🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 98 — LOL: LIVE!

It’s another special HDTGM All-Stars episode with guest co-hosts Rob Huebel & Chelsea Peretti as well as special guest John Flynn and they’re talking all about Miley Cyrus & Demi Moore in LOL. Recorded LIVE at Largo in Los Angeles, they get into the family bathtub scene, how Demi Moore got involved in the movie, the original French version of the movie, and the web-camera that goes inside a raw chicken. Plus, we hear from the camera assistant who put the camera inside the chicken and what was cut from the editor in the film during audience Q&As!

THIS IS HAPPENING TODAY TOO!?!?!?!

tumblr_ndgyhuAZu91qzx1gjo6_250.gif

WHAT A FRIDAY THIS SHALL BE

• Like 10

http://forum.earwolf...opic/10739-lol/

This thread is also an alternative to the episode, hell, shame it wasn't brought over as the "official" thread.

In fact, pretty much EVERYTHING that could be thought of for this film, is probably in that thread, and more.

• Like 4

I've never been so mad at you guys for making me watch a movie.

this was the most unbearable pile of shit thing I have ever seen.

I want to listen to the episode now but it's way too late. at least I'll have something waiting for me when I wake up.

• Like 4

I've never been so mad at you guys for making me watch a movie.

this was the most unbearable pile of shit thing I have ever seen.

I want to listen to the episode now but it's way too late. at least I'll have something waiting for me when I wake up.

Well, there's a big ass thread with people who feel just like you.

• Like 3

Huebel's rage toward this POS is perfect. Gah I'm only 10 minutes in and have to shut this glorious ep off for work, now I'm gonna be in HDTGM withdrawal all day.

• Like 1

When I was in high school, a teacher told us that marijuana use causes schizophrenia and that that was why her brother was schizophrenic. When I researched that idea, I found that scientists have found a correlation between marijuana use and first episodes of schizophrenia BUT the direction of the effect has not been established. In short, it's possible the people who are dealing with symptoms of schizophrenia (which would obviously be upsetting) might start using marijuana to cope with them. It might also lead to earlier onset schizophrenia but not create it out of nothing.

See:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322395006095

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.ajp.2009.09030311

I'm also fairly sure that if marijuana use does have a causal relationship with schizophrenia, it's in people who are already predisposed to schizophrenia.

TL;DR: Marijuana use and schizophrenia are associated but one does not necessarily cause the other.

• Like 4

Can anyone tell me why they were making a point not to criticise the chicken lady? I was convinced it was because she was going to be in the audience, until the episode ended and she didn't appear.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why they were making a point not to criticise the chicken lady? I was convinced it was because she was going to be in the audience, until the episode ended and she didn't appear.

Because she was in an episode of The League is my guess.

• Like 2

...not that I was crying out for her to get ripped to shreds or anything. She did a good job with what was handed to her.

That she was handed a chicken and a webcam makes it all the more impressive.

I loved this episode! Thanks to Paul, Chelsea, Rob and John... You gave me LOL (Lots of Love) and I LOL'd (Laughed Out Loud)

• Like 1

Great episode!

I have written on Miley's diary in the movie before, but it wasn't really brought up in the episode other than to say it existed. My question is why--in a movie that hinges so much on digital interaction--would Lola (I am not calling her Lol, because despite what she claims in the movie, her friend's rarely call her that) be writing in a pen and paper diary? Wouldn't she have a online diary? And, yes, I understand it was so Demi could stumble on it and create some conflict, but couldn't the same thing be achieved by writing a scene where Demi's character needs to get something off of her laptop and Miley simply forgot to close the page out?

It just seems kind of anachronistic is all...kind of like scoring your 2008 French movie trailer about modern teenagers with mid-nineties songs by Blur and Supergrass. Where was David Guetta and Daft Punk?

• Like 1

Well, there's a big ass thread with people who feel just like you.

I seen it. haven't read much on there yet, but I will. I have to make as much good as possible come from watching this.

• Like 1

Awesome show guys. I have a lot to unpack here.

First, thank you for pointing out all those instances of product placement, but you missed the biggest one: the charm bracelet! Just before Miley leaves for Paris, Demi gives her that charm for her bracelet and there is a VERY LONG shot of the Pandora box. Not only is the shot pointless, the whole scene is pointless--it never comes back. Just the 487th oppotunity for them to say "I love you mom" "I love you too."

Also, the one line that made me crazy was the "This is my first time...since my divorce." It is? But...but...you're dating your ex-husband! We see him sneaking in at night and trying not to wake up the kids. You two are sitting in bed together! Does he actually sneak in just to go to sleep and not have sex with you?

Actually, I prefer to think everyone making the movie just forgot that the ex-husband existed.

And finally, I just thought it was a little weird that Miley Cyrus, who is at this point transitioning from Hannah Montana to a more "serious" music career, is in a movie where the climax (?) is at a Battle of the Bands, where a band features prominently throughout the movie, and she has NOTHING to do with it.

• Like 6

So, how is Lol short for Lola anyway? I understand that it shaves an entire syllable off of your time, but it's still about as efficient as having a friend named Jeff that you call Jeh for short.

• Like 5

You'll have to forgive me, but I haven't seen this movie since it was on Netflix so my memory might be a bit hazy. I imagine it is kind of like being a terrible car accident--the scars remain, even if the event itself is a blur...

Anyway, did anyone else think that the guy web web cam girl was removing the gizzards for (a new masturbation term I'm coining) was going to turn out to be the hot teacher? I think, in terms of story and character arc, it would have worked better if it had been. Even when she sees Screech 2.0 wearing the same shirt at the party, I was convinced it was a misdirect. It's not like two people can't purchase the same shirt...

In my version of things, she would have eventually found out it was him and they almost have sex. Then, just as they are about to do it, she has a sudden realization of how icky the whole situation really is and breaks it off before it goes any further. I think this would have generated more pathos for web cam girl when she discovers that having a dream and the reality of achieving said dream can at times be two vastly different things.

Instead we learn two things:

• Hot girls should totally give pervy nerds a chance, because they might be able to deliver the goods. Which is... nice I guess?

and

• If you have sex enough times with a person you don't particularly like or have anything else in common with, eventually you will break down and settle into a relationship that might--to an emotionless being unfamiliar with the concept--be construed as "love."

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this