🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 314 — Y’all Heard Any of These Names Before?

Think about any time a straight comedian talks about having sex, going out on a date, being in love, breaking up with someone, or even mentions their husband or wife.

And what might that sound like?

Loved the "I could get used to this" callback, and I'm glad someone else caught Paul's reference to Janie's Masterpiece Classic audition video.

• Like 2

This bit came together so well at the end it seems like it must have been planned for years. Which is double impressive considering it was obviously entirely made up on the spot.

• Like 7

This bit came together so well at the end it seems like it must have been planned for years. Which is double impressive considering it was obviously entirely made up on the spot.

i love how this episode came together too. It got me thinking how PFT character's seem to frequently incorporate the non character guest in such a funny way, like how by the end of this Cameron was basically the Robin to JW's Batman, or how Gillian Jacobs is now inexorably linked to the Gerry Marshall mythos or how John Hodgeman and Ice T are both honorary Whiffenpoofs.

• Like 7

He's not the World's-Best-Podcast-Guest-in-Perpetuity-and-Across-All-Universes-Extant-and-Possible for nothing...

• Like 7

"When you came out of your mother's vagina, did you look back and say, 'I could get used to this'?"

I find myself kind of fascinated by this question. I found it funny and wasn't offended by it at all, but I've been thinking about how horrendous and offensive it would be if anyone said that to a lesbian in any other context, and how demonized the person that asked it would be when people heard it.

I think it's a sign of great comedy though. It's like something Chris Morris would ask a guest on The Day Today, and one small part of a really great episode.

• Like 2

I'm just relieved that this podcast explained the weird "Missed Connections" Craiglist ad I saw:

"Circus scorpion seeking crannies. Serious inquiries only.

No nooks!"

• Like 1

Caramel yes anded the shit out of this. I mean Cameron. Always fun to hear the 'real' guests get right in the action, and she dove deep!

Edit: I can only hope that my final words are, "Take it sleazy! Catcha on the flip flop!"

• Like 9

NICE.

Well, it's Lesbian Facts and we're going downtown

Going to Silver Lake now

Everybody do your facts and trim your nails

There's boots and denim and lack of males

Get a drink at a club

Then go walk in front of UCB Theater

Lesbian Facts

Don't have a diiick!

Check out the facts, it's the Lesbian Facts

(Bro!)

This is a fucking Hall of Fame post up in here

• Like 8

NICE.

Well, it's Lesbian Facts and we're going downtown

Going to Silver Lake now

Everybody do your facts and trim your nails

There's boots and denim and lack of males

Get a drink at a club

Then go walk in front of UCB Theater

Lesbian Facts

Don't have a diiick!

Check out the facts, it's the Lesbian Facts

(Bro!)

Dats a Good sawng!

• Like 18

I'm surprised there wasn't a "Technicality No Down Boo Over" in this episode.

Technicality no down boo over?

• Like 1

Technicality no down boo over?

Technicality no down boo over!

Cameron and Tracy Reardon have similar hairstyles. Coincidence?

Do you mean to imply Stillwater's Bearcat scanner has some kind of asymmetrical-hair-seeking technology?

• Like 2

In a way, it would make you racist. Not a white-hooded, cross-burning racist, but someone who is slightly uncomfortable with minorities who want to talk about being minorities. A comedian's material is a result of their experiences. For some, being black or being lesbian was/is a prominent part of their development. You can choose not to listen to it or may not be able to relate to the humor, sure. But at the point you are expressing this opinion on a message board with the expectation that all will probably jump on this opinion with you...yeah, that's a little homophobic.

No. It's not racist at all. Who the hell said I was uncomfortable with anything? If I said I was tired of every other joke from some white comedian being about being white you wouldn't say I was being racist. It's not about her being a lesbian it's about the sheer volume and dependency of her jokes being about lesbian material. Goddamn why is that so hard to understand? My gripe is about the volume and dependency of a comedians material being about a main specific topic. The topic in this case happens to be being gay. If every other joke she said was about cats I would have said "Here we go. Take a shot everytime Cameron mentions cats and how she's a cat lady". Because I said lesbian you guys jump right into calling me homophobic and that's straight bullshit. None of you would be giving me this much shit if I complained about how much Jim Gaffigan talks about food.

this guy also hates how much walter white talks about chemicals... i mean, that guys is like walter white over there.

also, jim gaffigan and his god damned hot pockets.

and wait a minute, adomian's characters are constantly sucking dicks and eating assholes. that's some pretty gay shit all up in your grill -- personally i love it.

just please deal with the fact that comedians have jokes.

and since the best ones write about their own lives and experiences, they tend to follow a theme. it's just comedy.

i dunno, it doesn't matter what people on the internet think of you, but what you think of yourself does, so, yeah, try not to hate. it tends to be messy and get all over your hands and face and then you rub your eye and it burns like hell.

