๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
agata

Episode 161 โ€” Cults

The Professor Blastoff crew is back to talk about how Kyle helps a family with the loss of their son and how David deals with the issues of moving, along with Blackfish, police helicopters, the Grammy's, and whining firetrucks. Then Aaron is on to introduce the showdown of a lifetime. Former Jehovah's Witness Leslie Wilson is here to speak on all things regarding cults. What exactly is a cult? What are some of the rituals that occur in a cult? How does a cult control your life? All these questions will be answered plus an arm-wrestling match you wonโ€™t want to miss!

• Like 1

From what they were saying, sounds like it was recorded around January-time?

From what they were saying, sounds like it was recorded around January-time?

ย 

Yep, old but good.

ย 

All of my co-workers around me are now staring at me because Kyle's Mr. Furley made me lose it.

A reminder how happy the gang was, not even all that long ago. What has changed, was it Aaron's departure? Tig's Grammy upset?? Kyle's inability to digest gluten??? (an entire deep dish pizza could NOT have been helpful)

This woman came off as pretty obnoxious. So bitter and too cool for the room.

ย 

I disagree.

ย 

Good episode. Kyle was smart not to take Aaron's leg-wrestling challenge. Those calves wouldn't have stood a chance.

I was also raised in a Jehovah's Witness household, and her experience seems pretty atypical compared to myself and the other kids in my congregation. Her negative opinion sounds more like a result of over protective parenting from her mother using her belief system as an easy excuse to be controlling (which I'm sure happens to some degree in most religions). I've heard of situations like hers before, but parents raising their children in the faith are discouraged from being too overbearing because it usually just pushes their children away. I never was subjected to a lame dress code. Slang, the internet, the idea of donating eggs, and pursuing a college education were never suggested to be forbidden in my upbringing. I find her "cult" label a bit extreme and inaccurate (not knowing the name of/not being taught to revere the "founder" plus being able to simply walk away quietly from the organization when you decide to seem to be contrary to some key characteristics of a cult), but I certainly have sympathy for her after hearing how she was suppressed as a youth. Not a bad guest, but not really a fair example of the typical Jehovah's Witness experience. She was dead on about walking across people's lawns though, that was definitely frowned upon in the ministry work.

• Like 1

Kyle's inability to digest gluten??? (an entire deep dish pizza could NOT have been helpful)

ย 

Too, too true.

I am also a former Jehovah's Witness, born-in to the religion and very active/devout for many years. It was nice of Leslie to share her experience but she basically gave the Drunk History version of Jehovah's Witnesses. A couple of clarifications:

ย 

- College is not banned outright but it is looked upon as an unwise, dangerous and "worldly" choice, one that a truly spiritual person would probably not make.

ย 

- You can totes say totes. Maybe she was just joking about that. However, swearing, dirty jokes, gossip and angry speech are all no-no's.

ย 

I feel like Leslie missed the chance to really address why Jehovah's Witnesses (and many other similar religions/sects) are technically a cult. Common thread characteristics of cults include Us-Vs-Them Mentality, Suppression of Questioning/Doubt, Behavioral Control by Leadership, Use of Shame and Guilt as Control Tactics, Isolation from Non-Member Friends and Family, Preoccupation with Recruiting New Members, Leadership Not Accountable to Any Authorities. With those criteria, the Catholic Church, Scientology, Mary Kay and Costco could all be considered cults. The commonly held definition of cult is heavy handed. I would call Jehovah's Witnesses a High Control Apocalyptic Christian Sect.

This woman came off as pretty obnoxious. So bitter and too cool for the room.

ย 

Definitely disagree with this. She played along with everything. She armwreslted Aaron with no hesitation.

11 replies...yet no one has pointed out the obvious typo in the title of this episode?

Sign in to follow this