🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 88.5 — Minisode 88.5

Next week we are traveling to Canada for a special treat about a bear that comes to life called Gooby. Paul brings us an exclusive from Nick de Semlyen of Empire magazine who interviewed Peter Fonda and asked him about his thoughts on Easy Rider 2. Then, Paul brings back the segment “Like, Hate Like, and Hate” and decides if Nicolas Cage would have made Mr. Nanny better. Plus, we still are begging to know who threw that dog in the water during Corrections & Omissions for Mr. Nanny and Paul chooses the best Arnold Schwarzenegger line to yell during climax as he answers your Qs. Follow @HDTGM on Twitter to find out when more tix will be released for HDTGM LIVE AT LARGO on 7/19! Make sure to check out Hotwives of Orlando now over at www.hulu.com!

Man that guy in the teddy bear suit seems to be completely embarrassed while making this. Also, "Gooby" happens to feature Eugene Levy and the main guy from JAG (David James Elliott).

Man that guy in the teddy bear suit seems to be completely embarrassed while making this. Also, "Gooby" happens to feature Eugene Levy and the main guy from JAG (David James Elliott).

And Robbie Coltrane!

Also, "Gooby" happens to feature Eugene Levy

Of course it does. I can't believe he isn't already in the HDTGM All-Stars.

2009. 2009. 2009?!?!

I would believe you if you told me this movie was made in 1987 maybe 1994 at the LATEST.

I am in awe.

• Like 3

Are you guys going to watch this? I dont know if I can. Or has anyone seen this already? Why, and is it watchable?

Nah, I never watch any of these if it costs money, and this doesn't seem worthy of an exception.

Oh Canada!

I have to assume Robbie was just bored between filming Harry Potter movies and needed something to do.

xkugcl.jpg

Please note: You have to chick on it to have it replay.

Thanks Seanotron, I sort of wondered if people would feel that or notice.I understand.

Here is the link if your feeling like looking at a great work of art. btw I didn't make this. I coped someone elses work and posted the movie image. it's a full 3mbs. too big for a message board. because once we fill this group up with messages and images you start to feel the load. I know with the Jake Fogelnest, board you really feel the load on that page with all the you tube clips alone.

I cut some frames and recompressed it down to a little under 1mb. I just had to uploaded that as fast as I could with out thinking. he opens that candy bar a lot faster now..

I like the origiral better because it captures the excitement of opening a willywonka candy bar only to find out it's this film.

Hey Jarry, just an FYI but your GIF is huuuuge. You need to make them under 1 MB to work.

• Like 1

I just want to reiterate Paul's recommendation of 'Under the Skin.' That movie is fantastic and weird and unique. See it.

This was made in the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Nine?! I will definitely be watching it. Apparently it's FREE at something called popcornflix. Seems to be an app also. Here's the link: Gooby.

I just want to reiterate Paul's recommendation of 'Under the Skin.' That movie is fantastic and weird and unique. See it.

"Under the skin" was a odd movie and yet I should of liked it but didn't, I was really looking forward to enjoying this movie and yet some how managed not to. it's got everything I like in a movie.. and I love Lars von Trier films so there.

Hey, does anyone know where one would find the full Peter Fonda interview that was used in the show?

is that all there is as the peggy lee song gones. ?

Where does the rest of the world see Hotwives of Orlando paul?

I can only imagine all the things Jason has to say about Gooby. Also, I haven't updated Adobe in months. It asks me to all the time but I don't let it. But guess what? Adobe still works just fine without the update.

(I'm glad these minisodes don't sound like ass anymore.)

The fifth highest result when I google Mr Nanny is the earwolf page :)

PS. Do more shows that are free or on Netflix.

oh my god that thing from "Gooby" sent chills down my spine. it literally looks that dog man from that weird scene in "The Shining" where all the ghosts start to appear.

IlluminatiWatcherDotCom-The-Shining-46.jpg

• Like 4

"Under the skin" was a odd movie and yet I should of liked it but didn't, I was really looking forward to enjoying this movie and yet some how managed not to. it's got everything I like in a movie.. and I love Lars von Trier films so there.

I understand. It's not exactly a movie that is even easy to enjoy. Frankly, it has a lot of ingredients I DON'T like in movies and I HATE HATE HATE Lars Von Trier... but for some reason I love this film. It's weird like that.

And maybe "teach" wasn't the right word. I guess all dogs can swim instinctively? Shit, I don't know! Not a dog person! Are some too scared to get in the water?!? It is LITERALLY the only reason someone would throw a dog in the water besides being a crazy person who hates dogs. I don't want to live in that world!

And maybe "teach" wasn't the right word. I guess all dogs can swim instinctively? Shit, I don't know! Not a dog person! Are some too scared to get in the water?!? It is LITERALLY the only reason someone would throw a dog in the water besides being a crazy person who hates dogs. I don't want to live in that world!

are you accusing paul scheer of throwing the dog in the water.?

So I decided to already watch the movie before the episode, as I find doing it in reverse sort of spoils the fun of the movie, and this one seemed a dozie based on the trailer. But I'm not sure it's really "so bad it's good", though it is bad.

The camerawork is quite good, the film generally looks pretty. And some of the script is alright, though it relies on voiceovers to explain pretty much the whole plot. And the kid is doing fine, as is, I have to admit, Eugene Levy. His role is absurdly cliché, but it did make me chuckle anyway because he is just so good at it.

The most spectacular problem with the movie is the titular Gooby though. Gooby is very, very creepy. His face barely moves, except in one scene. His speaking is therefore completely implausible to be his, like it's Howard the Duck. Even though tis is 2009... And even though he supposedly is a teddy bear come to life, he's adult sized. This is never explained, and therefore it's impossible not to think he's that size because they chose to use a live actor to play him. Occasionally he does move like a stuffed bear might, but usually he just seems like a clumsy overweight middle-aged man. And this is a problem for the kind of role he's supposed to play. Gooby and Willie have the sort of relationship Elliot and ET have, but while it's cute with a small alien, it's extremely disturbing with an adult-sized hairy chubby blob of a thing who burps and farts and does very little else.

I do think the disturbingness is more than clumsy writing though. The mother and the lazily sketched nanny character (who disappears halfway through the film with no explanation) are completely irrelevant to the emotional core of the story. This is all about the relationships between boys and men... fathers and otherwise. In the eighties you might find a children's film with accidentally no noteworthy female characters, but in 2009? That suggests a particular obsession of the creators. Britta Perry would find this movie a goldmine of male daddy issues.

Also I am also seriously disappointed that the blue two-headed aliens only featured in the very beginning of the movie. They're awesome and SO much less scary than Gooby.

oh my god that thing from "Gooby" sent chills down my spine. it literally looks that dog man from that weird scene in "The Shining" where all the ghosts start to appear.

IlluminatiWatcherDotCom-The-Shining-46.jpg

Maybe Gooby is the first of a 3-part film trilogy that ends with The Shining. We're just missing the really dark 2nd chapter where everything goes wrong for Gooby and he eventually arrives at The Overlook Hotel where he's forced to give blow jobs to strangers in order to sustain his pricey heroin habit.

• Like 1

Maybe Gooby is the first of a 3-part film trilogy that ends with The Shining. We're just missing the really dark 2nd chapter where everything goes wrong for Gooby and he eventually arrives at The Overlook Hotel where he's forced to give blow jobs to strangers in order to sustain his pricey heroin habit.

So "The Shining" ISN'T the really dark chapter? Jesus...

Sign in to follow this