🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 314 — Y’all Heard Any of These Names Before?

Great points by all of you and I agree because that's not entirely what I was complaining about. I'm being a sour puss because I've seen/heard Put your hands together a bunch and I've heard her in other stuff and I'm personally tired of her lesbian material. It's not that she shouldn't/can't do lesbian material or any of that kind of thing, it's that to me all the constant lesbian lesbian lesbian lesbian lesbian stuff is like a fat comic that only does fat jokes. All this probably sounds terrible too.

Okay look, I like Cameron the person. I'm trying to say "do you have anything else to talk about besides being lesbian because that's all I've ever heard from you" but I don't want it to come off as any attack or complaint on the topic of sexuality. I'm saying it as I would say "Doesn't Carlos Mencia have any other material besides mexican jokes?". Aziz is Indian and he has jokes about it but the bulk of his material for the last how ever many fucking years it's been hasn't been Indian Idian Indian Indian.

Ps- You assholes know what I meant about James Adomian being on the show. It was a bad example but I meant his characters. Cameron isn't a character person.

• Like 3

What I really want to know is, did Professor Stealwater buy his pyramid through Ice-T's Pyramid Scheme?

• Like 5

What I really want to know is, did Professor Stealwater buy his pyramid through Ice-T's Pyramid Scheme?

Think he got it from the add for backyard pyramids on the newest superego!

Is this comment part of the spillover caused by the Sklar Bros having Dane Cook on last week? Keep this homophobic crap off this site, please. EDIT: And what the hell does "dresses gay" even mean???

This is what I'm talking about. I can't complain about her lesbian material because I'm auotmatically homophobic. If I got tired of a black comedian who only ever talked about being black I'd be racist too huh?

• Like 2

Great points by all of you and I agree because that's not entirely what I was complaining about. I'm being a sour puss because I've seen/heard Put your hands together a bunch and I've heard her in other stuff and I'm personally tired of her lesbian material. It's not that she shouldn't/can't do lesbian material or any of that kind of thing, it's that to me all the constant lesbian lesbian lesbian lesbian lesbian stuff is like a fat comic that only does fat jokes. All this probably sounds terrible too.

Okay look, I like Cameron the person. I'm trying to say "do you have anything else to talk about besides being lesbian because that's all I've ever heard from you" but I don't want it to come off as any attack or complaint on the topic of sexuality. I'm saying it as I would say "Doesn't Carlos Mencia have any other material besides mexican jokes?". Aziz is Indian and he has jokes about it but the bulk of his material for the last how ever many fucking years it's been hasn't been Indian Idian Indian Indian.

Ps- You assholes know what I meant about James Adomian being on the show. It was a bad example but I meant his characters. Cameron isn't a character person.

I'm still like halfway in so maybe she keeps it on her sexuality, but early on I felt like Scott was prodding her with her sexuality being the only topic, as a joke the way Scott jokes... so if you are taking the early subject use in this, you should be blaming scott for focusing on that, not her.

• Like 1

This is what I'm talking about. I can't complain about her lesbian material because I'm auotmatically homophobic. If I got tired of a black comedian who only ever talked about being black I'd be racist too huh?

In a way, it would make you racist. Not a white-hooded, cross-burning racist, but someone who is slightly uncomfortable with minorities who want to talk about being minorities. A comedian's material is a result of their experiences. For some, being black or being lesbian was/is a prominent part of their development. You can choose not to listen to it or may not be able to relate to the humor, sure. But at the point you are expressing this opinion on a message board with the expectation that all will probably jump on this opinion with you...yeah, that's a little homophobic.

• Like 10

Uh, yeah, you kind of would be. Seriously, some people need to learn to put down the shovel.

Look, first off, as has been mentioned above, Esposito's "constant reference" to her sexuality isn't that far out of line with the invisible constant reference to the heterosexual norm in society as a whole. And second, even if she does talk about it more than that (not a point I'm conceding), so fucking what? A lot of comics have topics they spend a lot of their time on, and when a person's personal life subjects you to scorn and threat of physical violence in the culture at large (and while things are getting better on that front, do not fool yourself into thinking we're in some magic post-homophobia world) it's not that surprising that that person might fixate on the subject, if nothing else because of the power in being visible and vocal in the face of a society that would rather you just shut up about it.

And in the end, if it upsets you that much, I'm sure you know what that square button on your player does.

• Like 7

i dont think the point lowtideceviche is making is homophobic, like if todd glass was on and he posted "oh great todd glass drink every time he mentions curtains at a comedy club" no one would pop up and say 'whoa this ass*ole hates curtains' ( i know curtains and homosexuality do not contain the same cultural import but LTC was only talking about the subject as a subject and not culturally or morally)

however altho podcasts on the level are very good not every episode will be for you necessarily so just shake your head disdainfully as you hit the delete button and wait for next week

edited to add: this last part is a joke, i thought the episode was good

• Like 1

this guy also hates how much walter white talks about chemicals... i mean, that guys is like walter white over there.

also, jim gaffigan and his god damned hot pockets.

and wait a minute, adomian's characters are constantly sucking dicks and eating assholes. that's some pretty gay shit all up in your grill -- personally i love it.

just please deal with the fact that comedians have jokes.

and since the best ones write about their own lives and experiences, they tend to follow a theme. it's just comedy.

i dunno, it doesn't matter what people on the internet think of you, but what you think of yourself does, so, yeah, try not to hate. it tends to be messy and get all over your hands and face and then you rub your eye and it burns like hell.

