๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 91 โ€” The 1st Annual Howdies Pt. 1

ย 

Almost positive that was from Cobra... but someone please correct me if i'm wrong

ย 

No correction needed... They are talking about Brigitte Nielsen in "Cobra"

ย 

ย 

1136_3_3-e1406975995242.jpg

The movie awards event of the year! :D

Insider chatter suggests that Paul is going to get a Wolfie nomination for writing on the 2014 Howdies. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

ย 

Almost positive that was from Cobra... but someone please correct me if i'm wrong

ย 

Thanks! 56:50 on that episode

Great stuff. Favorite moments:

- Jason's uncontrolled wheezing laugh at "What is a Street Fighter?"

- June's reaction to the "Howard flaps his wings" clip

- Everyone's reaction (especially Jason's) to "Ben Affleck is Rudolph." "His name is Rudy!"

• Like 3

Not just the best awards show (period), but SUCH a great trip down memory lane!

ย 

If you want to turn anyone on to HDTGM, this is the place to start because it has everything.... and is hilarious from start to finish.

ย 

I want that "play them off" music as my ring tone now!

ย 

(For the record: We all know "Pasta Robot" should have won. Studio execs got to you guys, didn't they?)

• Like 4

I'm only 16 mins in and this is already one of my favorites. Freakin Guy LaFarge.

• Like 2

from justin to kelly had the best revelation. thought it was pretty obvious.

Guru Tugginmapuddah. How did that not win worst name?

ย 

Halloween 3 was robbed in the nominations: Ellie Grimbridge, Marge Gutterman, Buddy Kupfer (As in "what's a kupfer? for drinking beverages, silly!), the list goes on...

• Like 1

How was Doug Benson's Droopy Dog/Edward impersonation from Twilight not part of the nominations???

• Like 1

Good on Paul for shutting down the replay of the Howard the Duck-discussion here on the Howdies :)

ย 

But jeez. Let's clarify the Street Fighter discussion. So many laughs directed at June, but then all the guys completely fail to adequately describe just what a "Street Fighter" is. Simply put, they would be someone who fights, but doesn't do it professionally. That's it. You don't fight in a ring - you're not a boxer. You don't fight in an octagon - you're not a mixed martial artist. You're not a pro-wrestler. You're not a pro-hockey player. You fight wherever, like on the streets. Kimbo Slice-style. Street Fighter = done. Not hard, you guys :)

ย 

Is is similar to Fight Clubs, but that is still an organization of some sort. These are just people who get into, or happen to get into, fights anywhere. And can fight really well. They've all learned some sort of fighting style at some point in their lives, but that's not where their careers are based around.

ย 

They all have jobs. Guile is a soldier, Chun Li is a spy or investigative journalists or something, etc. Ryu is a martial artist, but a "pure" one - he goes to the mountains and whatnot to train, he doesn't sign a contract with Pride FC or something. So fighting is not their profession. Their fights aren't legally sanctioned by any officiating body. There aren't any referees. They're street fighters like that. I think that's clarification enough, yes? I hope it is. This needs to be put to sleep :)

ย 

Also the Howard the Duck evolution thing. But someone else needs to do that. I think it would require explaining evolution from scratch and that sounds like it could take awhile for people who don't get it. It even takes Ted Ed 5 minutes to do it (

). That's 5 minutes too many to explain how the ducks evolved into upright species, how the human-like duck breasts were a genetic mutation several ancestors ago, how the gene pool changed over time, and how the "Howard level"-ducks are the equivalent of where Humans are, evolution-wise, on their planet. But this is not a fun discussion to have... ever.... ever

ย 

I loved this ep! I was losing my sh** for so much of this stuff, even though I heard it before. I don't care - any time anyone does a Al Pacino or Sly Stallone impression it's hilarious. All of the guests - comedians and movie-makers - are amazing. The stories are crazy (still can't believe about Crocodile Dundee 3)... man, HDTGM is amazing! It's so weird the first Howdies happened after no.90 though, but I can't wait until episode 181 to hear the next Howdies :D

• Like 1

Awesome episode! Only thing I could've done without was Paul's excitement for Jack O'Halloran's contributions during the Superman III ep. That dude sounds like such an insecure, desperate bully and he bums me the F out.

