🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CrustyDustReceptacle

Best of 2014: Stump for favorite episodes here!

Voting has started for the CBB Best of 2014, and I'm always interested to see what people's favorite episodes are from throughout the year. Feel free to post entire Top 10s or just put in a good word for an episode that may be unjustly forgotten.

Vote here: http://earwolf.polldaddy.com/s/best-of-cbb-2014

Here's my ten:

260- Tiny Cheeseburger Story (Gino, Victor and Tiny!)

263- Hollywild (Coco Marx and Benny Schwazz!)

266- The Calvins Twins

272- Sex Party Season (Len Weisman, Gilly!)

283- The 5th Anniversary Show!

289-The Exorcism of Cake Boss

300- Oh Golly! You Devil

306- Project Funway (last-second choice, but I love every DSoWD episode)

309- Tony Macaroni (aka Comday Bing Bing)

312- Grounded Me@

No Besser (EDIT: except Matilda Besserina in 283), barely any Wompler, but still a pretty representative sample I would say.

• Like 2

I made a note in my Google Calendar over a year ago to remind myself to definitely vote for #259, Charlotte's Website. America, this is you.

And I don't know if the whole episode will make it, but I think the Closing Sentiment Off from #265 is the single funniest thing I heard all year.

This was the year of Lapkus. Behold.

• Like 5

Mine:

Ep #266 - The Calvins Twins (Taran Killam, Paul Brittain)

Ep #274 - Oh, Golly! (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)

Ep #280 - DuALity ("Weird Al" Yankovic, Paul F. Tompkins)

Ep #289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (Paul F. Tompkins, Matt Gourley)

Ep #301 - They're Twins Jonah! (Jonah Ray, Kumail Nanjiani & Brendon Small)

Ep #306 - Project Funway (Paul Rust, Harris Wittels & Michael Cassady)

Ep #307 - Ruth's Ross Dress For Loss (Tenacious D, Lauren Lapkus & Joe Wengert)

Ep #309 - Tony Macaroni (Nick Kroll, Jimmy Pardo & Claudia O'Doherty)

Ep #310 - Little Button Puss (Kevin Allison, Pamela Murphy & John Gemberling)

Ep #314 - Y'all Heard Any of These Names Before? (Cameron Esposito, Paul F. Tompkins)

That run from 300-315 or so is all pretty excellent.

• Like 2

I've just become a fan of CBB in the last 14, 15 months, so I need to go back and read the descriptions of these and try to remember what really stood out.

It's gonna be hard for me to not just vote for everything with Lapkus, Small (at least as Victor & Tiny), and Gabrus.

I made a note in my Google Calendar over a year ago to remind myself to definitely vote for #259, Charlotte's Website. America, this is you.

And I don't know if the whole episode will make it, but I think the Closing Sentiment Off from #265 is the single funniest thing I heard all year.

yes...Charlotte's website definitely snuck up on me. The AFV theme song by Lapkus was ringtone for about half the year. It's so old that people might forget about but it's definitely a worthy of a mention.

• Like 1

Yes, the Closing Sentiment Off was so great. The interview with Traci at the beginning of that episode (particularly the logistics of her butt-crack piercing) is also one of the funniest things I heard all year.

My ten were:

Ep #260 - Tiny Cheeseburger Story (Mike Birbiglia, Brendon Small & Jon Gabrus)

Ep #266 - The Calvins Twins (Taran Killam, Paul Brittain)

Ep #272 - Sex Party Season (Gillian Jacobs, Paul F. Tompkins)

Ep #283 - The 5th Anniversary Show! (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Jason Mantzoukas, Lauren Lapkus, Matt Besser, Paul F. Tompkins, Paul Rust & Neil Campbell)

Ep #286 - Time Bobby 3 (Bobby Moynihan, Paul F. Tompkins)

Ep #300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)

Ep #304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Lauren Lapkus, Jason Mantzoukas, Brian Huskey, Melissa Rauch & Andy Daly)

Tony Macaroni will be this year's #1 - I am predicting it now!

• Like 3

Glad to see the Tony Macaroni love...on balance may be my fave of the year, or at least tied with Sex Party Season, both of which I've relistened to multiple times.

