🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
kennygray

Is Anyone Else Annoyed by Scott Recently?

Let me start off by saying this, I am a long time listener, and massive fan of all things CBB/Earwolf. I have spent countless hours listening to their podcasts, which is why I have been upset as of late. It seems that Scott has been unable to shake the endless bit style of U Talkin U2 To Me. Harris even called him out on this on Analyze Phish, and got audibly very frustrated. In the recent shows it seems that guests/characters can't even get a few words out without Scott derailing them for an eye rolling bit. And while I know this is his sense of humor, it becomes overbearing, and not funny. Not letting the characters develop, and explain themselves, puts a halt the nonsense that could occur. Just look at Andy Daly, or Nick Kroll. Scott gave them the space to explain themselves, and THEN started prodding and probing for nonsense. I guess I feel like the podcasts are not moving, and being stunted for the sake of... well I don't know... his ego? I love Scott so much, and hope that he is able to reestablish then sense of balance between guest and host! Thoughts?

Sorry Kenny. Not annoyed with Scott at all. His current style is just the culmination of everything he's been working on until now. If you aren't into it anymore that's ok too. I like it a lot.

• Like 1

Yeah, can't say I agree with any of this generally, and some of the examples you chose are frankly bizarre: you're seriously looking to HARRIS for sincerity? And Andy Daly is one of the few who Scott DOES consistently try to throw off with bits/irrelevant side questions, purely cos he knows Daly can handle it.

I'm a bit surprised how anyone could call themselves a fan of the show and not give kudos to Scott for his mercurial hosting abilities, tbh.

I definitely think that Scott has upped the bit ratio--I've noticed it, too. But he's also sharper and funnier than he's ever been. I've been working my way through every episode, and honestly the show just gets better as it goes along, because Scott gets more and more confident as a host and builds upon his persona. Basically, he is the voice of the show. He IS the show. Like, I love all the bits and sketches on Conan, but at the end of the day I tune in for Conan. Comedy Bang Bang is not very different. It's a talk show based around the host's voice and personality. We love CBB for the characters, but the main character is Scott Aukerman, and he is playing a character.

I also feel like you're missing perhaps THE central running gag of the show. The fact that Scott constantly interrupts or "impedes" the characters, tries to dismiss them ("Ok, well thanks for stopping by. Wait there's more?") or gets caught up in completely inane details of their insane stories is all part of the joke.

• Like 2

That's the way Scott has always been. I feel like stuff like that might just stand out more with new guests who aren't familiar with all the recurring bits. I'm thinking of Ana Gasteyer and Alex Borstein

I'm a bit surprised how anyone could call themselves a fan of the show and not give kudos to Scott for his mercurial hosting abilities, tbh.

No doubt. Maybe it's just me, but for me, it seems like he's been working a LOT on his questions.

Regards

No doubt. Maybe it's just me, but for me, it seems like he's been working a LOT on his questions.

Regards

Well, 'hosting' used loosely, of course. I guess I meant more how he can dial things up or down depending on who he's talking to/what about, i.e. the more serious tone of the most recent Todd Glass episode.

everyone's being very diplomatic (as they should be), so just for fun, I'm going to be the dick.

go listen to a different show you dumb motherfucker!

• Like 6

A lot of the intros to the show make me think "Man, I could never get my friends to listen to this." Or "get on with it." But once Scott gets into the banter with a guest, especially someone like Benny Schwaz or a PFT/Horatio/Lapkus character, he's pretty much golden.

Also, I am too young to get most of the references, which can be a problem with the show in general. But I suck it up and google things like who Jaye Davidson is, because it's worth it.

I figured I would ask this question here: I'm a huge fan of Hollywood Handbook and improv4humans but when I tried to watch the CBB TV show I instantly disliked its off-kilter-ness. This has caused me to pause on trying the podcast. Is the podcast the same in name and host only or will I probably dislike it too?

• Like 1

I've been listening to CBBs old and new lately, and while Scott's podcasting persona has changed a lot over the years (and changes still from episode to episode), he's as amazing as ever, if not moreso. The last year has been extraordinarily stellar (and I've really, really loved the last two months or so in particular).