• Like 5

Awesome episode! Only thing I could've done without was Paul's excitement for Jack O'Halloran's contributions during the Superman III ep. That dude sounds like such an insecure, desperate bully and he bums me the F out.

ย 

Yes, totally agree. Wasn't a fan of his self-aggrandizement at the expense of a deceased, beloved star the first time, didn't really need to hear it again with an implicit endorsement.

• Like 4

I would have loved for Erica Oyama's Sly Stallone impression to have been in there. It was brief, but great.

ย 

Also June's description of the sex scene in Reindeer Games (I think) where she describes Ben Affleck's hip/ass as 'minotaur' like.

• Like 1

Yes, totally agree. Wasn't a fan of his self-aggrandizement at the expense of a deceased, beloved star the first time, didn't really need to hear it again with an implicit endorsement.

ย 

Yeah, I'd nominate O'Halloran for Worst Guest, all things considered. The other "inside" guests like Trejo or Lexi Alexander, who were all not only honest and forthright, but full of good humor and hilarity, O'Halloran just came off as a blow hard at best. Even if his stories weren't full of bullshit, he was bragging about being large and being from a connected crime family which helped him intimidate beloved actor Christopher Reeve. Good job?

ย 

O'Halloran is the exception that proves the rule though. Every other guest has just... been great. They've all brought something to the show, from the quiet insights of Nathan Fielder to the LOVEABLE LAUGHING ALL THE TIME of Pete Holmes, from the befuddled Eddie Pepitone to the inside nerd knowledge of Cameron Esposito. It's all fucking good. So fucking good. All of it.

ย 

I mean, just looking through the episode list, we had ED FUCKING BRUBAKER as a guest! Holy hell. For me, a comic book nerd, that's like getting Martin Scorsese on a podcast to talk about mob movies.

ย 

The Fade Out #1, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, on sale now!

unnamed-11.jpg

• Like 5

To be fair, It's not exactly a secret that Reeve got carried away with himself after Superman The Movie. He famously fought bitterly with Margot Kidder on Superman IV.

ย 

Although to his credit, he seemed to come back down to earth by the early 90s.

• Like 1

it has taken me a solid 2 days to get through this pod. mainly because i find every excuse to rewind and replay any instance where jason is forced into to his dry, chirpy, contagious fits of laughter.

ย 

zouks and holmes reenacting pacino bobbling a cell phone also had me wheezing.

• Like 6

hey guys

ย 

I am the one who sent the numbers in and just to correct/update some stuff:

ย 

its now upto 11.1 days approx in time spent watching the movies and listening to the show

ย 

the total cost (all values taken from Wikipedia so they probably aren't 100% accurate) is $4,571,260,000

ย 

the total box office (again from Wikipedia) is $9,703,980,008

ย 

so I think that's 4.5 billion and nearly 10 billion respectively โ€ฆ with a B?

ย 

I started putting these numbers together last year and built on them as we went along. my spreadsheet skills aren't that great so there's probably a lot of errors and not all numbers were available or they may have changed since I put them in.

ย 

if you want to look at the spreadsheet I threw it up on google docs. Here's the link: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

ย 

ย 

if you see errors then please feel free to correct

• Like 5

I'm hoping it makes an appearance in part two, but I was surprised Lesley Arfin's description of evil Ernest being HOT. AS. FUCK. and June's reply that he was "oozing sexuality" wasn't included. One of the highlights from the recent episodes.

CAN WE TALK ABOUT STARD'S V-O WORK?!

ย 

Honestly. So metal.

ย 

I hope that was a life goal for him, because it is for me. Maybe this is how Stard breaks into the tight world of V-O work.

• Like 1

zouks and holmes reenacting pacino bobbling a cell phone also had me wheezing.

ย 

My husband and I keep doing Zouks' Pacino "Oh, OH!" from the beginning of that clip at weird times to crack each other up.

• Like 3