🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 66 — Wolfpop Curator Paul Scheer & Podcast Developer Matt Gourley

Earwolf and Midroll Media just launched a new podcast network: Wolfpop. Curator Paul Scheer and Podcast Developer Matt Gourley join Adam for this conversation recorded six hours after Wolfpop went live (and an all-nighter for Adam). They talk about how the idea for a pop culture focused network came together, and their strategy for building a slate of shows. Paul and Matt discuss how the focus was first on finding passionate hosts, then helping them develop formats that work best. Then they share some of the process of recruiting the Wolfpop talent--like cold-calling film critic Leonard Maltin, host of Maltin on Movies--and how Paul helped bring people on board by sharing his own experience hosting a podcast within an already busy schedule. Finally, they tackle the reasons for launching with a line-up of more than a dozen shows, and consider the "Waiting for Godot" of podcasting.

Good ep, sounds like they have a good handle on everything. Looking forward to a lot of this, and it was nice to get some perspective on these shows since announcing the site and dropping all the podcasts in one day was kind of overwhelming.

So now the earwolf community has to shuttle back and forth between two sites and two forums? Most of the wolfpop shows are hosted by comedians. I'm not really seeing the point here. This seems like GM changing a bumper on a chevy and calling it a pontiac.

So now the earwolf community has to shuttle back and forth between two sites and two forums? Most of the wolfpop shows are hosted by comedians. I'm not really seeing the point here. This seems like GM changing a bumper on a chevy and calling it a pontiac.

No, this is like GM having two cars, and putting Paul Scheer in one and Scott Aukerman in the other. And then calling one Earwolf and the other one Wolfpop. And then Stallone sits in the one with Paul.

I may not be good at analogies :P

• Like 2

So now the earwolf community has to shuttle back and forth between two sites and two forums?

No. No one has to do anything.

• Like 2

Never Not Funny's sister show, Rock Solid with Pat Francis seems like it would fit in well on WolfPop since its already an established podcast with a good format centered on music and its funny.

• Like 2

Never Not Funny's sister show, Rock Solid with Pat Francis seems like it would fit in well on WolfPop since its already an established podcast with a good format centered on music and its funny.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited to check out some of these shows. I have to agree with saddlebags though. I don't understand why they need two different networks. It's not like espn and espn2 where they can run two different shows concurrently. Or TNT and TBS where they need different formats. Tax scheme? A way to help Paul and June pay for that new baby? I kid, I kid. Looking forward to discovering some new podcasts.

I'm pretty excited to check out some of these shows. I have to agree with saddlebags though. I don't understand why they need two different networks. It's not like espn and espn2 where they can run two different shows concurrently. Or TNT and TBS where they need different formats. Tax scheme? A way to help Paul and June pay for that new baby? I kid, I kid. Looking forward to discovering some new podcasts.

Yeah, it feels like a slight inconvenience. Having to go to a different website and learn a new schedule of show releases. Its like a new restaurant has opened and you have to learn a new menu and figure out which days have what specials, etc... Its a slight burden when you're already on a heavy podcast diet.

Just to be clear, I'm all for more earwolf shows, or earwolf media shows? What term do we use to cover all of it? (See this is the problem)

Already listened to the first ep of I Was There Too and it's FANTASTIC. Got a bunch more loaded up.

I'm just frustrated because there are ways to split/federate/idontknowanymore a network without splitting up forums and comments and user accounts etc and I want that for Earwolf. And keep the branding/sub-branding clear. I want them to dominate.

Sign in to follow this