🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Yes, fucking garbage. But such wonderful, magnificent garbage.

Yes, fucking garbage. But such wonderful, magnificent garbage.

I wish I could agree. Maybe if it had been even remotely self-aware, it would have saved it (or if using more than 10% of her brain hadn't made her act like Rain Man) . I normally like bad, over-the-top movies, but I hated this as much as everyone else seems to hate BvS.

Do you think this would make a good HDTGM movie, or would it be too crappy to watch and pick apart?

I am about 40 minutes into this movie and I 10000000% agree it should be on HDTGM

• Like 2

HOW HAS THIS MOVIE NOT BEEN DONE YET? From the stock footage of animals screwing to an advanced super-computer delivering tons of knowledge on a magic USB drive with green screen sparkly stars on it, this movie is batshit insane!

I just watched this the other day and I lost count of the number of times I painfully said out loud, "Seriously?" And I was watching it alone.

They have to do this movie!!!

• Like 2

It's weird because Besson is no dummy and is capable of making really good films (Nikita, 5th Element, Leon, Big Blue) but he clearly didn't give a fuck on this one. The premise is barely thought through, Morgan Freeman is acting in paycheck mode (god bless him), and Scarjo's limited range is a hindrance here. I think the Malick-y moments like when she calls her mother are actually the best part of the film, and show the potential for what could have been.

Someone mentioned Transcendence, which is a very apt comprison -- both films about people becoming USB drives, both films refuse to believe the audience is smart enough to explore the philosophical implications of superhuman intelligence, devolving into CGI battles instead of actual writing.

• Like 1

It's weird because Besson is no dummy and is capable of making really good films (Nikita, 5th Element, Leon, Big Blue) but he clearly didn't give a fuck on this one.

Notice that the most recent of those films will be 20 years old this May. I think his best days are far, far behind him.

It's amazing looking at Besson's filmography and seeing he made crazy movies before but this one is just like "well they gave me a nice check and two huge leading actors, let's see what they will let me get away with." To me it's like reading certain comic book writers who have worked for both the big two (DC/Marvel) and then independent or smaller publishers (IDW/Boom/Avatar/Self published). When they work under the leash of editors at the big two they do great work, but the writers and various fans go about how much greater they would be out from under the thumb of these busy body editors who stifle their creativity, prime examples being Alan Moore, Gail Simone, Grant Morrison, and Frank Miller.

Yet when these same writers are given total control of what they put on paper, more often than not we see why they are put on a leash to begin with because the end product is something so attempting to be heady while just being apparently drug or crazy induced that it's almost unreadable. Alan Moore and Frank Miller are probably the biggest culprits of this as those two are certifiably insane and it clearly shows in their work, Holy Terror being a prime example for Miller and The Century Trilogy of the League of Extraordinary Gentleman for Moore where he has Harry Potter revealed as the Anti-Christ who then kills Alan Quartermain by shooting a lightning bolt from his dick, yes I'm serious.

I feel that it's almost reverse for Besson where he worked outside the major companies and had huge success but when working for the bigger Hollywood studios, he's given an good size of money for an non-reboot/sequel/adaptation and is apparently left to his own devices with what's been given to him, and the previous success in the vein of being enjoyable doesn't translate as well.

This is still one of the most enjoyable bad movie viewings I've had in-theater. I went in expecting something good and as my disappointment grew with every 'what the fuck?!' I eventually just started pulling at the string to unravel this thing. Turns out the string was one of those magic never ending scarves and it took me down a rabbit hole where space-time collapsed into a singularity of 'holy shit!'

To this day it may be my #1 wish for HDTGM candidates.

• Like 1

To this day it may be my #1 wish for HDTGM candidates.

Absolutely! I would love to see just how many "bonkers" moments this movie would illicit from Jason. I'm not even sure the dance scene from Gamer can top the Scarjo becoming a super-computer and going back in time to visit the first female human scene. I think the icing on the cake for that scene is that she takes the rolly chair with her. I laughed out loud! I'm just picturing her scooting her chair around time and space :)

• Like 1

It's weird because Besson is no dummy and is capable of making really good films (Nikita, 5th Element, Leon, Big Blue)

I would add "The Family" (2013) to that list

Someone mentioned Transcendence, which is a very apt comprison

61972515.jpg

I’ve gotta bump this bonkers piece of shit because—spoiler alert—it’s the only film I know of that turns its ordinary heroine into a superhuman ass-kicker and then—in the climax—a USB drive. I will bump this movie until there’s a solid reason given not to do it. It is one of the most insane mainstream movies—that thinks it’s profound!—that I have seen.

On 7/28/2014 at 10:40 PM, RyanSz said:

What's funnier is the fact this movie is sold on the idea of a person having access to 100% of their brain, but in reality humans DO use 100% of their brain, just not all at the same time. I assume if a person did use 100% of their brain all at once it would look something like this.

scanners4.gif

I remember how this was the only thing I could think of the entire time I saw the trailer. Like, the whole movie is based around an old misconception!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this