🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 143 — Gameface

Joe Wengert, Will Hines, Neil Casey, and Mitch Magee were all in a five man UCB sketch team in NYC called Gameface. Now they are a four man improv team that performs in Los Angeles and are on today’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! Join them as they look into the future where students will do reports on emojis, visit an intense underground cooking class, and investigate the mystery behind a sweating glass of water. Plus, Matt shares the details for the new Case Closed Challenge. Humans, check out Joe Wengert’s Comedy Central Half Hour on July 18th at 12:30 am PST & be sure to watch many of the stars of improv4humans on the new Hulu series called Hotwives of Orlando. This is some funny shit and it’s available now. Also, improv4humans with Matt Besser will be LIVE in Montreal July 23-26th at the Just For Laughs Festival featuring John Gemberling, Horatio Sanz, and Zach Woods! Don’t forget to get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

WENGERT!

also i love neil casey, there is just something about the way he talks... I feel like he would get along well with Lord ALW

• Like 6

I think challenges are really wrong. Why challenge people to do things and why debate? Debate is awful. If you like debating then you are wrong about everything. Matt really missed the mark here on liking debate. Case closed.

• Like 5

I liked the lazy aspect of this episode. I don't mean that in a bad way, it just seems like sometimes the energy is really frenetic in some of the scene work of previous episodes, and I liked how this one was like a nice stroll, and still really funny. I enjoyed the breathing room.

Too bad short form is way better than long form. *swims in pile of money obtained from doing short form improv*

• Like 4

Another incredible episode. Can I be on Case Closed and just talk about how brilliant this show is? Not really an argument but still!

• Like 1

Wait, that microwave nachos video hasn't been on the show before? I guess as I type this that maybe it was on Fogelnest Files?

It was making me feel like a crazy person that Matt never said, "wait we've watched this before" But I guess I just got confused because there aren't many other audio podcasts that play videos

• Like 2

Wait, that microwave nachos video hasn't been on the show before? I guess as I type this that maybe it was on Fogelnest Files?

It was making me feel like a crazy person that Matt never said, "wait we've watched this before" But I guess I just got confused because there aren't many other audio podcasts that play videos

Don't take this away from me Shannon, it's all I have!

• Like 1

One of the things I learned early in life is to always trust someone wearing a wolf mask, especially if they're holding a knife in your kitchen.

i4h, you nailed it!

I would love to hear Matt Besser and Greg Proops just talk about long form and short form in a non-argumentative manner. I know Mr. Besser has stated his disdain and frustrations with short form and its popularity multiple times, but it would be interesting to hear someone ingrained in that world explain his perspective and express his views on long form.

They kind-of-sort-of danced around it on

of Getting Doug with High they both appeared on (and Mr. Proops seemed to have some fun denigrating BAD short form improv) but I really would like to hear them talk about it in a focused discussion (not debate).
  • Like 2

I think most of the Whose Line guys have real improv background in Second City and would probably agree with a lot of what Matt says.

I'm marking down the Emoji scene and the cooking scene right after it for the next best of!

The way Matt opened that cooking scene was a little like the Ian Roberts/Matt Walsh sketch from 'Infested With Friars' episode of the UCB show. I love that incredibly drawn out over-explanation.

I haven't seen much of Neil, but I feel like he has that same kind of thing in him that Lennon Parham and Mookie do; where he'll just go into a strong character choice right off the bat in a scene. Funny stuff.

• Like 1

Hey Thomas,

I wrote a real long post on the dork thing and I thought you did a nice job summarizing, so thanks for that.

and Matt,

I really wasn't trying to bait you--I really believe that you came off jerky and incoherent on the "Don't be a Dork" episode. If someone goes to a drum circle with a keyboard, that's fine--but if someone goes to the library rather than the big college game, they're acting inappropriately?

Also, it was unclear: I don't want to be on Case Closed because I wrote a big-ass post on the subject already. Also, this is a real dumb topic to get sucked into.

As always, I enjoyed the show.

Matt Besser,

Listen mate, if you want someone to come on and argue that short-form is an art form, I could do that all day. I believe it is and I believe it's a vital part of the world of Improv.

T

I have recently found this podcast and absolutely love it. I've been listening to all of these episodes and have been enjoying it immensely.

One thing that bothered me previously but came up in this episode was the way that Matt used the term "Coward of the County". He's referencing the old Kenny Rogers song, which is cool. However, the "Coward" in that song was the hero. He was showing the conviction of his beliefs by not being easily goaded into a fight for the sake of fighting.

I don't mind that Matt might consider these people to be cowards. They are. I just recommend that he doesn't reference the song.