🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
kennygray

Is Anyone Else Annoyed by Scott Recently?

The recent parodies of Bill Carter's The Late Shift book and Conan's full TV cast interviews really were amazing. Comedy Bang Bang has completely evolved from the show it was in season one.

No. Scott is on fire lately and has never been funnier. HOOOOOWWWW DAAARREEE YOUUUUU

Maybe it's just me, but for me, the TV show is way way way more important than the podcast. The podcast gets bigger laughs, but less of them; whole episodes go by where I just don't feel a character and I'm stuck with them for forty-five minutes. But simply by nature of their having to build a persona in that amount of time means they, eventually, will get a big laugh at some point. Usually. It's just probability.

The TV show is legitimately and consistently brilliant. It is never mean-spirited, and always fresh. No bit goes on too long. It does not skewer the late-night talk show so much as enhance it, not deconstructing the genre but redecorating it and shifting the goalposts (to use about four metaphors in one). It is a mission statement that "this is Comedy" and it has never even hinted at deviation from that.

The biggest problem the show has is that the first season was incapable of performing as much creativity; in a way, it makes sense, but it is utterly odd to see the first ten episodes go by where there isn't some frame parody/sketch to drive the rest episode, and everything is played straight like a regular talk show. They still do this occasionally (Patton Oswalt's premiere episode this year did this, as did the past week's if my memory isn't collapsing upon itself), but nine times out of ten it sets out to take one (to my infinite amusement, increasingly obscure) topic and find some new angle to inject comedy into it.

The TV show lives up to the title; the comedy just oozes and shoots out, full of thought and message. "This is comedy," it says, "Bang! Bang!"

tldr The running gag of a rivalry with Maron never ever gets old, and the joke where Scott goes to the dry cleaner and his clothes are soaking wet is the best ever written

Amy Poehler, Jason Mantzoukas, James Adomian (episode 176)

Consider yourself responsible for one more subscriber. I already loved Amy and Jason but Adomian's character really had me howling. This episode plus watching this week's South Park and New Girl tonight made tonight probably one of my funniest nights.

• Like 3

Thanks for the ideas. I love Gemberling and Lapkus so that sounds like a good start.

The "Farts and Procreation" eps with Adam Scott, Harris Wittels and Chelsea Peretti are hysterical. Also love all the Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham shows. Horatio Sanz has also had some amazing appearances as Aaron Neville.

Not at all, and I have been listening since episode 50 or so. I really enjoy his interview style when it's someone new, and I think he does a good job of knowing when someone can handle his bit parade (Alex Bournstein, Ana Gastayer, TFF) and when someone might benefit from a more straight forward interview (Dane Cook).

I'm also not sure that things have changed all that much in terms of his hosting style. CDR/CBB has been bit heavy since the start. Obviously, Scott has improved a lot as a host over the years, and the show's format has become more defined.

As far as his interactions with the characters, one of the things that made me such a huge fan of the show is how much he tries to throw off master improvisers like Andy Daly, Seth Morris, Nick Kroll, PFT, etc. It's lead to some of the funniest moments in the show's history. Perhaps you're a bit more used to his style now and you're seeing it more?

He has a habit of keeping running jokes going for months at a time, and the only annoying thing for me is when one of those bits don't land. The only time I can think of that happening though was the joke where he couldn't say the name of the podcast. So, that's one joke that I really didn't like out of, I dunno, a million? that I either liked or were neutral about. That's a solid C+ in my book.

But on a more serious note, anyone who was turned off by the first season of the TV show should give it another try. It's gotten a lot better and the style of humor is more in line with the podcast. It's gone from a show that I enjoyed partially because it was genuinely funny and partially because it was just fun to watch Scott & Co. get to do all this crazy stuff on TV to one of my absolute favorite shows.

I actually liked season 1 a lot, and lost interest during season two. (Sorry everyone!)

I feel like Leo Allen's absense after season 1 is a part of it.

Let me start off by saying this, I am a long time listener, and massive fan of all things CBB/Earwolf. I have spent countless hours listening to their podcasts, which is why I have been upset as of late. It seems that Scott has been unable to shake the endless bit style of U Talkin U2 To Me. Harris even called him out on this on Analyze Phish, and got audibly very frustrated. In the recent shows it seems that guests/characters can't even get a few words out without Scott derailing them for an eye rolling bit. And while I know this is his sense of humor, it becomes overbearing, and not funny. Not letting the characters develop, and explain themselves, puts a halt the nonsense that could occur. Just look at Andy Daly, or Nick Kroll. Scott gave them the space to explain themselves, and THEN started prodding and probing for nonsense. I guess I feel like the podcasts are not moving, and being stunted for the sake of... well I don't know... his ego? I love Scott so much, and hope that he is able to reestablish then sense of balance between guest and host! Thoughts?

I could not disagree with you more.

• Like 2