aliens Vs. Parker available at www.amazon.com!

• Like 2

I haven't seen the movie but just from listening to the first 15 minutes of this episode and hearing the ridiculous amount of topics that are covered I am baffled that the run time is only 105 minutes.

Flawless ep! I love Nick Thune great guest..and as a bonus i love Jason saying Reefer hahah Thanks HDTGM!

Great episode. And I completely agree with Jason. If you are going to kill someone to get revenge, or to avenge someone/something, you have to tell them who you are and why you are about to slice them up in a bathroom.

• Like 2

I watched "Easy Rider" and "Easy Rider 2" back-to-back last night. There was...a significant drop in quality. I didn't looooove "Easy Rider," but I can see how it was a big deal when it came out. I think a good rule of thumb is that if the 3 most important characters die in a movie, it probably doesn't need a sequel.

By the way, I'm sure this is a total coincidence, but if you want to keep the siblings straight,t Virgil = Viet Nam, Morgan = Mexico, and Shane =Sister.

• Like 2

The funniest thing is that the one character who is barely present in all those flashbacks is Wyatt... the character whose backstory this movie purports to explore!!

I'm about halfway through this movie now and had to stop to say:

I have no idea what is going on, who anyone is, what they're doing or why.

I'm not exactly sure why but I can not for the life of me follow this pile of crap. I think it's the editing and the dialog. and the main guy... just hearing his voice and the way he speaks makes me mad.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie but just from listening to the first 15 minutes of this episode and hearing the ridiculous amount of topics that are covered I am baffled that the run time is only 105 minutes.

Yes! I was going to say the same thing. It sounds more like a six-hour miniseries. The flashbacks must be like two minutes long.

• Like 1

How did they resist having a Doctor named "Holiday" in this? I do wonder if the entire process for deciding to do this was, "Hey, Easy Rider had a character named Wyatt -- Just like Wyatt Earp. What if we made a sequel and made it about his brothers, Virgil and Morgan, who are also named after Earp brothers. Maybe they have a sister. I don't recall an Earp sister. Well, we'll just name her after some other western, like Shane or something."

• Like 1

Here's the really fucked up thing about the mother's suicide thing, Peter Fonda's mother committed suicide in real life!!

The idea of Wyatt's mother killing herself is almost certainly taken from the famous New Orleans graveyard scene in Easy Rider where the cast was actually on acid and Dennis Hopper supposedly kept talking to Peter Fonda about his mother to make him cry and freak out about her death.

• Like 1

Sooooo...is it off limits to mention that the flop house did this one like a month back? Come on guys, there are more than enough bad movies to go around.

Well, this episode was recorded at least 6 weeks ago, because June is still pregnant in the pictures and she had the baby at the end of April. So it's a coincidence.

• Like 1

I love Easy Rider. I was not aware of this movie, until I saw it pop up here, but I have to say, after watching it, this is the most egregious example of an unwarranted or unnecessary sequel, ever. The idea of delving into Captain America's family history undermines everything about the first movie. He was a man with no past and no future, certainly no family -- a blank canvas, eventually covered with the brush strokes of America at the end of the 1960s, through encountering the disparate cultures and counter-cultures that were fighting for their own views, the result of which is one of the most important dissections of American society of that decade. It's really disappointing that this movie was even made, to begin with.

Did anyone else hear Missile Command being played during the Harry's spot, or was that just my speaker?

Also, is this expensive razor blade thing really the epidemic that these sponsors make it out to be? I don't shave EVERY day, but my blades seem to hold up for quite a while, so I'm not spending much on that stuff. Harry's and Dollar Shave Club essentially sound like needle exchange programs for hipsters and Hunger Games cosplayers.

• Like 1

Captain America's name is only revealed to by Wyatt at the very end of Easy Rider, and boy did this guy run with it. Not only does the Williams family mirror the Earps with brothers Morgan and Virgil, but there's a slew of other 19th century Americana names in the cast list, including an Andrew Jackson and a Wild Bill Hickok. I'm kind of bummed out that they didn't decide to name someone "Hondo" or "Eastwood".

• Like 1

Great episode. And I completely agree with Jason. If you are going to kill someone to get revenge, or to avenge someone/something, you have to tell them who you are and why you are about to slice them up in a bathroom.

Also, I usually make it a point to imply that I've already slaughtered their friends and loved ones, and that I saved them for last. I mean, I usually haven't, but it's so satisfying to make those the last thoughts that they have before sending them off to the sweet hereafter. That's just me though.

• Like 2

A lot can be said about how bad this movie is, but the one real problem I have with it, is the Music. Would it of killed them to not get "Born to be wild". I was waiting for that song to come on and it never did. even in the end credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMt5bpQt2k

I challenge you guys to find a better worst cover of burn to be wild.

There's so many big budget movies that they can shit on.... and they keep dredging up B movies that nobody's heard of....

There's so many big budget movies that they can shit on.... and they keep dredging up B movies that nobody's heard of....

I kinda agree, plus only an hour? look before you all go "oh boo hoo complaining about a free podcast" i'm only saying that because A. we're only getting it once a month, which I'm fine with, but if we have to wait that long between episodes we should at least get a decent length episode, they've proven they can do an hour and a half or two hours easy if the movie and guest are really great and B. this movie clearly didn't have much they wanted to say anything about even though they said it was packed with ideas, they barely discussed anything, they had done no research, two of them hadn't even seen Easy Rider to begin with.

but, really i don't care, as long as they keep making episodes, i'm only complaining out of HDTGM withdrawal, i need more than an hour a month!!

• Like 1

Ahh come on, where's the fun in doing the same kind of stuff all the time? This movie was nuts and exactly the kind of thing the show was designed for.

• Like 1

Ahh come on, where's the fun in doing the same kind of stuff all the time? This movie was nuts and exactly the kind of thing the show was designed for.

The Room and Birdemic are very similar movies.It's not new territory.

Sign in to follow this