🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
VajayjayLeno

Is there a best introductory episode to CBB?

For example, if I want to get someone into Doctor Who, I show them Blink. It hits all the right notes: it's very good, it's very Doctor Who-y, but it stands alone without any previous knowledge of mythology or characters required. Similarly, the best introductory episode of CBB shouldn't be steeped in character mythology, should be representative of the show, and should be good but accessible.

I like to recommend ep 78 with Doug Benson and John Gemberling, I have a soft spot because it was one of the first episodes I heard and the one that really got the CBB hooks in me. I like it because it's got a great 1st guest, Doug Benson who not only is a pretty well known alt comedy/podcast personality (I listened because I knew him from Doug Loves Movies the first podcast I ever knew existed) but he also has a great rapport and history with Scott. then Gemberling's charac is not only hilarious but just dirty and weird enough that it gives a good idea of what goes on with the podcast without being so filthy it scares more squeamish people off (for example, as much as I love James Adomian there are few episodes of his i'd spring on the uninitiated). there's alot of eps that fit this criteria in my opinion that's just the first that popped into my head.

Tell them to wait until Thursday when they can download the Best Of ep #1 and hear PFT curse at them when Scott says "If this is your first time listening..."

• Like 2

I second the Poehler/Mantzoukas/Adomian one, and the Lizzy Caplan/Kroll/Mulaney one right around it too, those are what got me into it hardcore. After that, find a Ben Schwartz/Horatio episode, and then a PFT episode and a Andy Daly episode, any episode that Jon Gabrus has done in the last year and a half, he's always gold. There are some guests that you will always get laughs with, no matter how great or boring the other guests may be

• Like 1

I've actually put too much quite a bit of thought into this question, as recommending this show to friends always feels a bit dicey since there's probably over 400 hours of material to get through at this point. To this end, I compiled a list of all the episodes that I considered creative peaks for CBB and yet could still be enjoyed without previous knowledge of characters and mythology...and still ended up with a list that was 60 episodes long.

Since giving a friend (and podcast newbie) 60+ hours of stuff to listen to seemed rather like giving homework, I painfully cut the list down to the 10 episodes that I feel best give a sense of CBB's changing tone over the years and serve as a primer on almost all of its major players and characters. Long story long, here's what I came up with:

14- An Old Fashioned Dinner (Scott has talked about how the CBB format was basically born in this episode, and it's still one of the show's best guest lineups ever)

34- Have a Merry Christmas... (All-star guests and characters, the immortal Acting Off)

85- That's One Way of Doing It (Yes, another Christmas episode, but it's kind of a watershed episode for everything and everyone that made the CDR days as great as the were)

120- Farts and Procreation (One of the flat-out funniest podcast episodes ever in my book, though I wouldn't recommend having a friend start with this one as it's rather inscrutable to newcomers)

150- Time Bobby (I don't need to explain this one, right?)

176- New No-Nos (Maybe the best Wompler episode ever; also, the titular No-Nos, which is just pure CBB at its best in my opinion)

183- Return to Suicide House (Insane fun from beginning to end, especially the 20-person Freestyle Rap that closes it out)

218- The 4th Anniversary Extravaganza! (Another all-star episode, with the Aukerman-Wompler-Wain-Reardon-The Janitor love pentagon to tie it all together)

222- A Peanut in the Rain (Had to include a Gilly-Garry Marshall ep, as it's probably the best and most consistent long-running story CBB has ever done; it also doesn't hurt that this one is actually watchable on Youtube)

260- Tiny Sandwich Story (Showcases what a huge contribution Brendon Small and Jon Gabrus have provided the show since joining the recurring roster in late 2013)

These aren't necessarily my all-time favorite episodes (though they're all up there), but I think anyone who listened to these would be suitably prepared for the week-to-week insanity that is Comedy Bang! Bang!

Sign in to follow this