Sign in to follow this  
Bernard_Shakey

Earwolf sister network Wolfpop is here!

I just listened to I Was There Too and it's already one of my favorite new shows! god damn I already have so much to listen to already,

• Like 6

Dan pretty much nailed it. The forums will fall in line there, but it will take a bit as it's not the same system and our tech guy has to do a lot of fancy customization of stagebloc to get it to behave like a dedicated IP.Board type thing (I have no idea what I'm talking about). But it will come along. The cool thing is that the comments section on each episode's page is the same thing as the forum subject for that show, which I haven't seen in many sites.

There might be some bugs on the site on the first day, but all in all I think it's a much improved platform.

Hope you guys all enjoy the shows, we have worked harder than you can imagine for this launch.

How much more in charge of stuff are you now, cause this is some boss shit

I just listened to I Was There Too and it's already one of my favorite new shows! god damn I already have so much to listen to already,

I liked it too. I'm curious about how good it will be with guests who aren't the undisputed best podcast guest in the universe (or who aren't talking about one of my favorite movies), but I trust that Gourley will deliver.

• Like 5

I liked it too. I'm curious about how good it will be with guests who aren't the undisputed best podcast guest in the universe (or who aren't talking about one of my favorite movies), but I trust that Gourley will deliver.

well according to this interview with Paul Scheer about Wolfpop on Splitsider http://splitsider.com/2014/11/paul-scheers-new-podcast-network-wolfpop-launches-today/ two future guests will be Greg Proops takling about Phantom Menace and Doug Benson talking about Captain Eo, so I'm feeling confident

• Like 4

HOW DARE YOU promote Wolf Den! and HERE!

I know! I shouldn't have done it and I immediately regretted the decision as soon as I hit post.Sean and Hayes are going to be mad at me. I'm sure I'll get 20 lashings or more.

• Like 4

Hey, but I can't help but imagine an amazing super-episode for the Informant with PFT, Andy Daly, Tony Hale, Joel McHale, Patton Oswalt, etc.

• Like 1

I know! I shouldn't have done it and I immediately regretted the decision as soon as I hit post.Sean and Hayes are going to be mad at me. I'm sure I'll get 20 lashings or more.

Wait a second, what's wrong with The Wolf Den?

• Like 20

Wait a second, what's wrong with The Wolf Den?

After you stepped down as CEO, hamburger sandwiches were removed from the menu in the Earwolf commissary because (according to Adam) almost no one ordered them. As an act of rebellion, Hollywood Handbook host Shannon Hayes has been quietly directing his army of "Popcorn Heads" to badmouth The Wolf Den at every available opportunity.

• Like 8

Splitting the audience between two sites and two forums is dumb. What even defines what show goes on what network? Yes, HDTGM is about movies, but we listen for the comedy, not the pop culture part, etc.

This seems like a scheme to double count earwolf listeners.

• Like 2

I'm actually a bit concerned about aggression from Wolfpop loyalists. It's like the American Civil War all over again. Give this whole thing a few months, and Wolfpop-ers will be swinging chains and clubs at Earwolf-ers outside of shows at Largo or UCB Theater. It's as if God has split my most favorite thing into two and then smashed them together repeatedly as if they were Tonka trucks until they destroy eachother.

My words: mark them.

• Like 2

Splitting the audience between two sites and two forums is dumb. What even defines what show goes on what network? Yes, HDTGM is about movies, but we listen for the comedy, not the pop culture part, etc.

Is this gonna be a "New Coke" or "Netflix/Quikster" thing?

I can't imagine that this will split the Earwolf listeners. At best, it's just a few new shows that will be good and the others will fade out. As far as the forums go, this one is really good and very active. The forum platform they are using at Wolfpop is terrible and unless they really overhaul it I don't see people using it at all.

In general, I like the idea. As a business, it's a good way to cater to a more specific crowd, generate more add revenue, get full use of your studios, and create new web-space for, you guessed it, more sponsors. All of that is fine. It really depends on how well some of these shows do. A couple of them seem to basically be the same podcast just with different hosts right? I also have my doubts about how long a couple of these will last because how long can you really talk about Denzel? I mean how would you do two hundred episodes about that?

• Like 4

I can't imagine that this will split the Earwolf listeners. At best, it's just a few new shows that will be good and the others will fade out. As far as the forums go, this one is really good and very active. The forum platform they are using at Wolfpop is terrible and unless they really overhaul it I don't see people using it at all.

In general, I like the idea. As a business, it's a good way to cater to a more specific crowd, generate more add revenue, get full use of your studios, and create new web-space for, you guessed it, more sponsors. All of that is fine. It really depends on how well some of these shows do. A couple of them seem to basically be the same podcast just with different hosts right? I also have my doubts about how long a couple of these will last because how long can you really talk about Denzel? I mean how would you do two hundred episodes about that?

Andrew Ti is close to 600.

• Like 1

Andrew Ti is close to 600.

