🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HunterJE

How did you start listening to Nerd Poker?

32 members have voted

1. 1. How did you get in to Nerd Poker?

• Comedy
    • Gaming
    • Other

The show intro today made me wonder—how many people found NP while looking for comedy content versus looking for gaming content? Or if it was recommended by a friend, what made you interested in listening, the comedy angle or the gaming angle? (I know, it was likely a mix for most, but which predominated?)

I was generally aware of Posehn's work, and was a pretty dedicated Earwolf listener when NP came out; when it first came out I though, "huh, that sounds fun, and I miss having RPGs in my life." The next time I had a gap in my podcast roster checked it out and was hooked. So my in was primarily comedy.

Both...reading up on RPG stuff, noticed Brian's name, tangented off into listening to his comedy, tried out an NP cast while doing it...lots of episodes later it's also his fault I'm listening to How Did This Get Made obsessively.

So I voted "other" cuz it was kind of a mess, but I guess primarily gaming led me to Earwerf.

I think I got into it after watching the Comedians of Comedy movies on Netflix.. that was when Brian and Blaine really got my attention. I think shortly after that, I followed them on twitter, and that's how I heard about NP, pretty early on.

I also played DnD when I was in my teens, but I wasn't out looking for a DnD podcast--Nerd Poker was actually my first podcast ever. But I love the combination of good comedy and a bit o' fun RP'ing!

Kevin Smith mentioned it on a Smodcast. He was trying to find a project to keep Jason Mewes sober and had thoughts on a gaming podcast, but Nerd Poker already existed. I instantly tuned in and have been obsessed ever since.

Purely from a gaming perspective. Someone recommended it when I mentioned at some point that I play D&D. Beyond his appearance in Brütal Legend I'd never heard of Brian and wouldn't otherwise have known him from a sheep. The others even less so.

The perfectionist DM in me winces everytime someone rolls an attack for Magic Missile, but since it's funny and has a great story, I love it.

I heard Brian on some other podcasts say he was starting his own and immediately wanted to check it out. Then I heard it was going to be D&D and was double stoked.

I'd been curious about D&D for a couple of years, but never had the chance to play and didn't really have an 'in'. I was getting a bit bored with my slate of podcasts and it might have been my roommate or a coworker who told me about Nerd Poker, so I checked it out. Glad I did! I learned a little about D&D, got curious enough to follow the rabbit-hole further, and have had fun listening to the story Plinko-game its way ever further into weirdness with these guys.

"The perfectionist DM in me winces everytime someone rolls an attack for Magic Missile, but since it's funny and has a great story."

They started out with 4th Ed until they realized the tabletop focus was incongruous with their recording setup. Magic Missile was not autohit in 4e. Which WotC remedied for 5e.

I was actually looking for a poker podcast about a week before this aired, which was coincidental since Ihappen to know one of the participants.

I bumped into a buddy of mine at a hallowe'en party in 2013 and mentioned to him another D&D podcast I listen to.

He refered me here and it's been awesome ever since.

I'm not sure how he found you originally. I'll have to maple syrup-board him to find out that information.

• Like 1

I heard about it on Comedy Bang Bang a few months before it came out and thought it sounded interesting. I've never played D&D before and am not even really that big of a fan of Posehn's stand up. Not that I don't like it or anything, I just didn't know it well. I checked it out anyways and loved it; Gerry and his damn Spirit Bear sucked me in and that was that.

I've been watching Sark since like 2010 and when he mentioned he was on a podcast I looked that shit up as soon as possible.

So Sark is a YouTube personality? I noticed he had 200k Twitter followers but could never figure out how he got that big or even what he did. I just Googled him again and saw this video here and watched it to see what his deal was.

If you skip ahead to 6:50, he says that he misses Nerd Poker and wants to eventually go back. Immediately before that (around 6:00) he says he won't ever go back to some other show, so it sounds potentially promising. I would love him DMing again and the new cast rolling new characters so bad. I still love the podcast but it that would be amazing

I found it through him promoting it or some one on Earwolf mentioning it. I played D&D in school when I was younger and was always a fan of Brian from the Mr. Show days. So to me it was two great things coming together. I knew Blaine from Beat the Geeks back in the day but didn't know the rest. I became a fan of the friends and it rekindled my love of D&D.

Magic Missile was not autohit in 4e. Which WotC remedied for 5e.

I did not know this. I only ever play odd-numbered editions.

For me it popped up as an episode of Earwolf Presents and I knew that Brian is a funny guy. I've always liked dice and card games so I was excited to listen and have been doing so ever since. I'm slowly listening to it all again from the beginning actually and it's always fun because I'll hear something and it'll remind me of what I was doing when I first listened to it, which at the time was a lot of walking around downtown from my work to the main office.

Anyhow see ya guys later.

• Like 1

I have never played DnD and just got into listening to podcasts at the beginning of last year. I started with the Cracked Podcast and from there started listening to HDTGM. Fortunately, I have plenty of time at work to listen to podcasts, so once I was caught up with HDTGM, I was looking for something else. I was familiar with Brian's comedy, and one of my favorite movies is Gamers: Dorkness Rising so I thought Nerd Poker would be a perfect fit. I was not disappointed and have been listening ever since.

So, to answer the question, um, "Other?"

Sign in to follow this