🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 94 — Let Him Use His Illusion!

Steve Agee is back to take on the role of Winter all while the gang figure out what to do about the two red giants with swords in their sight. Houg Denning casts an illusion of yet another giant and awaits to see how the giants respond.

Gerry isn't coming back?! Say it ain't so! I talked to Gerry at the Cincinnati Comic Con a few weeks ago and he said he would be back by the end of the year.

• Like 1

I took that as "don't hold your breath and maybe when/if the time comes he'll roll up fresh rather than stepping in to Winter."

Other notes on the ep:

-My grandfather was a 3M retiree and used to send us giant boxes of random shit from the company store, often test versions of products not yet available to general markets. I think that compulsion to send random product to anyone you can think of is somehow hammered in at hiring.

-More convinced than ever, our heroes are definitely bad guys. Not important bad guys, just small time thugs, but still.

-I really hope some day in the future Sarah finds the notation "Axe Mountain Blast" on her character sheet, has no memory of this episode, and the whole gang has to stop down to try to find an "Axe of Mountain Blast" in the enchanted weapon tables.

-Fantastic episode, you all are doing everything right. Yes, Blaine's DMing style is not a cooky cutter of Sark's; Blaine is a bit more cartoonish and haphazard if a little undirected, while Sark was more plotted but also sometimes plodding. Everyone has their ups and downs, and I'd much rather hear a variety of DM styles rather than have Blaine try to mimic Sark's style in some misguided attempt to maintain the "tone" of the podcast. Don't listen to the whiners who come and register an account just to complain, this is fantastic.

• Like 7

Also just realized that even though his was the first ep in ages where it never came up I still have "Feels So Good" stuck in my head after listening. A permanent association has been formed.

• Like 1

I love having the rotating Guest for Gerry... makes it so much fun!

Sark's last episode was in April and Gerry has had like 4 episodes all year and yet it's still in the top 50 comedy podcasts when a new ep drops. That is fantastic. Also, is there any chance of adding one or two of the fill ins on a more permanent basis?

No Gerry? Come on! And NO sark in forever!

I get the feeling Sarah is next.

I feel like I'm listening to a story version of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Extended absences and line up changes are pretty common and probably inevitable for podcasts with more than two or three indispensable people involved (cf. Professor Blastoff on this network). All things considered, they've done a fine job carrying on with who's available when. Also, it's not like this is the first long Gerry absence (recall how long it was between Ell Ryan's untimely demise and Sir Richard's appearance). He has always been an intermittent member of the party at best.

This isn't some breakdown of Nerd Poker, it's just the reality of a mature podcast with six regular players. It'd be one thing if it were a choice between the way it always was and the way it is now. But the honest truth is, the more realistic choice is between the way it is now and the gang deciding to hang it up and call it quits. And I know what I choose.

• Like 6

As a Minnesotan I get an automatic 2+ bonus to spazing out over references to Minnesota. Or the midwest in general.

Apple River Tubing Rules!

Everyone must have been into the 5-hour energy this episode. Barely any roleplaying, but it was HILARIOUS.

I stopped and leaned against a tree laughing when you were talking about the irish kid crapping into his drawers and then hiking them back up. Spoiler for this episode or not, that is hilarious.

• Like 1

I hope Gerry comes back. Every night before I go to sleep, a solitary tear rolls down my cheek and I whisper to no one in particular, "Don't forget Gerry!" It'd be great to have Sark back in the saddle again too. I should go back and re-listen to some of the early episodes for old time's sake.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this