🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 516 - Humpty Hump

Robbie Pickering & Andrew talk about if it’s racist to dress as Humpty Hump for Halloween. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

Interesting segue into GamerGate. I respectfully disagree with much of what was said on that topic, most especially the casual way in which it's implied that it's so clearly a one-sided affair. (Although I do understand that, as a podcaster, you've got the prerogative to invoke authoritative bias in order more clearly to establish your voice.)

I won't try to articulate what Christina Hoff Sommers has far better said elsewhere, but I do appreciate Robbie's admission that he's not entirely turned on to "gamer culture" or the sort of people who might identify as such. That simple admission is a microcosm of what might have caused much of the anti-gamer vitriol, namely that nobody really bothered to understand who was beefing, or about what. Far easier to lump in all gamers with the foul-mouthed 12 year-olds screaming obscenities into their Xbox headsets while playing Call of Duty, or to assume that this is all some pent-up frustration from a lifetime of getting wedgies in high school.

Anyway. This wasn't a #gg podcast and it's not my forum anyway so I won't go on about it.

I won't try to articulate what Christina Hoff Sommers has far better said elsewhere

It is sad to see a woman rationalize this disgusting behavior while still calling herself a feminist, but unfortunately not surprising.

You know, if this whole "gamergate" thing really were about nepotism and whatnot in the gaming industry, it makes zero sense that people would focus their rage on Zoe Quinn. Even if all the accusations are true, all this makes her is a pawn in the system who has literally been screwed over by the industry. All she ever got out of the deal was some publicity for a game that is free. The real anger should be at the MEN in the industry who use their power to get free sex from female developers. Gamers should be angrily threatening them, and decrying them. It makes even less sense that so much of the dialogue includes people calling Zoe Quinn ugly and/or a slut.

It makes zero sense, that is, if you assume that the reason for this anger is cronyism or corruption in the game industry. It makes perfect sense if you acknoledge what the REAL reason is.

But oh, I'm sorry, maybe there really are two sides to this? Maybe there are reasons, which I'm not seeing, that Zoe Quinn deserves to be the main focus of people's anger.

• Like 4

But oh, I'm sorry, maybe there really are two sides to this? Maybe there are reasons, which I'm not seeing, that Zoe Quinn deserves to be the main focus of people's anger.

I'm not mad at Zoe Quinn, just a little disappointed that she got so much attention for making such a crummy game.

Sign in to follow this