🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 328 — Beatle Heaven

You misunderstood, I said that referring to the podcast as a whole, not just this episode. I'm not trying to be a spoiled fan, but I just feel like having musicians on comedy podcast is not why anyone listens to the show, yet it's becoming an increasingly more common thing on CBB. This is already a pretty specific somewhat niche comedy podcast, that I am a huge fan of. But when you bring in a musician , it narrows that niche even more so. Which I guess leaves fans like me less inclined to enjoy the podcast.

Yeah no I think you misunderstood. He's saying you can dislike the musical episodes. That shouldn't be ruining the non-musical ones for you. Its not like the musical ones are taking over. You're welcome to express your feelings, I think we're just reminding you they probably won't impact the direction the podcast takes any. :)

• Like 3

so your feelings are valid but mine arn't? I feel your feelings are dumb

Difference is I was actually giving an opinion, you were mocking me.

Yeah no I think you misunderstood. He's saying you can dislike the musical episodes. That shouldn't be ruining the non-musical ones for you. Its not like the musical ones are taking over. You're welcome to express your feelings, I think we're just reminding you they probably won't impact the direction the podcast takes any. :)/>

Fair enough, and just to clarify I'm fully aware of how unimportant my opinions are.

• Like 1

Difference is I was actually giving an opinion, you were mocking me.

the fact that you're even bothering to respond to my mocking makes me want to mock you even more.

• Like 2

Fair enough, and just to clarify I'm fully aware of how unimportant my opinions are.

The way I see it, muuuusical guests appear on 1 out of every 30 or so episodes, which leaves you the remaining 29 out of 30 to enjoy. There are unquestionably episodes of CBB that I have enjoyed less than others, but expressing my displeasure aloud — especially in a forum frequented by both the host and the occasional guest — feels needlessly insulting to the people who otherwise provide such reliable entertainment.

Given the choice between shitting on someone's hard work or remaining silent, I always try to choose the latter.

• Like 13

the fact that you're even bothering to respond to my mocking makes me want to mock you even more.

Lay off, maybe?

• Like 6

You misunderstood, I said that referring to the podcast as a whole, not just this episode. I'm not trying to be a spoiled fan, but I just feel like having musicians on comedy podcast is not why anyone listens to the show, yet it's becoming an increasingly more common thing on CBB. This is already a pretty specific somewhat niche comedy podcast, that I am a huge fan of. But when you bring in a musician , it narrows that niche even more so. Which I guess leaves fans like me less inclined to enjoy the podcast.

see it causes me to check out some of their music if I don't know it, sometimes I really enjoy a song they play live and then listen to it on spotify. Also, usually the musicians are funny enough that they play along with the madness in an entertaining way, so you get to leave with "oh wow that guy from _________ is pretty funny, nice guy". At its core, this is a talk show... with guests, that the host talks to... what don't you understand?

• Like 1

Lay off, maybe?

fair enough, i'm in a bit of a mood today. i think it's turned down my being an asshole filter. i'll defer to more mature voices for now.

The way I see it, muuuusical guests appear on 1 out of every 30 or so episodes, which leaves you the remaining 29 out of 30 to enjoy. There are unquestionably episodes of CBB that I have enjoyed less than others, but expressing my displeasure aloud — especially in a forum frequented by both the host and the occasional guest — feels needlessly insulting to the people who otherwise provide such reliable entertainment.

Given the choice between shitting on someone's hard work or remaining silent, I always try to choose the latter.

For every music episode previous I've done the same, and now I realize I probably should have continued with that line of thinking. But the only reason I didn't really think of it as shitting on the show is because I'm saying the show doesn't need MUSICAL GUESTS in order to be entertaing or worth while. Having Scott, Anders, and Mike would have been more than enough, to institute a hilarious show, and I just don't think the music adds to that as much as it takes away from it.

I haven't listened to this episode but The Beatles are a really terrible band and I hope they're not the guests

• Like 13

Having Scott, Anders, and Mike would have been more than enough, to institute a hilarious show, and I just don't think the music adds to that as much as it takes away from it.

This may be true, but Scott only seems to book musicians he really enjoys, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

• Like 1

Sorry for being opinionated. To me, a song that is just a pretty melody is like a painting of flowers. I like American Football, but I think Tim's writing is by far the greatest thing to come out of that whole group of musicians, and yes, I am taking into account how amazing of a guitarist Victor Villarreal is. But yes, it is just an opinion. Still, bring on Tim Kinsella!

Please don't conflate being unnecessarily rude with being opinionated.

It's really not that hard to say "I like his older brother" without slamming this guy at the same time.

Having an opinion doesn't require you to share it in a crappy way.

• Like 2

First they came for the Tim Heideckers, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Tim Heidecker.

Then they came for the Solo Bolos, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Solo Bolo.

Then they came for the Muuusical Guests, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Muuusical Guest.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Zip zoop zap, Jello puddin'.

