Episode 18 — Songs of Innocence Physical Release Special

92 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

It’s been a month and a lot of things have happened in the world of U2 but luckily Adam Scott Aukerman are back to dig into the physical release of U2′s thirteenth studio album Songs of Innocence. They’ll talk about U2: The Definitive Biography, the online backlash of the free digital release of the record & Bono’s recent apology, and the bonus tracks on the physical release of the album. Plus, they catch up on the recent live shows they’ve seen which include Tom Petty & Neutral Milk Hotel and wonder if U2 will ever have a Top 40 hit as they go through listener mail!
listen to my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Bright Anderson

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSandy, OR

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:13 AM

I'm so ridiculously happy this is out and I can't even begin to explain it to anyone I know. Feels like Christmas morning when these eps drop.

#3 Rosebuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

I've only gotten through the first 25-30 minutes, but this might already be my favorite episode of UTU2TM

#4 Johnny Scarebags

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

Five minutes in and already there's some major Engineer Cody Cody bashing going on. Amazing.

#5 DoctorGeniusPHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

I dunno how this Thursday early morning can get any better. I am about to cry about this.

#6 theforeverlostsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

I literally (and I'm using the word properly) jumped out of bed to put my putes on and download this on iTunes when I saw it on Soundcloud this morning.

The funny thing about Scott and Scott talking about the reaction to the albums release and the reviews of it is that they really are one of the few people who reviewed the album for its music, and not the method of release or a dislike of U2 anyway. They gave the album a fair review and so many 'real' reviewers didn't and didn't want to either.

The logical next step for the podcast is for Scott and Scott to write their own definitive U2 biography, right?

#7 Dhezballah

test

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Holy jesus fucking christ, this was so unexpected and turned my day around.

I was laughing so hard while they let the Kellog's ad play out.

#8 kopello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Jesus. With the Earwolf podcast dump today (plus yesterday's JJH and DLM) I think I have my weekend planned out (not that I'm complaining).

#9 Bever Hopox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

I'm just sitting at work smiling like a goofball.
Ya gotta laugh!

@spencerhawesome

#10 takehomejoke

It's been (a while)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationHollyweird?

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

One of the pleasantest of surprises!!!!

I hope they get to the band member names this ep. The members of the rock band U2, that is

#11 dreamingofhalls

cap n' crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

Usually on thursdays i'm worrying about weekend stuff but right now i'm more concerned with these Goddamn T SHIRTS.. this podcast never fails.. thank you for making it!

#12 StanSitwell

Alpaca

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:46 AM

haha I enjoyed Scott A's slight mention of Karmin. I couldn't honestly tell if he does truly like them or if he was just being nice as like a "I like (some of their music kind of)", but that damn woman annoyed the hell out of me! If they dont have more pop hits (cross our fingers), this will be an amazingly funny reference in about a decade like a reference to say Snow, Ace of Bass, or Cece Peniston

Thanks for shutting that listening sesh down quick, A Scott

#13 tusadrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

Oh wow! I can only hope for some eps like 'Let's be Frank', or Scott willing 'RU Popping my Stones'

#14 Gym Sockerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Engineer Cody Cody is too busy Astral Projecting to unlock the studio.

#15 ieatpants

prince of recitatives

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Locationthe emerald aisle

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

oh my god, the embedded artwork in the mp3...

View PostA New Duck, on 26 September 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

thank you user A New Duck
pure brilliance

#16 Drakkar Jaune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

My Karmin story: I went to a wedding years ago where the band was fronted by the singer of Karmin. She was pretty great. But they were doing covers of course. They even brought me on stage to sing an Earth Wind & Fire song they were doing. After the wedding the singer told me that she had gotten a ton of views on Youtube for her other band.

Had a similar reaction to Adam's when I actually heard the music, but hey, you go girl.
Don't even touch barno, that rhino-chaser don't need no big haole handprint messin' up its whole trip

#17 LessfunnySuits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

I feel that more podcast audio engineers should be fleeced on air.

#18 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

View Posttusadrum, on 16 October 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

Oh wow! I can only hope for some eps like 'Let's be Frank', or Scott willing 'RU Popping my Stones'

Wait, were there NO sub-podcasts in this episode? Maybe they didn't feel like Cody was capable of hitting the drops.

That aside, another great one. This has become the one podcast where (rather than waiting until my ride home) I'll fire it up at work and basically just sit and listen and mostly ignore work for however long it takes. Totally worth it.

#19 Kelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Scott: What if on the back of the book it just had a blurb that was "'Peep' - A Chicken."
Scott: That'd be great, Scott. I mean, I don't know what you want me to say.

Never stop this podcast, bros. NEVER.

ETA: Oh hell yes. We finally get a "My Wife" at 1:01:02!

View Postieatpants, on 16 October 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

oh my god, the embedded artwork in the mp3...

thank you user A New Duck
pure brilliance

That too made me extremely happy. I'm only at 56 minutes in, but I hope they have a lengthy discussion about original artwork and the brilliant Scott/Scott covers you guys made.

#20 Bever Hopox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

When Scott and Scott went off on Engineer Cody Cody at the end for yawning I lost it. Let's be Frank, this is a great day for everyone.
Ya gotta laugh!

@spencerhawesome