🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kickpuncher

"The Sylvester Stallone Podcast"

Is this going to have the real Stallone in it or that comedy bang bang discount dinner theater version we all know and love.?

It looks like HDTGM and UTU2TM will now be a part of Wolfpop, rather than Earwolf proper.

• Like 1

"Earwolf is very comedy-forward, so basically it's coming from a comedic premise for the most part, so for Wolfpop we wanted to open it up a little. Obviously there will be funny shows, but we also wanted to make it shows that are just really fun, because so many of the podcasts I listen to — like Serial or Freakonomics and stuff like that — those are some of my favorite podcasts, but they're not necessarily comedy-centric. So I just kind of went down the list of people I liked and thought I'd do some big asks of people and see if they would be interested. And we have some more interesting people coming up as we continue on — these 13 are just the launch lineup."

Like many of you, I am surprised by this turn of events. I woke up this morning just expecting to listen to the new Stallone podcast, not a whole new network. I am sure all of our questions will be answered in the coming days.

However, assuming he reads these posts, I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to Paul Scheer on his new position! I know he wouldn't be in this given this job if it not for his talent and hard work, so good on you, Paul! I already see a couple new shows I will be subscribing too and look forward to more from Wolfpop.

with a name like wolfpop it has to be some sort of spin off of Earwolf site, Not sure why but, I don't think paul would use the name Wolf if it wasn't. BTW the domain name is listed as being owned by a canadian..

It's a sister-network for Earwolf for pop culture shows, curated by Paul Scheer and Matt Gourley.

• Like 1

I was really excited till I tried using the boards - They suck!

Same feelings about the site. The message boards need a little bit of work. I don't know why they don't just use earwolfs boards and merge the two sites together.

• Like 1

a lot of these look super interesting but I might have to pick and choose which episodes of the podcasts I listen to. I already don't have enough time to listen to the small group of pods I try to listen to regularly (CBB, HDTGM, Call Chelsea Peretti, Whooch). Has anybody listened to these and have any thoughts? There is some great talent behind these.

Has anybody listened to these and have any thoughts?

I devoted my entire Tuesday to checking out all the new shows and I would say my three favorites (aside from I Was There Too, of course) were Reading Aloud, OMFG and The Canon.

Picking Favorites was surprisingly enjoyable considering I wasn't familiar with any of the hosts. Maltin on Movies, despite being a little stilted seeing as Leonard and Baron admittedly don't know each other very well, was a fun listen. Crybabies is a great concept for a show, but sadly the first episode suffered from similar issues due to Christopher Guest being extremely obtuse for no apparent reason (I've never seen or heard his interviews before... maybe being needlessly awkward is his thing, but it was still a little jarring at times). I found the Denzel show pretty funny since I love W. Kamau Bell, but I'm really not a massive Denzel fan so some of it went over my head. in my opinion, they're all worth checking out if you have an ungodly amount of time to spend listening to podcasts like I do.

oh and episode 2 and 3 of Sly are up... they aren't showing on the main site as far as I can tell, but they're there if you check the show page or soundcloud.

• Like 3

I devoted my entire Tuesday to checking out all the new shows and I would say my three favorites (aside from I Was There Too, of course) were Reading Aloud, OMFG and The Canon.

Picking Favorites was surprisingly enjoyable considering I wasn't familiar with any of the hosts. Maltin on Movies, despite being a little stilted seeing as Leonard and Baron admittedly don't know each other very well, was a fun listen. Crybabies is a great concept for a show, but sadly the first episode suffered from similar issues due to Christopher Guest being extremely obtuse for no apparent reason (I've never seen or heard his interviews before... maybe being needlessly awkward is his thing, but it was still a little jarring at times). I found the Denzel show pretty funny since I love W. Kamau Bell, but I'm really not a massive Denzel fan so some of it went over my head. in my opinion, they're all worth checking out if you have an ungodly amount of time to spend listening to podcasts like I do.

oh and episode 2 and 3 of Sly are up... they aren't showing on the main site as far as I can tell, but they're there if you check the show page or soundcloud.

I loved the Denzel show! They host really broke things down in both hilarious and relatable ways. In a lot of ways this is the UTU2TM of movies in they talk of Denzel but between that they talked about having to pick up kids before movie ends, craigslist dating, and Jaden Smith's Batman suit. Reading Outloud is the real standout of the group to me. Just fucking phenomenal. Checking out OMFG and the Cannon tomorrow. I'm stoked. Also Nerd Machine's was pretty fun, I enjoyed the just hanging out element of it, I expect this to get better but as is it's pretty good. Needs to find its groove. Happy Sad Confused had less a pop culture feel and more of an interview show with an elevated guest roster. All in all, these were great.

IWasThereToo is great and I love the premise. If future guests have similar interesting stories about famous actors and directors then it will succeed.

The Cannon was good. Both hosts seem to know their stuff.

I tried to listen to OMFG but listening to a 22 year old talk about hooking up and constantly saying "Um, Yeah" was just unbearable for me. I cant believe that dude is a standup cause he can't even have a simple conversation.

• Like 1

I tried to listen to OMFG but listening to a 22 year old talk about hooking up and constantly saying "Um, Yeah" was just unbearable for me. I cant believe that dude is a standup cause he can't even have a simple conversation.

true... I was trying to figure out if it was a bit or not and I guess that's why I still enjoyed it. the Morgan Walsh section was much better, but for some reason I found myself laughing throughout the entire show. Deanna Raphael is hilarious, but I couldn't help but hear a little bit of June every time she was on mic... since their voices sound similar and they are both masters in the art of polite sarcasm.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to suspect this "Sylvester Stallone Podcast" is some sort of monkeyshine.

• Like 4

Is this going to have the real Stallone in it or that comedy bang bang discount dinner theater version we all know and love.?

I already called it, I declared shenanigans!

Sign in to follow this