My full list:

• Ep #263 - Hollywild (Ben Schwartz, Horatio Sanz)
  • Ep #266 - The Calvins Twins (Taran Killam, Paul Brittain)
  • Ep #272 - Sex Party Season (Gillian Jacobs, Paul F. Tompkins)
  • Ep #286 - Time Bobby 3 (Bobby Moynihan, Paul F. Tompkins)
  • Ep #289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (Paul F. Tompkins, Matt Gourley)
  • Ep #300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)
  • Ep #301 - They're Twins Jonah! (Jonah Ray, Kumail Nanjiani & Brendon Small)
  • Ep #309 - Tony Macaroni (Nick Kroll, Jimmy Pardo & Claudia O'Doherty)
  • Ep #310 - Little Button Puss (Kevin Allison, Pamela Murphy & John Gemberling)
  • Ep #320 - Charging Kids (Alex Borstein, Brendon Small & Molly Bretthauer) - a late favourite, narrowly edging out Only Tones, the most recent Benny Schwazz/Horatio Sanz and the Birthday Womptacular.

Seeing them all together like that only highlights what a phenomenal year IIIIIIT'S BEEN for the show - and I thought nothing could've topped last year's stellar run. Thank you, CBB, for many years of joyful Mondays!

• Like 2

Gino said in "Tiny Cheeseburger Story" that people that vote on things are psychopaths.

I've been visiting the CBB wiki to refresh my memory.

And I want to stump for Bob Ducca in "Yoke Jams," his only appearance this year. I must infer that he must be terribly lonely.

I was thinking it would be relatively easy to pick, then after looking at the list it's terrifying. There have been so many great eps.

If I could vote for an ep twice though, Toni Macaroni would get it in a heartbeat for me!

Ep #265 - LIVE from RIOT LA (Paul F. Tompkins, Lauren Lapkus & Harris Wittels)

Ep #272 - Sex Party Season (Gillian Jacobs, Paul F. Tompkins)

Ep #283 - The 5th Anniversary Show! (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Jason Mantzoukas, Lauren Lapkus, Matt Besser, Paul F. Tompkins, Paul Rust & Neil Campbell)

Ep #300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)

Ep #304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Lauren Lapkus, Jason Mantzoukas, Brian Huskey, Melissa Rauch & Andy Daly)

Ep #312 - Grounded Me@ (Andy Samberg, Lauren Lapkus)

Ep #317 - Tash.2 (Natasha Lyonne, Paul F. Tompkins & Mary Holland)

• Like 1

Ep 259-262 (the end run of last year was one of CBB's strongest; the one with Sanz as Aaron Neville killed me)

Ep #283 - 5th Anniversa

Ep #289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (episode of the year)

Ep #300 - Oh Golly! You Devil

Ep #304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular (more Dabney please)

Ep #305 - CattleLickItUp (Gino forever)

Ep #312 - Grounded Me@ just for the Hollywood Facts

I voted for the following:

1) The Calvins Twins (Because you gotta laugh!)

2) Oh, Golly! (I love Zouks and Daly episodes as is, but this one went to a strange, wonderful place.)

3) DuALity (Great chemistry between the two guests and a great game of Riddle Me This before it descended into its current crappiness).

4) Don't Hack the SAC (Claudia O'Doherty was the biggest CBB surprise of 2014. Her story was batshit insane and she played a great foil to Al and Scott)

5) Oh, Golly! You Devil (Not the funniest episode, but It's a hell of an accomplishment to pull off what they did, and to do it over two and a half hours)

6) They're Twins Jonah! (The Victor Podcast. Need I say more?)

7) Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular (An overabundance of riches. A bit uneven, but mostly hilarious.)

8) Grounded Me@ (Nice! Well it's Hollywood Facts and we're going downtown. Going to Inglewood now! Get your facts and know your stars. There's glitz, and glamour, and lots of bars. Get a drink at a club, and then go walk in front of the Chinese theater. Hollywood facts, take out your dicks. Check out the facts it's the Hollywood facts, brah. The fact that I recited this from memory means this episode must have had a huge effect on me.)

9) Tony Macaroni (A great episode overall. I don't know why, but I could listen to R. Shrift say 'yes' a million times and it would never get old.)

10) Gumbo Challenge (I couldn't go without a Benny Schwaz or Horatio Sans episode, and this was my favorite of the year.)

I'm really surprised/disappointed that no Gino Lombardo or Joe Wengert episodes made the cut, but this was a great year for CBB. And the episode of the year has to be They're Twins Jonah! if only because nothing from this show has ever made me laugh more than The Victor Podcast. Truly C+ material.

• Like 1

1.) Tony Macaroni (Obviously. My favorite CBB episode ever. LARRY PETUNIA, ONION UNION.)

