🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CrustyDustReceptacle

Best of 2014: Stump for favorite episodes here!

I feel like the year has been the most consistently funny. The lulls this year were shorter than they've been previously. No single guest or episode has missed -- it feels like the guests want to step up or Scott always steps up for them. The favorites are gonna be the beloved reoccurring characters, and who can pick those, it's a personal thing. I have mine for sure (everything PFT). Great season and great fucking job everyone

Truly a gauntlet this year. I've been listening almost two years now and had to finally make an account on here just to list a bunch of great episodes.

Here are the ten I voted for (in chrono-order):

259 - Charlotte's Website

260 - Tiny Cheeseburger Story

270 - Off the Grid

297 - Canadian Apparel

299 - Don't Hack the SAC

301 - They're Twins Jonah!

307 - Ruth's Ross Dress for Less

309 - Tony Macaroni

312 - Grounded Me@

321 - Big Fat Voice

I had to think of my votes in terms of star performers and overall enjoyment of the performers throughout the year. I don't really have the time to go back and listen to every single episode from the year (though I've heard all of them more than once), so I can't say that these are the episodes with the absolute best bits, but they're all winners.

This year had a lot of new performers or performers who reached new heights for me. Claudia O'Doherty was a revelation and I felt compelled to vote for both of her episodes; Brendon Small killed it on every appearance and gave us one of the phrases of the year; Joe Wengert grew into his own and consistently brought new and versatile characters that were funny as fuck; Lauren Lapkus became this years' PFT, plugging the gaps some weaker episodes and dominating the stage in episodes filled with more veteran performers; Jon Gabrus showed why he is one of CBB's most underrated performers with brilliant Gino magic throughout the year; Sanz/Schwaz continued to be Sanz/Schwaz and killed me time and time again; Chelsea solidified her place as one of the CBB Greats with some more of her amazing, recorded laughter.

One notable thing about this season as well was the ultra high quality of the first timers. I had to vote for Charlotte's Website because DAG was such a treat in that episode; Jim O'Heir was a much more brilliant co-host for Scott than you would assume if you were not familiar with his non-Parks work (as I am not); Dane Cook ep was funny and serious and great, bring him back!; Natasha Lyonne was riotous; back to back Borstein and Gasteyer, are you kidding me?! As his profile continues to rise hopefully Scott will continue to bring in interesting and unique people from all over the comedy world to delight us in ways we wouldn't have expected.

Further, it was great to see some old favorites again! Pardo! Birbiglia! Jo Lo! Wyatt! Doug! Thune! Todd Glass! Even some random episodes without the big names or the big moments were super enjoyable throughout ("Nubile Agape" with Shelby/Kulap, "Thrilling Adventure Hour", "The Hotwives of Orlando"). And, last but not least, the musician episodes have been unambiguously great. Always surprised that Scott and the other performers are able to get other people into the mood. Twin Shadow, Old 97s/Berninger, Tenacious D, Paul Banks, all amazing.

What year.

• Like 1

I started listening with last year's Best Of shows, so I haven't heard the ones that aired prior to those. My top ten:

1. Ep #274 - Oh, Golly! (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)

2. Ep #284 - A Thrilling CBB Adventure Hour (Marc Evan Jackson, Mark Gagliardi & Paul F. Tompkins)

3. Ep #266 - The Calvins Twins (Taran Killam, Paul Brittain)

4. Ep #300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil (Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly)

5. Ep #301 - They're Twins Jonah! (Jonah Ray, Kumail Nanjiani & Brendon Small)

tied for 6th:

• Ep #267 - That Wasn't It (I'm Back) [Hee Hee] (Jerrod Carmichael, Neil Campbell & Mookie Blaiklock)
  • Ep #289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (Paul F. Tompkins, Matt Gourley)
  • Ep #307 - Ruth's Ross Dress For Loss (Tenacious D, Lauren Lapkus & Joe Wengert)
  • Ep #309 - Tony Macaroni (Nick Kroll, Jimmy Pardo & Claudia O'Doherty)
  • Ep #312 - Grounded Me@ (Andy Samberg, Lauren Lapkus)

I'm a new listener of CBB, #321 was my first, so I made a list of all the eps that got nominated here and I'm going to start there. And because I have no life, here are the ones that recieved the most votes:

289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (15)

300 - Oh Golly, You Devil! (13)

309 - Tony Macaroni (13)

301 - They're Twins, Jonah! (12)

312 - Grounded Me (12)

266 - The Calvin Twins (8)

272 - Sex Party Season (8)