• Like 16

i dont think the point lowtideceviche is making is homophobic, like if todd glass was on and he posted "oh great todd glass drink every time he mentions curtains at a comedy club" no one would pop up and say 'whoa this ass*ole hates curtains' ( i know curtains and homosexuality do not contain the same cultural import but LTC was only talking about the subject as a subject and not culturally or morally)

however altho podcasts on the level are very good not every episode will be for you necessarily so just shake your head disdainfully as you hit the delete button and wait for next week

But that's the thing, I doubt someone would say that in your (somewhat ridiculous) curtain hypothetical, they would just tune out because it wasn't entertaining. For that matter, a comedian whose material was all curtains would not get very far, as there's not a lot to work with there. When Esposito does comedy about "her lesbianism," as code for the enormous topic of her entire romantic life and much of her social and political life, she is able to keep it fresh and continue to be very funny (both in my estimation and apparently in a few others', as evidenced by her success) because that's a LOT of territory. (As Scott pointed out above, I could name a lot of straight comics whose material is all about their dating life, their married life, or their kids, which is pretty much identical territory to what falls under the so-called "lesbian material" umbrella.)

And sorry to say, but "I'm okay with gay comedians as long as their material is not too gay" is in and of itself incendiary, both on its face and in the implications it carries along with it.

• Like 4

The kind of food that nature box sells sounds like it was named by Merrill Schindler. "Honeycomb sunflower kernals".....

• Like 9

Scott: "Ut oh, did he have a physics related accident?"

JW: "Yeah, he fell down the stairs."

Brilliance.

• Like 8

But that's the thing, I doubt someone would say that in your (somewhat ridiculous) curtain hypothetical, they would just tune out because it wasn't entertaining. For that matter, a comedian whose material was all curtains would not get very far, as there's not a lot to work with there. When Esposito does comedy about "her lesbianism," as code for the enormous topic of her entire romantic life and much of her social and political life, she is able to keep it fresh and continue to be very funny (both in my estimation and apparently in a few others', as evidenced by her success) because that's a LOT of territory. (As Scott pointed out above, I could name a lot of straight comics whose material is all about their dating life, their married life, or their kids, which is pretty much identical territory to what falls under the so-called "lesbian material" umbrella.)

And sorry to say, but "I'm okay with gay comedians as long as their material is not too gay" is in and of itself incendiary, both on its face and in the implications it carries along with it.

i agree with like 99.9% of what your saying so it isnt really worth arguing about, thanks for the response

• Like 1

There is a thing that exists which is not my cup of tea. So, I decree: no tea. No tea for anyone.

• Like 4

The kind of food that nature box sells sounds like it was named by Merrill Schindler. "Honeycomb sunflower kernals".....

YES! They always sound fake to me, one time I heard a NB product name on in an ad on one podcast and assumed it was the host riffing a joke until I later heard the same on another podcast (to be fair, the first podcast was one with a history of

, link NSFW)...

One question.

How does PFT expect to impress any more members of psychedelic rock bands if he DOESN'T WEAR SOCKS!

sweet mother of cross-pod callback.

• Like 3

Think about any time a straight comedian talks about having sex, going out on a date, being in love, breaking up with someone, or even mentions their husband or wife. That's part of their identity. Should gay people not be allowed to talk about any of this, just because it's different from the "norm?"

Ps- James talks a lot about being gay in his act. And why shouldn't he?

It's a slippery slope

As someone who thought Cameron was a great guest and a fine comedian, I think it might be a little extreme to label someone who states that they are bored of her subject matter as "homophobic". Somebody saying "I don't care for her topic of comedic discussion because it feels repetitive to me" does not necessarily equal "I hate (insert homophobic slur)". Maybe the comment I'm referring to was a bit more insensitively worded than that, but it seems unfair, and almost implies condescension, to insist that someone's material is off limits to criticism. I guess I do see an inequality though since I don't see similar complaints about Scott and his recurring jokes that are sometimes word for word repetitions yet are still welcome additions to any episode..........

Or maybe I should have just said "That's a spicy meatball"?

• Like 4

Think about any time a straight comedian talks about having sex, going out on a date, being in love, breaking up with someone, or even mentions their husband or wife. That's part of their identity. Should gay people not be allowed to talk about any of this, just because it's different from the "norm?"

Ps- James talks a lot about being gay in his act. And why shouldn't he?

geez, exactly. plus there are only a handful of lesbian comedians. do you know how much "straight" material everyone has to listen to compared to the "gay" stuff. most people aren't usually exposed to a gay lady's point of view anyhow, and it's super refreshing. somehow you're already so very tired of it. i think the issue here is why you have such a problem with the material.

also, cameron, keep on keeping it gay as hell. this world needs more of the gay. gay gay gay!

• Like 8

Buttery, honeycomby, sunflowery, kernely, beef cutlets.

• Like 8

Buttery, honeycomby, sunflowery, kernely, beef cutlets.

I am pretty sure that you mean "fucklets".

• Like 4