2.) Return To Suicide House (Too many perfect bits to mention, but top two have to be the Spooky Orgy rap breakdown and FOR THREEEE DAYSSSS.)

3.) Nubile Agape (Horatio's Aaron Neville is the best voice on the whole show. He can say anything and be hilarious. Kulap and Shelby also go along with it a perfect amount as they're totally okay with breaking character when it makes things funnier.)

4.) Hollywild (There's something about the Schwartz and Sanz combination that is consistent gold for me. The end.)

5.) Sex Party Season (It was all the Garry Marshall/Gillan Jacobs episodes that got me into the show, so I feel obliged to vote for this. It does deserve it though, as it's incredible.)

6.) Don't Hack The SAC (The only slightly less awesome Claudia O'Doherty episode, which is still hilarious.)

7.) Project Funway (I don't want to like this one, as the humour is super easy, but that's part of what makes it so great. The fact that everyone seems totally comfortable with just saying the first thing that comes into their head gives it a really fun loose vibe.)

8.) Grounded Me@ (If you don't think Todd is the best Lauren Lapkus character you can go and eat suckin' lollipops all day and night.)

9.) Ya'll Heard Any Of These Names Before? (Genuinely don't even find this one that funny, but it has one of the best "stories" of any CBB episode. When they realise who is stealing the water and react with genuine surprise it's so much fun.)

10.) Lumber Hack (Actually not a fan of quite a bit of this one, but the second half, especially the stuff about Horatio Sanz, totally makes up for it.)

Check out the charts it's the Hollywood charts! BRO!

I am legitimately sad that we are going to go a full calendar year without a Tim Heidecker appearance

Ya goofed, Scott!

• Like 2

Ep #260 - Tiny Cheeseburger Story

Ep #274 - Oh, Golly!

Ep #284 - A Thrilling CBB Adventure Hour

Ep #285 - Solo Bolo

Ep #289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss

Ep #299 - Don't Hack the SAC

Ep #300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil

Ep #301 - They're Twins Jonah!

Ep #304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular

Ep #308 - Superego: Loose Beginnings, Tight Ends

ps. Victor and and Tiny rule

This was my ten:

259 Charlotte's Website

260 Tiny Cheeseburger Story

261 Love Agape

272 Sex Party Season

280 DuALity

305 CattleLickItUp

306 Project Funway

312 Grounded Me@

317 Tash.2

320 Charging Kids

This was really hard. Wanted to include Solo Bolo, LIVE from RIOT LA, In the Larp Run, Return to Suicide House, The 2013 Holiday Spectacular, the two Wompler episodes, Calvins Twins, and the Fifth Anniversary Special. But I am one man, and I get 10 votes.

Standout moments from episodes I didn't vote for and want to mention now: Victor's podcast, Neil Campbell's character on In the Larp Run.

I'm voting for "Episode #290: Shed Busting" (Todd Glass, James Adomian) because I think it's a great example of Scott's abilities as a host. It is amazing here that he can draw four characters out of the talented James Adomian and orchestrate a discussion between them. He's why CBB can be so great.

• Like 2

Honestly, I thought every episode was great this year. Getting it to a top 10 was hard, and I'm not even sure I agree with what I picked. There are probably 20 episodes I would consider classics.

The Calvins Twins is my #1, but after that it's tough to be sure, to borrow a phrase from episode 300.

If theres no Ben Shwartz on this list I will end myself

Solo Bolo needs to be #1 - ive never heard scott more on his feet with random hilarious shit

also, that one guy way up there on the first page is right - Sanz + Shwartz could run the comedy world. The two together.... yes. im never getting lost in LA again

Here's what I voted for, and what most sticks in my mind from each:

263 - Hollywild: "Hey, Oprah would be a good answer to any of these! What was the last one, What does a Chimpanzee- oh, no!"

265 - Live from RIOT LA: Alligator doing a double take.

272 - Sex Party Season: Technicality No-Down Boo Over

274 - Oh Golly: Scott and Jason cracking up when it is revealed that Don DiMello is Satan's high commander

280 - DuALity: Bill Murray's appearance

283 - The 5th Anniversary Show: JW Stillwater's short conversation with Mike the Janitor

286 - Time Bobby 3: The whole last ten minutes, especially the technicality no down boo-over (been a while since we've had one of those, huh?)

289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss: The Bazooka Joe comic

300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil: Scott bringing Golly back just so he can drop the title one more time & Also the triumphant return of My Wife

313 - Gumbo Challenge: Aaron Neville's SNL Monologue

• Like 1