🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 179 — God

Something in my brain just knows it's fake. I've just been reading about fake laughter and I found this short quiz:

http://www.scpr.org/...-take-this-aud/

I got them all right, but I'm curious to know how the people fare who think his laugh is genuine.

First of all, congrats. But I'm not curious.

• Like 6

i think that pete holmes is just quick to laugh and i figured everyone knew at least one person like this irl. his presence on this episode was pretty identical to his episode of hdtgm which i will say is the best episode of hdtgm ever produced. this is not negotiable and i will fight anyone who disagrees

• Like 3

if there was a spectrum of enjoyable earwolf guest off-mic laughter it might look something like this:

PFT <----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Pete Holmes

we're still in beta.

I have no problem at all with Pete's laugh because it's absolutely genuine. He's aware that it annoys some folks, and I think he's said that he tried to mute it somewhat but it didn't work. My understanding is that now he embraces its abrasiveness.

PFT's laugh is something altogether different. It fills me with utter joy every time I hear it. It's like an angel descending from heaven to kiss a podcast episode on the forehead and saying "this bit is going well; please continue." He tries to be off mic when he does it, but his laugh starts off so explosive (because it surprises him, I think) that he can't hide it. The fact that it's a little muffled and off mic makes it even more delightful. He's like a kid puking in the direction of the bathroom because he felt it coming on just a half second before it happened. The gesture is appreciated but altogether ineffective. Gross analogy. Sorry.

• Like 2

man, i genuinely just do not enjoy listening to pete holmes speak or contribute in any way. this didn't even seem like a PBO episode to me. his ramblings limited the group dynamic and he couldn't NOT jump in at ANY point. buh.

Ok

1)Rude ho'

2)I used to feel that way, AND him trying to force God into reality was really dumb. But I really liked him in this episode, it made me like him, I got a completely different experience...

• Like 1

Ok

1)Rude ho'

2)I used to feel that way, AND him trying to force God into reality was really dumb. But I really liked him in this episode, it made me like him, I got a completely different experience...

to each his (OR HER) own.

compared to other guests, i feel he limits the chemistry between this trio and overall is difficult to listen to...namely in this episode. he's real funny, but still unnecessarily loud, in the "88 minutes" episode of HDTGM. his impersonation of Pacino fumbling a cell phone kills me.

• Like 1

I love Pete Holmes. In my early 20s, I got so philosophical that my upbringing said "Hey, be a preacher" but I know now that THAT was a result of eating a bunch of mushrooms and thinking that I understood everything. And I love Pete Holmes because he understands God in the same way I do. The concept of God, how can we possibly understand that? An all-knowing, all-powerful being that just looks down on us and knows that we're imperfect but just looks down on us. The big Jesus teaching is "be in this world, but not OF this world" and its just impossible. We're in this world. This is all we know, so how can we not be OF this world?

That's the teaching of every religion. To take part in this world but have one foot in this other world, the spiritual world, where the real stuff is being manifest. Be in this world, but not of this world is the same as Buddha telling you to shun your attachments to material life. In Islam that's the jihad (the struggle); In Christianity, that's your cross to bear; all of these religions have metaphors for the mental and physical work you have to do to deny your base instincts, because it only by denying your base instincts that you have a chance to commune with the divine.

his laughter is fake as a known fact, not a presumption. He does it when someone says something that's not even intended to be funny. It bursts out of nowhere and is totally awkward. You can feel the awkwardness in the other person while they wait to speak while his laughter cackles on. No one laughs at every sentence that someone speaks, at least not genuinely.

I had a good laugh seeing Pete Holmes guest-starring as a priest on "Mulaney" tonight.

I hope all is well down in the hatch. I read a lot about Tig in the news this weekend, and she is in my prayers.