Maybe you just need a break from the podcast for a while, if you're feeling like you say? It might be less a change in Scott you're noticing and more a change in what you want to listen to/your CBB saturation levels?

watchayakan, I'd recommend giving Comedy Bang Bang, the podcast, a shot. I love both the TV show and the 'cast, but they have very different energies. For one, while the podcast is a continuous, hour-plus long conversation/improv session, the TV show is a tightly edited combo of scripted bits, sketches, and improvised moments that slots into about 21 minutes.

If you're into Improv4Humans, find an episode with Besser or Lapkus or another I4H regular you like and dive in (or there might be a list of introduction-worthy episodes somewhere around here?).

• Like 1

If you're into Improv4Humans, find an episode with Besser or Lapkus or another I4H regular you like and dive in (or there might be a list of introduction-worthy episodes somewhere around here?).

is there a list? that's a pretty good idea if not.

anyway, I'll recommend the episode that I first heard that got me into CBB (CDR then) back in the day, ep 78 with Doug Benson and John Gemberling, it still makes me laugh out loud

btw can we just jack this idiotic thread and turn it into an recommendation thread for watchayakan and others looking to get into CBB?

btw can we just jack this idiotic thread and turn it into an recommendation thread for watchayakan and others looking to get into CBB?

Time Bobby 1, Farts and Pro 1 and the Andy Daly/Jason Mantzoukas combo eps (in order) would be my recomms! I think someone actually asked Scott this very thing on Twitter recently and he said the Best Ofs and any Amy Poehler ep, which would also be a good start.

• Like 1

...suck it up and google things like who Jaye Davidson is, because it's worth it.

Um, it's "Day Javidson"

an introduction-worthy uhhh, an introduction-worthy uhhh, an introduction-worthy uhhh, an introduction-worthy uhhh, an introduction-worthy uhhh...

• Like 3

Thanks for the ideas. I love Gemberling and Lapkus so that sounds like a good start.

• Like 1

Please don't make the TV show taint the podcast. I am a huge fan of the podcast and I know a number of others who are who all dont watch the TV show because they don't find it funny at all.

I think the TV status puts more pressure on, but it really feels less funny than the podcast. Its not as improvised and the pre-planned bits are often not funny enough for me.

Listen to:

Nick Kroll and John Mulaney (episode 174)

Amy Poehler, Jason Mantzoukas, James Adomian (episode 176)

I cant remember others but honestly, these 2 are so freaking funny I could listen every day and continue to laugh at them. Listen to these two, and if you don't like them, I wouldn't bother trying to like the podcast

• Like 1

I like the podcast better than the TV show also. But there is 322 eps at 90 minutes compared to 40 eps at 20 minutes, so that could be some of the reason why.

• Like 2

Yeah, the TV show isn't as funny as the podcast for reasons mentioned above and also due to the fact that almost nothing is.

But on a more serious note, anyone who was turned off by the first season of the TV show should give it another try. It's gotten a lot better and the style of humor is more in line with the podcast. It's gone from a show that I enjoyed partially because it was genuinely funny and partially because it was just fun to watch Scott & Co. get to do all this crazy stuff on TV to one of my absolute favorite shows.

• Like 3

Yeah, the TV show isn't as funny as the podcast for reasons mentioned above and also due to the fact that almost nothing is.

But on a more serious note, anyone who was turned off by the first season of the TV show should give it another try. It's gotten a lot better and the style of humor is more in line with the podcast. It's gone from a show that I enjoyed partially because it was genuinely funny and partially because it was just fun to watch Scott & Co. get to do all this crazy stuff on TV to one of my absolute favorite shows.

yeah i agree with this too. I think that the show needs to exist more than it should exist if that makes any sense. It might not be as funny as the podcast but the fact that it's giving the podcast and Earwolf a much higher profile and it's giving work and exposure to so so many funny people makes it totally cool in my mind.

Exactly this!

I also enjoyed it from the start, but wasn't necesarily as crazy about it in the same way I am the podcasts. But it has improved so much since that time, it's clear they've all learned a lot from the earlier episodes and have balanced the styles and humour a lot better.

I absolutely adore the show now though, it makes me laugh so much and it feels like the perfect expression of Scott and Co's wit and silliness. It has definitely developed really well and the creative voices of those involved seems much clearer now they have a stronger idea of what they can do with the format.

In short, I love the TV show. If nothing else, it brings me so much delight to see all these great comics on tv and doing funny/silly things.

I mean hey, these things come in phases. A new iteration of sketch comedy. It was Mr Show in the 90's...now it's Comedy Bang Bang ...... :P

• Like 1