🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
agata

Episode 181 — Events

Tig, Kyle, and David start off with a discussion on remembering names and Kyle's physical changes. Then, Mark Flanagan, owner of The Largo, is in the hatch to talk about everybody's eyes and then describe his journey starting from the many battles to owning one the city's greatest venues all the way to the unique way he runs the place now. Finally, David closes out the show with a fan email.

Phenomenal episode! Flanagan's been a legendary figure for as long as I've been aware of the LA comedy scene (starting with Tenacious D bootlegs circa 2000) and he totally delivered on his first and only podcast appearance.

• Like 3

Phenomenal episode! Flanagan's been a legendary figure for as long as I've been aware of the LA comedy scene (starting with Tenacious D bootlegs circa 2000) and he totally delivered on his first and only podcast appearance.

Yes yes yes. This was so great. Between the subject matter and Flanny's accent, I could listen to hours of this. I really hope it finds its way into the ears of non-regular listeners, because I think most Earwolf fans and a lot of comedy fans in general would (or, I dare say, should) find this fascinating.

Also, a nice supplement to I Was There Too at the end.

(Side note - I've listened to every episode of PB and I'm fairly certain this is the first time Kyle has ever mentioned where he went to college.)

• Like 2

Kyle was so focused on the guest in this. Maybe he just has a lot of respect for Flannigan and let him talk. He was so engaging that I don't blame him.

Woah, he dropped a bombshell at the end there mentioning he was in There Will be Blood. That's one of my favorite movies and he was in one of the best scenes.

Great episode, great guest, I'm a happy blastronaught.

Holy moly! It took me until tonight to listen to this ep, and I had no idea it was about venues! I was at Tig's emmy-nominated recording of Tig & Friends at the Largo at the Coronet (I played hooky at work for three hours to attend last minute; no one at work even realized I had left), I was at Paul F. Tompkins live recording in Glendale at the Alex Theatre for his special 'Laboring Under Delusions' for which David opened (I was stoked when David was introduced as the opener!), and while I am unfortunately unfamiliar with Mark Flanagan (who I need to look up, now that I've enjoyed so many shows at his venue), I stood on the stage of the Largo just two weeks ago at the Patton Oswalt & Friends Show when Natasha Leggero asked me up to interview me and find me a date from the crowd (surprisingly, there were no takers). I can't believe his other friend worked at Molly Malone's, as I live about a half mile away and walked there to attend the Kiss Me I'm Patrick McMahon episode of the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project this past Morch (and episodes of Hollywood Handbook and Who Charted? have been recorded there live as well).

One of the MAIN reasons I could not wait to move to LA was so that I could attend comedy shows. This episode set off all sorts of bells in my head.

• Like 2

I don't usually enjoy so much name dropping, but Flanagan was super awesome- great ep.

Sign in to follow this