🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 100 — Junior

The difference being Beatie was born a woman (only later transitioning to a male) and therefore had a uterus that could carry & nurture a baby in the first place.

I'm amazed that anyone would've heard of this "newsworthy" phenomenon (which frankly I found insulting, it was sensationalism and treated him like a freakshow.. also would bet a million dollars newscasts were playing clips from "Junior" in their coverage of the story lol) and just accepted the story as-is. "Oh, a man is pregnant and having a baby? The wonders of science!"

• Like 1

The entire time I was listening to this I was picturing Lea Thompson instead of Emma Thompson. It wasn't until the very end when they mentioned Love, Actually, which made me realize my mistake.

Speaking of, that movie should get covered here cause its so cheesy and not as romantic as it thinks it is. >:|

Alan Rickman should've fucked that secretary!

I'm sure this is probably too late -- I just finished the podcast -- but a fetus can actually grow without a uterus. It's really rare but it's called an abdominal ectopic pregnancy. One of the more strange things I remember from med school.

Usually the placenta will survive if it can attach to tissue with a high blood supply, like the liver. If you google illustrations of abdominal ectopic by a medical illustrator named Netter, you can see what it would look like.

How many times did Jason say "raw dog" in this episode?

ALL of the times.

I'd like to right now suggest a "raw dog" montage for the next Howdies!

• Like 1

I teach anatomy and physiology at a university, so I was fascinated with the movie Junior. I spoke with our resident embryologists and yes folks - this pregnancy was possible, given perfect implantation in the peritoneal (abdominal) cavity and precisely timed hormone supplementation (and obviously a C-section). However rare, an egg can implant in the wall of the abdomen just like the wall of the uterus, and the placenta will grow there as well. This is from the doc I work with:

"Hormones from the trophoblast cells stimulate impacted tissue to develop vascular and glandular tissue. The fallopian tube isn't vascular enough (or stetchy enough) to produce a viable placenta for long enough. The peritoneal membrane, however, can produce a viable placenta. Peritoneal pregnancies are viable; the biggest danger is if implantation occurs on the surface of an organ such as the kidneys and draws blood flow away from that organ. Otherwise, I believe that peritoneal pregnancies can go to term. Their placenta will even produce all of the pregnancy hormones to stimulate breast development, uterine contractions, and dilation of the birth canal."

To which I replied - "So the movie Junior could actually be real?"

"Yes. If the male were given hormone supplements, that could happen. Delivery would be Caesarian, so successful delivery would not be contingent on Arnold pushing through the contractions.

There was an online blog a few years ago about a male who went through this procedure and had a baby. It was never substantiated, so no idea if it's true or not.

So I guess ethics and general freakiness are the only things standing in our way of male pregnancies? :)

• Like 1

Late to the game, but the honeydew melon_ when you cut one in half it resembles lady bits, hence the erection. because ya know, that's an instant thing

This is pretty late but I just started listening to HDTGM and after watching Junior I was blown away that the most obvious (and sensical) ending to this movie didn't occur:

Pamela Reed's baby turns out to actually be Danny Devito's

• Danny did get Pamela pregnant, but their relationship was too strained at this point, so she lied and said that she was knocked up by a member of Aerosmith
  • When she sees that Danny is seriously investigating the claim that it's a member of Aerosmith she changes her story to be one that's a lot less easy to fact-check
  • Over the course of time she falls back in love with Danny and sees that he'll be a caring father
  • The baby is clearly born early, implying that Pamela lied about when the pregnancy occurred
  • Pamela and Danny had had sex within the proper timeframe (and apparently without a condom -> RAW DOGGIN IT)

What makes this ending even better is that it leads to the following:

1. Pamela Reed's baby therefore has Danny Devito's DNA

2. Arnold's baby has Arnold's DNA (Duh)

3. Baby Danny and baby Arnold are born on the same day

TWINS

Well over a year late but, I think Monty Python said it best with "Where's the foetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"