Episode 146 — Fleeces & Jesus with Chris Farren

26 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

Colton Dunn, Pamela Murphy, and Alex Fernie are here along with special musical guest Chris Farren of Fake Problems for a musical edition of improv4humans with Matt Besser! Chris treats us by playing some songs which serve as inspiration for improvised scenes about a member of a band who only sits back & gets high, giving that special someone a gift that really benefits yourself, a store that specializes in “Fleeces & Jesus,” and much more! Humans of San Francisco, improv4humans with Matt Besser will be LIVE at San Francisco’s Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival on Saturday, August 9th at 2pm with special guests Chris Gethard, Lauren Lapkus, and Seth Morris! Be sure to watch many of the stars of improv4humans on the new Hulu series called Hotwives of Orlando. This is some funny shit and it’s available now. Make sure to get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Fake Problems’ music over at www.fakeproblems.com.

#2 Butt Park

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Nice. Just a few hours ago I listened to the recent Todd Glass Show that Chris was on. Good songs and a funny guy too. This should be a good episode.

#3 createtildeath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hilarious! When Colton Dunn asked Besser to read the letter as a Casey Kasem and he paused and said..."What's that?"...jesus christ I busted up uncontrollably. Normally, awesome, I laugh at this podcast on the regular. But I'm at work, in an office, using headphones, and everyone just looked at me like I lost my mind. But that probable happens every day as I'm usually listening to Improv 4 Humans here daily.
My band could use a guy that just sits back and gets high btw, thanks for the idea!

createtildeath.com
JASON COPE
GRAPHIC DESIGNER

#4 frostedbutts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

These bands I4H keeps having are terrible. They aren't bands, actually. They're just these pedro the lion douchebags one after the other. Really steps on the flow of the show and seems like a pointless addition.

#5 createtildeath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Harsh frostedbutts, but I see your point. A podcast isn't the best format for an epic 6 piece band though, so that explains the smaller singer/songwriter types. But ultimately, I think it's just another way to spark the improv, like twitter suggestions or crap on YouTube. It's just a new fresh way to inspire the scenes.
JASON COPE
GRAPHIC DESIGNER

#6 Shannon

• Administrators
  • 955 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

P-Dawg!!! (P-dawg is Pam?)

love her so

#7 logorrhean

Professional Falcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

GROOVE BABIES!
"You just Cosmos'd in your pants."

#8 KajusX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Me alway <3 improv4hUmans
Likes: Tomatoes, umbrellas (all kinds), some dogs, most cats

#9 KajusX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

@frostedbutts 4 posts on these boards. All complaints. 3 complaining about musical guests. 2 comparisons to Pedro the Lion. What's your deal? Lazy trolling? Passionate hatred for anything that reminds you of Pedro the Lion? What did Pedro the Lion do to you?
Likes: Tomatoes, umbrellas (all kinds), some dogs, most cats

#10 Brett Morris

Earwolf Engineer

• Administrators
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

View Postfrostedbutts, on 07 August 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

These bands I4H keeps having are terrible. They aren't bands, actually. They're just these pedro the lion douchebags one after the other. Really steps on the flow of the show and seems like a pointless addition.

well I like them, so I canceled out your opinion forever. and bazan was one of my favorites, so double cancel.
i'm lead audio engineer at earwolf.

please check out my band scattered suns.

find me on twitter @brettsbrain.

#11 Bruce Reid Robinson II

No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Just came to agree with everyone except for frostedbutts. I like Matt's taste, Colton Dunn is one of my favorites on this show, oh yeah and Pam Murphy kills

#12 Justin K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

I really liked Chris Farren, I never heard of him bebore. I'm trying to cut out his first song, the acoustic version of eagle eyes, really beautifull!!
I thought david bazan was great too, Improv4Humans introduced me to him aswell.

#13 Cameronm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Fleeces & Jesus bit was hysterical, nice work guys!

#14 Cameronm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

View Postfrostedbutts, on 07 August 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Every single comment you have on here is negative, every one. Don't you have better things to do than bitch about a free podcast? The music isn't always my style per se but I always enjoy it and it adds a different element to the show and they usually get some great bits from it.

#15 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Guys, give Mr. Butts a break, he's absolutely right - this wasn't a band, actually, it was a solo singer-songwriter.

Fantastic episode.

#16 Hot - Slunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Fernie's twist by going bland and 'wanting to work at the orchard supply store'; and then ultimately not getting a job there was really great.

Good callbacks about the attempted murder throughout.
Check out my podcast! A friend and I watch an old show and do some bits.

Newest episode: Applied Nostalgia - 106 - TRICK OR TREAT SPECIAL! (Meego and Emeril)

#17 Joe Lerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

HAVIN' SEX WITH A MUTANT HUMAN,
IT'S SPLICE!

#18 Dan Engler

The Wolf Dan

• Moderators
  • 637 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

I lived in Naples until I was 21, and it's always weird hearing it namechecked in the real world. For a tropical paradise, it's a real shithole.

#19 ericmci

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

I like music, I like comedy.
But I have to say that I find myself skipping through the musical guest here.
Artists I like as well, and I know it's another way to spark improv- I can appreciate the cleverness but I find it to be a gear change
I don't enjoy here.
I have a similar experience when a stand up opens for a live band.
Two great tastes that for me don't taste great together.

#20 Cody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

View Postericmci, on 10 August 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

I like music, I like comedy.
But I have to say that I find myself skipping through the musical guest here.
Artists I like as well, and I know it's another way to spark improv- I can appreciate the cleverness but I find it to be a gear change
I don't enjoy here.
I have a similar experience when a stand up opens for a live band.
Two great tastes that for me don't taste great together.

Lucky for you, this is a podcast, and not a live band, so you have the option of fast forwarding if you don't like it. Your opinion is noted. Now can everyone stop whining about the music you don't like on the free podcasts you listen to?