🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 95.5 — Minisode 95.5

Maybe it was the Daily's frozen hurricanes I was enjoying, but for about 3/4 of the movie I kept saying to myself, "this really isn't THAT bad." It didn't feel as outright HDTGM-y as most of the other films in the canon.

Jimmy James from Newsradio playing the classic "evil faculty head at a research university" archetype! Ira from Mad About You as the addict/researcher/scoundrel-but-in-a-loveable-way best friend! Granted, that particularly D storyline was not resolved at all.

• Like 1

Random observation: So a Casablanca movie poster on Allan's wall appears on screen about two dozen times during this movie. How many other Casablanca references have their been in past HDTGM movies? Obviously there were quite a few in The Glimmer Man, but have other creators of shitty movies tried to make their movie better by including some allusion to this classic film?

Above Allan's kitchen table was the word "DINNER" in enormous letters. Was this poster a reference to a classic film that I missed, or was that just to remind the audience where food consumption took place in Allan's home?

I think that Leonard Susskind must have seen this movie because whenever someone proposes a helper monkey for Stephen Hawking, Susskind says it's a filthy idea and then gets really quiet. One time, I joked that maybe the helper monkey would poop in a black hole, but then Susskind ranted about how the poop would still be there even when the black hole evaporates.

I can only assume that there are, or will be, some AMAZING GIFs of the climax of this movie.

This was a weird mix of typical HDTGM laughable bad, regular boring bad, and actually kinda OK.

Paul thinks Brandy and Ray-Jay made a sex tape.

I'd forgotten about that, but I was going to say something too! I know I was thinking "Wait, did he say that she said 'I did it better'?".

I still want to know what experiment the rat left in an aquarium full of water was supposed to be accomplishing beyond pointing out that Stephen Root was evil. He says drowning is a great motivator, but there was nothing for the rat to do, but swim until it drowned.

As to Casablanca references, I'm curious if other George Romero movies make a lot of them. I can't recall any off the top of my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a lot.

Pleased to see some love for Derren Brown from Paul in the recommendations. He's a stage magician/hypnotist/psychological illusionist who's had a number of sell-out tours in the UK and a string of TV series and specials. He played Russian Roulette on live television, held a seance to show how mediums fake it and simulated a zombie apocalypse for one poor bastard. In one special, he even brainwashed a guy into assassinating Stephen Fry (with a fake gun and a squib-vest-wearing Fry).

He's a piece he did for last night's Stand Up to Cancer telethon with Amanda Abbington and Martin Freeman.

If the five-star reviews from Netflix of Monkey Shines are any indication...

"the only problem i had was being limited to just 5 stars, this movie really satified my sense of justice and obsession for putting things on an even keel, its my new favorite movie, i loved it "

monkey-shines.jpg

And the ladies will, too!

• Like 4

Can we talk about how Paul pronounces Sbarro? Sparrow? Is that how you say it? I've been say it wrong for years.

• Like 1

So I'm watching "Monkey Shines" for the first time in forever, and this monkey is an incredible actor. I'd never realized until now that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was such a shameless rip-off. Andy Serkis wishes he could be HALF the monkey that Ella is.

• Like 1

So I'm watching "Monkey Shines" for the first time in forever, and this monkey is an incredible actor. I'd never realized until now that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was such a shameless rip-off. Andy Serkis wishes he could be HALF the monkey that Ella is.

And in "Twilight", Ella would have been a better Bella.

The main character of "Monkey Shines" is named A. Mann. What do you think that means? I'm just spitballing here, but maybe A. Mann = a man. This puts him in stark contrast to "the monkey".

• Like 2

I hope we get some real debate concerning:

-Best use of "animal vision": Anaconda's snake vision or Monkey Shine's telepathic monkey vision

-Best use or weird sing-songy voice to make a character seem bizarre: the mom/aunt in Sleepaway Camp or the mom in Monkey Shines (jk, Sleepaway Camp is ALWAYS the answer)

Also, I'm sure Jason will have something to say about Alan eating that girl out while in a barn full of monkeys.

Also, I'm sure Jason will have something to say about Alan eating that girl out while in a barn full of monkeys.

Specifically, that he jerked it to it.

The first 30 minutes have been totally boring. 90 more minutes, I might not make it...

Yeah, it's kind of weird that this horror movie has nothing even remotely scary (other than maybe his accident) in the first ~45 minutes.

Hey, I don't want to complain about a sponsor, but that little bastard MailChimp pulled some of the same shit on me. One day he's sending out newsletters for my business, and the next day he's killing my enemies and threatening my girlfriend. Otherwise the service is awesome!

• Like 3

I'm gonna go out and say it: out of all the shitty movies I've watched because of this podcast this is the one I have enjoyed the most.

It was entertaining, even if it wasn't scary. It embraced its ridiculousness and the monkey is the best damn actor of the entire thing. My roommate and I got a kick out of it were into the story from start to finish. It was ridiculous enough for me to love it.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's kind of weird that this horror movie has nothing even remotely scary (other than maybe his accident) in the first ~45 minutes.

It definitely got crazy in the last 40 minutes, but boy the first hour could have used some serious editing.

I think this was the least entertaining of the Halloween films done for HDTGM.

Even so, it's much better than "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" (1981), which had no monkeys in the entire movie.