Let's all just take a moment and talk about how great this comment is. It reminds me of a time when I was in church as a.. I think I was around 7 at the time. I was in church as a 7 year old boy. I started falling asleep, and I remember feeling so bad for falling asleep because I had promised my mom I would stay awake for the whole thing, but I was exhausted because I had stayed up really late the night before watching cartoons with my older brother. Of course, my older brother who was 10 at the time was able to stay awake. I remember looking at him and thinking to myself, "Wait a second, paullikeschemicalssomuchheswalterwhite".

• Like 14

I haven't listened yet, I just found the link. I just wanted to instantly express my excitement that J.W. Stillwater is back. Here's a picture I made several months ago, but I didn't share because I didn't have an Earwolf account and I feared nobody on Facebook would understand it:

http://i.imgur.com/CgPGMMK.jpg

• Like 11

No. It's not racist at all. Who the hell said I was uncomfortable with anything? If I said I was tired of every other joke from some white comedian being about being white you wouldn't say I was being racist. It's not about her being a lesbian it's about the sheer volume and dependency of her jokes being about lesbian material. Goddamn why is that so hard to understand? My gripe is about the volume and dependency of a comedians material being about a main specific topic. The topic in this case happens to be being gay. If every other joke she said was about cats I would have said "Here we go. Take a shot everytime Cameron mentions cats and how she's a cat lady". Because I said lesbian you guys jump right into calling me homophobic and that's straight bullshit. None of you would be giving me this much shit if I complained about how much Jim Gaffigan talks about food.

Look friend I can understand the viewpoint you're coming from but I feel like you are disregarding a crucial point of what other people are saying about the topic in general. It doesn't seem like the 'discussion' is going to go anywhere except into further negativity so perhaps the best course is to just walk away from this. But of course this is the internet, I guess I should just expect you to have another response to this post about how no one understands you

• Like 2

Look friend I can understand the viewpoint you're coming from but I feel like you are disregarding a crucial point of what other people are saying about the topic in general. It doesn't seem like the 'discussion' is going to go anywhere except into further negativity so perhaps the best course is to just walk away from this. But of course this is the internet, I guess I should just expect you to have another response to this post about how no one understands you

The internet is real life, I hate when people treat it as anything else. This person expressed his REAL point of view.

That being said, his criticism toward Cam'ron is perfectly legitimate. Using a stereotype as a crutch is something that needs to be addressed for all comedians. My favorite comedians are not guilty of using such a crutch, but adversely some of my favorite comedians, and some of their best bits, rely heavily on this crutch. This is why I don't know exactly where I stand on the argument in terms of how it's used in comedy, but I will definitely agree that it's a crutch and relying so heavily on it is a problem in terms of comedic integrity.

I cannot remember what was actually said, but when Scott asked J.W. to weigh in on something that was either one way or the other, J.W. stated he had already weighed in on this dispute once on another podcast, and he wasn't going to weigh in again.

For those interested, the podcast J.W. was referring to was James Bonding with Matts Gourley & Mira. Paul F. was on and weighed in on the subject because the Matts were not seeing eye to eye.

I WISH I COULD REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS!!

EDIT!! I re-listened, and it was the pronunciation of 'ma'am,' and how the British pronounce it 'mom.' The case J.W. did not care to re-litigate was whether or not Bond calls M 'Ma'am' or 'Mom.'

(Also, there is another parallel between the two podcasts, in that there is a James Bond film wherein a pigeon does a double-take)

• Like 7

Is this comment part of the spillover caused by the Sklar Bros having Dane Cook on last week? Keep this homophobic crap off this site, please. EDIT: And what the hell does "dresses gay" even mean???

If you have to ask, you can't afford it honey.

• Like 4