274 - Oh, Golly! (8)

304 - Marissa Wompler (8)

260 - Tiny Cheeseburger Story (7)

283 - 5th Anniversary Show (7)

• Like 1

I'm a new listener of CBB, #321 was my first, so I made a list of all the eps that got nominated here and I'm going to start there. And because I have no life, here are the ones that recieved the most votes:

289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss (15)

300 - Oh Golly, You Devil! (13)

309 - Tony Macaroni (13)

301 - They're Twins, Jonah! (12)

312 - Grounded Me (12)

266 - The Calvin Twins (8)

272 - Sex Party Season (8)

274 - Oh, Golly! (8)

304 - Marissa Wompler (8)

260 - Tiny Cheeseburger Story (7)

283 - 5th Anniversary Show (7)

If you want to be even more sold on it than you already are, you should go back and listen to some of the oldies. I guarantee if you like the show already, you'll love these: 174, 176, all of the farts and procreation episodes (chelsea peretti, harris wittels, adam scott as the guests) but the third one lost a bit of steam

If you want to be even more sold on it than you already are, you should go back and listen to some of the oldies. I guarantee if you like the show already, you'll love these: 174, 176, all of the farts and procreation episodes (chelsea peretti, harris wittels, adam scott as the guests) but the third one lost a bit of steam

I would piggyback on that by suggesting episode 99 (AKA the Don Dimello episode), Time Bobby, and the first Gillian Jacobs/Garry Marshall episode, and Wipeout! (Dalton Wilcox's premiere). Honestly, there are probably another dozen episodes out there that are world-class and you'll get different suggestions from everyone. Good luck catching up.

At a glance I saw only one mention of Smaug's Kickstarter. This will not do.

For the second mention I will quietly reminisce about Smaug covering Neil Young, the very thing that got me to start listening to the show again after taking a year or so off. Not a perfect episode, perhaps the greatness was only felt by me and one other, but one of the more consistently funny of the year. It didn't have the ambition of Oh Golly: You Devil but it somehow worked on me even better. I'm not the most faithful listener so take it all with a grain of salt.

Honk Shoo > Tiny Cheeseburger > Calvins > Smaug > the recent one with Yankovic. Thems to the top five.

I forgot which 10 I voted for (obviously the two claudia o'doherty eps given my user name)

Just wanted to say that anyone disappointed with Time Bobby 3 (I'm not even seeing it mentioned much here) should definitely listen to the live NYC episode with Fourvel and Alan Thicke because it is right on par with Time Bobby 2.

Oh yeah. I enjoyed a lot of moments in Time Bobby 3, but thought that Fourvel's potential as a character had more or less been exhausted. But that live episode was really, really funny.

I'm sorry to say, but I've lost a bit of in interest in the show lately. I stopped listening for about 3 months after Wompler's birthday (and an exception for Suicide House). I don't know why, but it feels a little different to me. I've been catching up this past two weeks because I feel I should listen to all if I'm going to vote.

My list:

267 - That Wasn't It (I'm Back)[Hee Hee] - Mookie was awesome

274 - Oh, Golly! - Classic Zouks, Aukerman and Daly

280 - DuALity - Weird Al and PFT, say no more.

283 - 5th Anniversary Show! - Fun returning character stuff.

289 - The Exorcism of Cake Boss - Gourley's HR was awesome, and a new PFT character.

300 - Oh, Golly! You Devil - Maybe my favorite episode ever.

303 - Puttering Around - PFT, Loudon and MASH talk

304 - Marissa Wompler's Six Flags Birthday Womptacular - I love me some Wompler

312 - Grounded Me@ - Repetition of the song was great.

319 - Return to Suicide House Part Gore - Gelman's return and Ghost Boy

i'm losing my mind over trying to boil down a top ten but worth mentioning that i remember adomian's george w. bush in ep 290 really made me laugh super hard

i'm losing my mind over trying to boil down a top ten but worth mentioning that i remember adomian's george w. bush in ep 290 really made me laugh super hard

He used to do Dubya on the Craig Ferguson show back in the day, and of course his memorable performance in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay -- I wondered if Dubya would ever appear on CBB.

He used to do Dubya on the Craig Ferguson show back in the day, and of course his memorable performance in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay -- I wondered if Dubya would ever appear on CBB.

holy crap, i totally didn't know that was him in harold and kumar! OF COURSE!!

Really looks like Victor & Tiny, Golly, and Claudia O'Doherty are shoe-ins for top 5.

It'll probably be either a moment from Golly or Victor's Podcast in the number 1 spot.