• Like 9

For every music episode previous I've done the same, and now I realize I probably should have continued with that line of thinking. But the only reason I didn't really think of it as shitting on the show is because I'm saying the show doesn't need MUSICAL GUESTS in order to be entertaing or worth while. Having Scott, Anders, and Mike would have been more than enough, to institute a hilarious show, and I just don't think the music adds to that as much as it takes away from it.

Scott definitely didn't book any of the bands because he felt the show needed it. He did it because he wanted to and the show, being released for free, might as well occasionally let him book someone he just wants to talk to.

Sidebar:

I will always remember the time I baked cookies for a small class in University once. One of the girls whined and told me I should make soft cookies because they're way better than hard cookies. I still think of that girl as being an a-hole, because that was a really a-holish thing to say.

Not sure what just brought up that memory...

• Like 2

Scott definitely didn't book any of the bands because he felt the show needed it. He did it because he wanted to and the show, being released for free, might as well occasionally let him book someone he just wants to talk to.

Sidebar:

I will always remember the time I baked cookies for a small class in University once. One of the girls whined and told me I should make soft cookies because they're way better than hard cookies. I still think of that girl as being an a-hole, because that was a really a-holish thing to say.

Not sure what just brought up that memory...

It would be more like if you baked those cookies every week and she always said they were the best cookies she's ever had. Then one week you show up with a particularly hard batch of cookies. Message still received though.

First of all, stop all these weird arguing posts. I thought this was the Huffington Post!

This was a fantastic episode and Mike Hanford was hilarious. Def his best CBB performance yet. I have a conspiracy theory about this ep....

Seems like Hanford was really trying to lead Scott in the direction that he was actually Ringo Starr, and not John Lennon. Scott was purposely not biting, and stretched out the show to put Hanford on the spot.

• Like 3

The best bad John Lennon impression ever! I'd love Mike to be joined by three other people doing great bad Liverpudlian accents as the rest of the Beatles.

American Football were game and Anders was funny too, so I would definitely give this episode a C+ and probably put it in my top 2 episodes of the year.

• Like 4

Please don't conflate being unnecessarily rude with being opinionated.

It's really not that hard to say "I like his older brother" without slamming this guy at the same time.

Having an opinion doesn't require you to share it in a crappy way.

Man, I was already apologetic for this, no need to make me feel like an extra dick. Also, I don't think I was slamming him... just because I think someone is more talented than another person doesn't mean that I don't think the original is super talented. Granted, I worded it wrong, but I put Tim Kinsella light years above most people that I find super talented.

Expected the benefit for picking the vomit-every-day ability would be being able to fly whenever you wanted since nobody asked.

• Like 1

I thought this was the Huffington Post!

"I've heard of Huffington Post, but Huffing About Posts? No thank you."

Seems like Hanford was really trying to lead Scott in the direction that he was actually Ringo Starr, and not John Lennon. Scott was purposely not biting, and stretched out the show to put Hanford on the spot.

I didn't catch that vibe (though you may be right), but I did love how they were shitting on the Birthday Boys while he was supposed to be quiet / before his character was introduced.

• Like 10

long time listener, first time poster, just had to jump in and say that i was at american football that night and was absolutely devastated when I saw that cbb had happened just hours previous. i had no idea.

anyways i thought the episode was great and it really softened the blow of missing the live show. hanford is hysterical and i have a big dumb crush on him!

• Like 1

The definition of Emo seemed to change quite a bit over time. When I first heard of it, it referred to bands like The Get Up the Kids and Saves the Day (although they weren't even the originators) but it seemed to generally describe bands usually made of kinda nerdy looking guys doing a more melodic style of punk about more personal, emotional topics rather than political ones.

Then it transitioned into this horrible teenage angst glam rock thing that was about anger and how nobody understands my pain man bands like Fallout Boy or My Chemical Romance.

I think I've seen a slight revival of the original kind of emo lately with bands like Modern Baseball, who I'd imagine fans of American Football might like. What an odd sentence.

Oh and I enjoyed the episode.

• Like 1

The definition of Emo seemed to change quite a bit over time. When I first heard of it, it referred to bands like The Get Up the Kids and Saves the Day (although they weren't even the originators) but it seemed to generally describe bands usually made of kinda nerdy looking guys doing a more melodic style of punk about more personal, emotional topics rather than political ones.

Then it transitioned into this horrible teenage angst glam rock thing that was about anger and how nobody understands my pain man bands like Fallout Boy or My Chemical Romance.

I think I've seen a slight revival of the original kind of emo lately with bands like Modern Baseball, who I'd imagine fans of American Football might like. What an odd sentence.

Oh and I enjoyed the episode.

I think it's good to look at Emo like Ska... in waves. 1st wave being things like Rites of Spring and Embrace, 2nd wave starting with bands like Cap'n Jazz and Braid and ending with Saves the Day and the Get Up Kids transitioning into the third wave, which is stuff like Fallout Boy or My Chemical Romance. I love the first two waves, but am not a fan of the 3rd wave, so maybe this is just a way for me to be snobby and differientiate.

• Like 3

I always just kinda liked American Football but that first acoustic number was really really good. Will have to revisit the band. And Mike Hanford is one of the funniest people in the world.

• Like 1