🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 6 — The Skip Hardaway Show

Merry Christmas and welcome to another edition of The Skip Hardaway Show with Skip Hardaway (Brian Shortall)! This week Skip is joined by the soft spoken and very observant Darla Sherles. Skip and Darla talk about her hometown, being in the jury for a murder case in her neighborhood, and surfing the net. Then, Traci Reardon drops by the show to offer advice on dinner parties and more to Twitter followers in her recurring segment, “Help Me, Rhonda.”

I worry Traci is making a mistake by sticking 'Help Me, Rhonda' into a variety of random unconnected podcasts. There's very little rhyme or reason as to where you can hear it every week. I've been lucky and found all the odd-ball shows she's put it on so far but each week it's like a scavenger hunt!

• Like 5

Yeah, this one really didn't work for me. I love Traci, but I don't think she needs to be on every episode.

• Like 1

i replayed the part where he changes his voice to his baseball voice at the beginning maybe 6 times.. it is so damn funny.

• Like 2

"How much?" on the front.

"Who knows?" on the back.

Agreed that this wasn't the strongest episode. My biggest problem was that I didn't really get the premise. "Skip" mentioned that he hosted a sports talk radio show, then there was a format change imposed on him...but I think at one point he did say it was a podcast rather than just keeping the idea that it was still talk radio. Maybe that was his coded way of saying he was fired, and this was what he was doing instead? But either way, what was the (intended) format and why was this person picked as a guest? Ultimately it just felt like really well-performed improv that was only occasionally funny, which I think is fine once in a while.

• Like 1

Ultimately it just felt like really well-performed improv that was only occasionally funny, which I think is fine once in a while.

To be fair "really well-performed improv" is still just a couple of people making shit up. Presumably their end goal would be to create something humorous but often times it's just rambling about some straight up nonsense. Not referring to this episode in particular or Lapkus, just improv in general.

I worry Traci is making a mistake by sticking 'Help Me, Rhonda' into a variety of random unconnected podcasts. There's very little rhyme or reason as to where you can hear it every week. I've been lucky and found all the odd-ball shows she's put it on so far but each week it's like a scavenger hunt!

I've actually given this a lot of thought, probably more than I should. While one interpretation is Reardon does HMR on a wide variety of shows in one continuity, but really given that she's only one person and on each individual show she acts like she always does the segment on that show and makes no references to the others, that seems unlikely.

What I think is ACTUALLY going on is With Special Guest is a multiverse, with each episode occurring within a separate parallel universe, with the one shared element that in each universe there is a podcast on which that universe's Traci Reardon does the HMR segment.

Which, if you think about it, makes Reardon the in-continuity lynchpin of the whole series the same way Lapkus is out-of-continuity...

• Like 2

When I originally heard that Ms. Lapkus was doing a podcast, I assumed it was just going to be Traci Reardon. Personally I'm a huge fan of her humor and her canon. I know a lot of you fancy city folk with your two legs and your cellphones may not care for the young Baskin Robbins employee, but gosh darn-it I am a huge fan and the constant inclusion of Reardon's segment has a been a huge boon to me enjoyment of this serious.

I do agree that Skip Hardaway was extremely Leykis-y, but was much easier on the ears than Adomian's version for me.

Overall, a very fun episode! I was loudly snickering throughout!

• Like 1

I'm not so sure the premise needs to be any more established than something like 'ex-sports broadcaster' - if the 1st ten minutes was spent establishing some convoluted backstory for every host, I imagine it'd raise a lot more complaints...

Anyway, I thought this one wa great - I'm not saying anything, just that I thought it was really funny and there was good chemistry, okay?

• Like 6

I'm not so sure the premise needs to be any more established than something like 'ex-sports broadcaster' - if the 1st ten minutes was spent establishing some convoluted backstory for every host, I imagine it'd raise a lot more complaints...

Fair enough. I actually think that ONLY saying that would have been better, and that what he did say just convoluted it. With the other episodes, the premise was either pretty much inherent, or was easily established with a very brief intro.

When I originally heard that Ms. Lapkus was doing a podcast, I assumed it was just going to be Traci Reardon. Personally I'm a huge fan of her humor and her canon. I know a lot of you fancy city folk with your two legs and your cellphones may not care for the young Baskin Robbins employee, but gosh darn-it I am a huge fan and the constant inclusion of Reardon's segment has a been a huge boon to me enjoyment of this serious.

I do agree that Skip Hardaway was extremely Leykis-y, but was much easier on the ears than Adomian's version for me.

Overall, a very fun episode! I was loudly snickering throughout!

Don't get me wrong, I love Twaci, but I don't want her to become Lapkus's Fernando or Wayne Campbell.

I love this character. Starting out whispering "blacks" like a secretive white racist will do, then just unnecessarily whispering random words all over the place.

• Like 4

What a magnificent portrayal of 2 American tragedies. The whole Leykis thing might just be 'radio guy' and in this case something on the AM dial. When Shortall illustrated a Little League game for about one second I was amazed.

A really dense performance. Bravo!

• Like 1

I love this character. Starting out whispering "blacks" like a secretive white racist will do, then just unnecessarily whispering random words all over the place.

In college I worked in a mail-room. There was an older black man who worked there and I didn't know his name. I asked another super old worker who he was. It went like this.

"I never actually met him."

"Him who?"

"The uh...the older guy."

"Older than me?"

"I don't know...the uh....the...black guy?" (whispered it for some stupid reason)

The other man stared at me for a minute and then said, "Why did you whisper? Do you think he might overhear you? Do you think he doesn't know he's black? Is it a big secret? He knows he's black Luke."

Never felt more shamed in my life.

• Like 3

agree with others here, not the strongest ep but i stayed with it. She does do Reardon a lot BUT this has been the only podcast of late she has appeared on and I believe she was only on for an entire show for the first episode?I didn't really get a feel for the host aspect, I thought he was going to be more sports talk related attempting a different format but whatever! Still some funny moments.

Sign in to follow this