đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
agata

Episode 166 - Fandom

The Professor Blastoff gang is back to talk about Tig's ex-boyfriend, Kelly Clarkson, spider bites, and krav maga. Then, fellow Earwolf hosts Jason and Randy Sklar come into the hatch to talk about fandom in sports, music, meeting Dennis Miller, and dealing with different kinds of fans. Tune in for lots of interesting insights from the gang!

• Like 1

requesting just a full episode ragging on dennis miller and bill maher

• Like 1

I love when the Sklars come down to the Hatch. Great episode!

• Like 2

10/10 Blastronauts would listen to the podcast...

"3 Carsons and a Ham" aka "Weird Stuff" starring Kyle and the Sklar Bros.

• Like 3

So much silliness! Great episode. The Miller story was incredible, what a piece of garbage.

• Like 2

Triple the Carson's triple the fun! Also Triple Miller's was pretty amazing as well!

Disclaimer: Sorry if I make this all about me, but I am a fan.

I totally get that some performers may not feel they owe their fans anything. They are entitled to have that feeling. Being a great actor or athlete doesn’t necessarily go hand in hand with being a sweet person. That being the case, it is so great that there are performers who are (or at least act) kind, friendly, respectful, even affectionate toward their fans.

I love the Sklar Brothers. My kids (now 24 and 21) and I watched every episode of Cheap Seats many times to the point of memorizing lines and imitating Randy and Jason. Their humor is never hurtful and comes from such an honest place, it really touched us all.

Sklarbro Country was one of the first podcasts I ever heard and I have listened to every episode. When I took my wife and daughter (our son was too young at the time) to see them perform at Gotham in NYC, they gave a great show. They left the stage and moved to the exit to greet every member of the audience that wanted to say hi. I got a chance to talk with the guys for a minute and they took a picture with me. They spoke to my wife and were delighted to see I had brought my daughter. They autographed the Sklarbro shirt I was wearing and, as my daughter recorded the video, they both said (at the same time), “You have the coolest Dad ever!” It is one of the highlights of my life.

I love the Professor Blastoff crew. I have listened to every episode and been lucky enough to have been a guest on three episodes. Like all of their fans, I love the way their real friendship seems to extend magically to include us all. Their friendly joking with each other really makes each listener feel like part of the gang down in the hatch. I took my daughter to see the PBO live shows at the Bell House in Brooklyn and each time as we left each of the gang took a moment to shake hands and say hi and make every fan feel appreciated. David even joined a bunch of us before the show for a little chat and a cool beer. He may not think he’s a big star, but we think he’s pretty special. During the Q&A, I told Tig that I loved her and the audience backed me up giving her an ovation that told her the feeling was unanimous. My daughter and I caught Kyle doing a set at the Comedy Cellar in NYC and he was so nice to us, taking time to chat a bit and inviting us to join him after the show.

My point is not that I am special, but that these wonderful performers are special. Podcasting is an odd one-way relationship where the performers reveal so much about themselves, just like close friends do. As fans, we feel so close to them, even though they don’t know us at all. It could be very awkward to meet someone under those circumstances, but every time I have been lucky enough to meet or communicate with these folks they have been generous and gracious. Not to drop names, but I have to include Stephen Tobolowsky, Todd Barry, Michael Che, Hannibal Burris, Chris Hardwick, Matt Mira, Marc Maron, Dan Pashman, Chelsea Peretti, Chris D’Elia, Michael Ian Black, Jonah Ray and Larry Miller in the group of super-nice performers who have been kind to me.

Social media makes many of these folks accessible to us fans. I don’t blame those performers who shy away from it for whatever reason, but it does provide a non-invasive means of communicating on one’s own terms. I recommend it.

Finally, it goes without saying that kindness and respect is a two-way street. As much as I wanted to say hello to Artie Lange when I saw him outside the Comedy Cellar, he was talking to someone else and it didn’t seem right to bother him, so I didn’t. And when they are performing is not the time to express one’s fandom (in a way other than laughter, applause and listening attentively). When I think about it, I have nothing earth-shaking to say to any of these wonderful people of whom I am a fan other than, “I love what you do. Thanks for doing it. I am a fan.”

Welp, that’s been comment.

• Like 3

A couple of weeks ago when the Sklars were on CBB!, some folks over there were dumping on them, but I don't get it. I've always found them to be enjoyable and pretty likable dudes. Guess some people just want to drag the world down, man! Good episode.

Wait a minute - surely a throat-rip isn't Krav Maga - it's McGruber?!

Gutted to hear Tig is coming to Birmingham cos I aint got a pot to p#ss in nor a window to throw it out of. But would've loved to seen you Tig cos you're about the funniest lady I've ever heard.