🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MikeRiede

Not of fan of musical episodes, mostly due to the musicians

I don't mind the music, althought it's not my cup of tea.

It's just that the songs, according to the explanations the artists give, are always so lacking in anything motivating for a scene.

Maybe I'm just feeling this due to the last episode where this problem came up the most, but these post-punk singers just whine and whine about girls and people and the simplest of emotions and give nothing crazy to work from.

I'm NOT a fan of Mastodon, but just as an example, imagine them comming on and explaining one of their insane songs and the images it would build.

I guess in a nutshell these singers Besser goes for just have bad lyrics and girlfriend/friend songs all the time.

Acoustic indie post-punk songs don't go with improv.

(I know I don't know what those genre labels I used mean)

Don't hate me.

Then it's a good thing for you episodes without musical guests are still being made. Personally, I don't mind them so much. Sometimes I'm not to into the all the bands, but I've loved Lagwagon since I was a pre-teen back in the 1990s... so I liked the last one a lot. I think it's cool to see Besser doing different stuff.

• Like 1

I think it's cool to see Besser doing different stuff. This is the thing. The music episodes are the worst to listen to, unless the two times they're good, but I can't grudge a guy for playing around with his own show. Straight improv must get repetitive. It can get boring. Music, especially the bands you love, is fun to Besser, and he's got super lease.

Pretty sure Matt is a fan of NOFX, I think someone like Fat Mike would work well with this format.

I've had a very hard time listening to the singer-songwriter style that most of the musical guests on I4H play... it's just so cringe-worthy to me. Completely subjective - I just have to skip past the songs most of the time.

new to this show but love it. glad the first thing i can post about is a complaint. also always sad when there's a musical guest. lots of fast forwarding...

Just here to represent the demographic that actually quite likes the musical guests. But maybe Besser and I have similar tastes in music. For my sake I hope the hate to love for musical guests on this forum post isn't statistically accurate.

• Like 3

The idea to mix live music with improv is sound. It creates opportunities that might not be there otherwise. However, I usually just fast forward through the music part since I'm generally not interested in the band.

I equate it to SNL where the host is usually the least funny thing going on. The host/players format is sort of required, but ultimately only a few hosts are ever any good at live sketch comedy and the burden of funny falls to the players.

I'd listen to Matt B. and crew do just about anything so I can't go negative about these improv 4 humans episodes.

I love I4H but I'd rather the musician/improv episodes be on their own separate podcast. I skip over all the musician episodes now because I want to laugh, not listen to a singer/songwriter. Regardless, I love Matt B and all the improvisers he has on. They are hilarious!

While I prefer the episodes without a musical guest, I can appreciate MattyB doing what he wants with the show. He wants to give his favorite musicians the venue to play a nice intimate and unplugged set, then have some people do some improv/have some laughs.

I would also argue that while sometimes the songs don't always have comedic content, the improvisers that are on here are so good that they can find something funny to connect it to from their own experiences. The scenes inspired by the songs are just as good, but I can understand the above poster's sentiment.

Also, have me on Matt ;) www.soundcloud.com/face-like-thunder

Then it's a good thing for you episodes without musical guests are still being made. Personally, I don't mind them so much. Sometimes I'm not to into the all the bands, but I've loved Lagwagon since I was a pre-teen back in the 1990s... so I liked the last one a lot. I think it's cool to see Besser doing different stuff.

+1 on liking Lagwagon in that same era.

On legal speed the american way!

I came here to disagree, but by the end of your post I was disappointed to find you had a thought out argument.

Aren't most songs about girls anyway, though? Girls or boys, or doing drugs, or how it sucks being on the road in a band. That's pretty much rock music right there. Probably going to get a better memory or scene out of something like that Rush's 2112 or whatever.

I think it helps if you have a similar musical taste to Besser, like I weirdly seem to have. When he made a TSOL reference (to Code Blue, nonetheless) it blew my mind.

I think the musical episodes are great and all the haters can suck it. Don't like it, don't listen to it. Or suck it up and expand your horizons a bit.

I actually just helped produce and performed in an Armando (asssscat) at the theater I regularly perform at, where we had a musician (solo acoustic, slow-tempo, just like i4h usually has that everyone complains about) play songs and we did scenes off them. And it was the tits and everybody really liked it. #FightTheGoodFightHumblebrag

Sign in to follow this