๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
agata

Episode 186 โ€” Science Communication

Tig, Kyle, and David start off with a discussion about the holiday season. Then, the lovely Dr. Crystal Dilworth from Fail Lab is back in the hatch to edutain about the relationship between science and food, marijuana, relationships, communication, and cancer.

Good episode despite the relative lack of nonsense.

Yeah, this is a good one for you nerds who really listen to this podcast to hear things about science. ;)

Loved it but got a little bummed out that talking about her relationship status seemed so important at one point.

Not related to this episode but I was listening to Stern this morning (which I do sporadically) and during a segment where Benjy was interviewing Howard someone was in studio in character as Perez Hilton and I think it may have been Kyle. I remember a few months back he mentioned how he was calling in for a segment at some point so I thought it could be possible. The inflection in the voice reminded me of Kyle's Craig so I was just curious if anyone could confirm or deny.

The inflection in the voice reminded me of Kyle's Craig so I was just curious if anyone could confirm or deny.

vvb3bZa.png

• Like 1

Kyle was also on Seth Myers last night doing stand-up. The clip is on the NBC site if anyone cares to find it (or just check Kyle's tweets).

One factoid I feel compelled to throw in: The word "Xmas" was never intended to be an "x"ing out of the "Christ" in Christmas. That's something that the paranoid xenophobic "There's a war against Christmas!!!!" crowd made up to rationalize their fears of people who aren't Christian. Actually, "Xmas" comes from the Greek word for Christ, which starts with the Greek letter chi, which is represented in our alphabet as an X. "Xmas" was a innocent shorthand version of "Christmas" dating back to the 1500s, when the few people who could write English always also knew Greek. See the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

ย 

Another tangential fact: Our founding fathers likely did not celebrate Christmas at all. Protestants in general, particularly Puritans, were adamantly against Christmas. When Protestant Oliver Cromwell overthrew the Catholic monarchy in Britain in 1649, he banned all Christmas celebrations. Catholics revolted violently, so it didn't go well. But still, the Protestants who colonized the United States had no interest in any celebration of mass, including Christ's mass. It wasn't until the late 1800s that Christmas began to overtake the United States. And that had a lot to do with the British Queen Victoria's husband, Albert, who was of German descent and brought the Christmas tree into fashion, among other things. German immigrants were settling into the United States in huge numbers, so they helped entrench the traditions.

• Like 1

Ah ok thanks for the confirm. I checked his Twitter right after his appearance and he hadn't posted that yet. And yea his Seth Meyers performance was very funny and the crowd loved it.

Ah ok thanks for the confirm. I checked his Twitter right after his appearance and he hadn't posted that yet. And yea his Seth Meyers performance was very funny and the crowd loved it.

ย 

Yes! I don't usually (i.e. ever, unless there's an interviewee I really want to see) watch the show, so I don't know what the crowds are usually like, but I was kind of taken aback by the one applause break.

Since Kyle inexplicably seems averse to plugging his own stuff, check out his album, Craig's All Star, Rockin' Christmas, You Guys! (iTunes ยท Amazon ยท CD)

ย 

The hook from "Christmas is The Best" is stuck in my head for most of the year, and Kyle has written some really heart-warming holiday tunes.

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0Qsf0g1UY

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this