🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darbler Cheesegarbler

Cakeboss: The Game

Hello friends! I know I'm already cluttering up the General Earwolf forum with my annoying bullshit, but instead of censoring myself I've decided to really lean into it, be myself, and see how other people receive my personal impulses.

This morning I want to share with you a 3D character I created over the weekend based on Mario 64 and Paul F. Tompkinses's' Cakeboss. I really want to make a 3D platformer where you play as Cakeboss in a Mario 64-like environment, and my animating and programming skills have finally caught up with my ambitions. I'm posting this here because nothing would make this game better than getting input from fans of CBB and PFT on how to make this something really special, and something that does justice to the podcast and has plenty of easter eggs for us fans.

Please leave any suggestions you can think of on how to make this an amazing game, please let me know what you think of the 3D model, and please don't tell anyone that I'm making this game because chances are it's probably illegal to use these likenesses. Although, if it's done in parody, can't I pretty much do anything?

Also, I doubt this will ever happen, but in my heart's soul, my deepest of deeps, I hope that someone from Earwolf, or even Mr. Tompkins himself, will comment on this and help guide where this game is going.

GIw4LBY.jpg

• Like 3

This the best. Obviously instead of "Yahoo!" he should yell "Cakeboss!"

• Like 1

you should have cake bugs hidden in the game and if you find them you get transported to fictional character heaven

• Like 6

Thank you both for your responses! I have to wonder if it would be illegal for me to steal a soundbite of PFT saying "Cakeboss!" to use as his default exclamation, like when he takes a third jump or something. I really want to, but I also don't want to be a dirty thief. Maybe some friends from the Earwolf community could provide their own "Cakeboss!" soundbite and I could use that, and then we'd be narrowly avoiding theft. Then again I don't plan to make any money from this, so I guess it doesn't really matter, right?

Jacob, I know it's cheesy and stupid, but it really warms my heart and makes me smile that you commented on this. I didn't know if anyone would respond at all, and this is a great surprise.

Shannon, I'm thrilled that you responded to this and that sounds like the beginnings of a great game mechanic! If you look closely at my avatar, you'll see a cake bug on Buddy's shoulder, so you can tell I love the idea of adding collectible cake bugs throughout the 3D game. Fictional Character Heaven is also a bottomless well of game ideas, so good call on including that in the virtual cakeverse. There also must be a place for scarabs and wolves, they seem like pretty standard enemies. I'd also like to include Chewbacca... At this point, I don't care if it's canon or not. There could be a whole level based on the inky blackness manifested from the undead mind of HR Giger.

you should have cake bugs hidden in the game and if you find them you get transported to fictional character heaven

if I'm not mistaken cake bugs give you the gift of the second sight, cake scarabs let you see into fictional character heaven

• Like 3

if I'm not mistaken cake bugs give you the gift of the second sight, cake scarabs let you see into fictional character heaven

ahhhh damnit, I almost said cake scarabs but I was like, nooo I think that's not right. Trust your first instincts, Shannon!

• Like 4

ahhhh damnit, I almost said cake scarabs but I was like, nooo I think that's not right. Trust your first instincts, Shannon!

I'm sorry for being so pedantic but I figured PFT would settle for nothing less

Guys, Chewbacca being in Wookie heaven is no longer going to be canonical after ep7 TFA! Thanks to George Lucass,

What does it all mean for the validity of Cake Boss' (CB) tranch induced visions?

• Like 3

all levels should be strictly timed, you are given an elaborate cake you have to make and you look for the parts to build it with

so long as you dont ask for money for it you will probably be safe legally from all parties, and i should know because i am a lawyer graduate of the online wikipedia school of law

• Like 4

If you wanted to make things easier on yourself (not that there's anything easy about game design) you could just mod Mario 64 so he has a chef's hat, change the sound-effects, make all the background music music from the show, and swap in some new character models. Like if you could somehow just put a new face on bowser and call him the pie minister that would be pretty dope. All people want is to see a little Mario with a B on his chef's hat (for Boss!) running around yelling "Cake Boss!" and when he dies, of course, instead of "Mama Mia!" he'll yell "Maron!" or "Pasta Vazoo!"

Plus people mod N64 games all the time and Nintendo doesn't care. Somebody recently modded the game to allow co-op with Luigi.

I have the perfect models for a bug, scarab, scorpion, wolf and R2D2, now I just need to paint them and adjust certain parts to make them look more cakey. Instead of biting off more cake than I can chew, I think I'll just try to make a single 3D level with many things to interact with to explain the backstory and cakelore, and a bunch of enemies to kick or jump on. Basically just something that a dozen or two Earwolf forumers might end up playing, full of CBB references, and maybe actually a short, fun 3D platformer.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, they're perfect and they're really getting my brain's workjuice flowing.

XYwfsYm.jpg

EDIT almost exactly 1 month later (January 21st) because I don't want to bump the thread: It's actually coming together a little bit, and I think I've incorporated almost all of the ideas from this thread. Jacob's soundbite idea for his different expressions was perfect and had to be done, so I hope Scotty Auks doesn't mind me borrowing a few 1-2 second clips. As it stands, I have him saying "cake boss" in 9 different ways and a few other clips ready to be used for certain moments. Greggy's timer idea is used for the quests you are given, so each quest has a specific time so you have to rush to complete it or fail. Right now I have the timers set to 10 minutes so that the time never runs out for me as I test stuff, so I'll make it lower but it won't be ridiculous or annoying, you'll always have enough time to complete the quest without speedrunning it. I have a funny clip of PFT complaining about the process of always having to make the cakes quickly, so I'm hoping to use that whenever he's given a new quest. Because I'm not going too crazy with the idea and making a bunch of levels, I decided to use Must Turd's idea anyways and make Sentient R2D2 Cake a miniboss while The Pie Minister is the final boss. Shannon's idea has become integral to the whole game, because people love collectibles and now there are hidden Cakebug collectibles throughout the game that, in a way, give you the second sight and allow you to metaphysically explore the cakelore with many facts from Cakeboss's CBB appearances. I already have one in the playable version, and all that really happens is you get a glowing effect on the screen and a window pops up that gives you a fact about Cakeboss.

Once I have a version that is playable enough to be shared, I'll post it here.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this