🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 99 — A View To a Kill: LIVE

Because you can't have 94 seconds on most timers. 19:94 would be 20:34.

Although it could be 19.94 minutes (if it's not specifically labeled minutes and seconds).

There have almost ALWAYS been a restaurants in the Eiffel Tower, and it has a long tradition as a fashionable dining destination throughout the twentieth century. Everyone from Picasso to Charlie Chaplin to Hitler ate there. The original restaurant was dismantled in 1981 as part of a major

Best selling point: The restaurant in the Eiffel Tower is to only restaurant in Paris without a view of the Eiffel Tower (eyesore!)

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that the song playing during the scene where Bond crashes the wedding on the boat is - I shit you not - a dixieland version of Duran Duran's "A View To A Kill." Listen closely when Bond jumps off the bridge, and you can totally hear it. Oh, the French and their love of American dixieland jazz covers of British new wave hits!

Also, in the scene where Bond gets his mission briefing at the beginning of the film: microchips in modern toasters?!?

If you listen closely, the Duran Duran melody plays throughout the ENTIRE film. The movie's musical score is LITERALLY just a re-arranged, re-orchestrated version of Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" (AKA "Dance Into the Fire").

LISTEN:

• Like 5

Having the theme worked into the score in bits happens in a lot of Bond movies. I think its Live and Let Die that has like a Jazz/Swing version of that theme in there a few times. And in one of them a janitor is even whistling the theme at some point.

• Like 3

I will continue to insist that Dalton was a great Bond despite Jason's protestations!

I had always heard from people how terrible Timothy Dalton was as Bond, and this may be controversial, but I think he was the best Bond after Connery until Craig. (And I actually liked Pierce Brosnan ok.)

I HEART HATERS

• Like 3

I'm just going to leave this here

Yeah, M asks where Bond is. Cut to this shot. Hard to knock them for that though. It's classic Bond.

Some other things:

M, the head of MI6, doesn't know what an EMP is. He's a major player in England's national security...he should know what that is. Even Bond knows.

On the positive side, the whole sequence with the mine flooding was actually pretty cool. I thought the movie deserved props for that.

• Like 2

After listening to immediately designed this. It stuck out and made me laugh the hardest. Hope it gets posted on the face book page! I love this podcast! I'll be submitting more design quotes in the future.

post-100055-0-45696300-1418430335_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This was amazing, and worth watching this dumpster fire of a movie. I love that it was almost two hours long and they BARELY discussed the last half-hour of the movie. On that note,

OMISSION - During the blimp talk, they didn't mention the funniest blimp-related thing, and possibly the funniest thing overall in the movie, which is that while Tanya Roberts is happily watching after Bond escapes from the mine, the blimp SNEAKS UP ON HER and they grab her and take her up into the air.

I don't think the "Jenny Flex"/genuflects pun is necessarily a blowjob reference, just that, as a woman, she's obviously subservient to men, because it's a James Bond movie. [side note - I looked this actress up on IMDB, and she played Elsa in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, so props for moving up in the world from third henchwoman of a Nazi science baby to top henchwoman of an actual Nazi.]

Regarding "St. John", this is apparently a semi-common old-timey British name, and it really is pronounced that way. Of course, I know this because there was a character on Mad Men a few years ago named St. John Powell, which led to similar bafflement and discussions on the Internet.

• Like 12

OMISSION - During the blimp talk, they didn't mention the funniest blimp-related thing, and possibly the funniest thing overall in the movie, which is that while Tanya Roberts is happily watching after Bond escapes from the mine, the blimp SNEAKS UP ON HER and they grab her and take her up into the air.

I was going to bring this up as well. I was watching with my wife, and she commented on it. She couldn't understand how she couldn't see it. I mean, it IS a pretty big blimp. I was about to make an excuse for the movie (why, I don't know) and say, "Well, I guess blimps are pretty quiet," when, suddenly, the blimp's engines start ROARING! And I was like, "Oh, it is only quiet when it's convenient to the plot." Stupid Ninja blimps...

• Like 1

^ Also what the kids say when people list the best Bond songs and leave out "Skyfall".

• Like 1

I was going to bring this up as well. I was watching with my wife, and she commented on it. She couldn't understand how she couldn't see it. I mean, it IS a pretty big blimp. I was about to make an excuse for the movie (why, I don't know) and say, "Well, I guess blimps are pretty quiet," when, suddenly, the blimp's engines start ROARING! And I was like, "Oh, it is only quiet when it's convenient to the plot." Stupid Ninja blimps...

I can't believe I forgot to mention that in my first post! It sounded as loud as a lawnmower and she has to have James yell at her to look out behind her! I am rolling laughing just thinking about it!

• Like 1

Listening to Matt Gourley slowly lose his faith in this movie's quality was hilariously tragic.

• Like 11

Listening to Matt Gourley slowly lose his faith in this movie's quality was hilariously tragic.

It reminded me of when someone finally starts to come around and admit that they're in an abusive relationship. "A View to a Kill" loves NO ONE.

• Like 4

I'm so glad that Matt and June teamed up to settle the "Wig" vs. "Dye". I needed Wigdar to show up; you guys. It's just a shame that there was no real English Off though.

And also, super fun Q & A this episode! Much better than LOL's. With a lot of smart Bond girl names ("Duet Toumé" is AMAZING).

This was a huge episode loaded with hilarious moments. Fantastic!

• Like 2

Maybe it's my Catholic school education, but when I heard "Jenny Flecks," I thought "genuflects," not that that makes any more sense.

I heard it that way too! I was wondering if there was some sort of Catholic connection I was missing.