Touche. I guess the difference to me is that I actually like Kamau and Kevin. They seem excited about what they're doing, they have a large base of knowledge to go from, and they are personable. Whereas I feel like Andrew doesn't give a shit at all and that makes me super uninterested in listening to him. So while both their premises seem limiting, K & K don't have ignorant dumb dumbs calling every day and leaving hateful voice mails to provide fodder.

You would think that YITR would have moved to Wolfpop since it is closer to pop culture than comedy. Or maybe I just don't get YITR.

I also have my doubts about how long a couple of these will last because how long can you really talk about Denzel?

they said the same thing about U2, but look where we are now.

...and by "they" I mean no one ever, but I think you get what I'm saying. it's not my absolute favorite of the Wolfpop lot, but all of these shows have potential to be truly great and this one is no exception. I am curious if they're gonna bring in guests or not... they haven't mentioned anything about it to my knowledge, but I would be content with just hearing W. Kamau and Kevin every episode.

"from Book to Briefs... getting them on, that is..."

Touche. I guess the difference to me is that I actually like Kamau and Kevin. They seem excited about what they're doing, they have a large base of knowledge to go from, and they are personable. Whereas I feel like Andrew doesn't give a shit at all and that makes me super uninterested in listening to him. So while both their premises seem limiting, K & K don't have ignorant dumb dumbs calling every day and leaving hateful voice mails to provide fodder.

You would think that YITR would have moved to Wolfpop since it is closer to pop culture than comedy. Or maybe I just don't get YITR.

This is exactly the problem. They're trying so hard to make a split, making users have two diff logins for two diff forums, etc. Yet the logic behind the split is vague at best.

Why didn't Pollak, YITR, In Conversation, etc move to wolfpop?

Who charted is arguably all about pop, why didn't it move?

Too confusing.

Most of the wolfpop shows will be limited run. They've already said this. In 6 months it will probably be down to 2-3 shows unless they slowly move earwolf stuff over.

But, again, why?

This is exactly the problem. They're trying so hard to make a split, making users have two diff logins for two diff forums, etc. Yet the logic behind the split is vague at best.

Let's Be Frank: There are (at best) 100 regular participants in the Earwolf forums, whereas Comedy Bang Bang and How Did This Get Made? get at least 150,000+ listeners per week every week. If there are compelling logistical and/or financial reasons behind the split, I would not expect Midroll to cater their business strategy to a miniscule number of superfans (myself included.)

As far as I can infer, there are three reasons for the split. (Disclaimer: I am not a Midroll employee.)

1. Scott is too busy recording his own podcast(s), making 40 new episodes of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show, working on other TV development deals, and trying to have kids to oversee a slate of 13 new shows. Launching Wolfpop as a separate network means that literally all of the responsibilities that would fall on Scott's plate are instead handled by Paul. No part of the pre-existing Earwolf empire needed to change in order for Wolfpop to exist.

2. Earwolf's current infrastructure was built many years ago on a shoestring budget, and is fragile and difficult to maintain as a result. Have you ever noticed shows missing from iTunes or broken on Earwolf.com shortly after they drop? This is because July and Agata are posting them by hand, five days a week, after midnight PST, and they are only wolves human. This degree of manual labor is unsustainable in the long run, especially as the number of shows increases year over year. Wolfpop launched on a new content management platform that appears to be 100% divorced from Earwolf's existing infrastructure, and (I assume) has automated tools to make both production and consumption way more reliable.

3. Franchising. Once all the kinks are ironed out, Wolfpop can act as a template for future Midroll sister networks. I can imagine Wolftech, Wolftunes, and Wolfheart networks—each with their own curator like Scott or Paul—coming online using the same infrastructure. I would also expect Earwolf to eventually migrate to the new system, at which point these forums might be migrated or retired altogether.

But again, these are only inferences based on my 17-year career managing these types of projects, and not any information from Midroll themselves.

• Like 4

I will not like that post Dan because I will never give up this job.

I say it all the time but I love these forums man. I get so sad when I'm listening to a podcast that has little or no comment section/forum because I just wanna talk about it!!

It's even sadder when shows abandon their forums for reddit *coughjjgocough*

And I will NEVER get on reddit. You cannot make me.

• Like 8

I say it all the time but I love these forums man. I get so sad when I'm listening to a podcast that has little or no comment section/forum because I just wanna talk about it!!

It's even sadder when shows abandon their forums for reddit *coughjjgocough*

And I will NEVER get on reddit. You cannot make me.

I'm with you Shannon. The vibe here is almost always pleasant and reddit will never be that way.

• Like 3

Let me just say that all of us listeners are completely spoiled. We have the best network Earwolf, and the best fans and board participation. I have no Idea what goes into bringing some of my favorite shows from the studio to my earholes, but let me just say thank you to everyone involved. Thank you also to the admins and mods who help make these boards so fun.

• Like 7

Nor would I expect you to. Notice that you have a place of honor even on Wolfpop.com, Shannon, our queen, Mother of Wolves.

• Like 2