🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 328 — Beatle Heaven

For some reason Hanford's Lennon is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Just everything he said.

SCOTT: Paul McCartney played bass?

LENNON: He played the bass guitah

• Like 1

/begin rant

Bitching about musical episodes in this forum is like someone giving you home made ice cream every week and then one week they put a cherry on top of the ice cream but you don't like cherries. So instead of doing the normal thing and just ignoring the cherry and not eating it, you complain about how they put that cherry on the ice cream that they worked hard to make for you and then going to an "Ice Cream with Cherries on Top" convention and telling everyone there about how you don't like cherries on top of your ice cream. Be a grown human, ignore the cherry or just don't eat the ice cream at all.

Honestly, if you aren't into it, just skip past the music. You can do that. It's SO easy. I've done it. It's totally fine and no one else needs to know! It can be your little secret!!

or

You could listen. I remember listening to the Sarah Silverman/Nick Kroll/Dan Mangan episode way back when. I had no idea who Dan Mangan was prior to starting the show. I finished the episode and immediately went to iTunes and bought all of his music available. Oh Fortune is now one of my favorite albums of all time and I have Scott and CBB to thank for that.

Comedy Bang Bang and to that extent, Earwolf, is a fucking gift. You get top quality entertainment podcasts every week for FREE. You don't have to like an episode, you don't have to like a guest, you don't have to like a band booked for a music episode, you don't have to like music episodes at all but for fuck's sake, keep it to yourself or at least be constructive in your criticisms.

/end rant

Anyway. Great ep. Hanford doing the worst, least knowledgeable Lennon impression was killing me. Never heard of American Football before but they sounded pretty good!

• Like 3

Lots of words but I agree although I don't think people really are as against music as they come across through the medium of massage-bored.

Hanford is basically the only salveable, talented part of Birthday Boys. Don't know why that show existed. Did anyone here enjoy it?

Hanford is basically the only salveable, talented part of Birthday Boys. Don't know why that show existed. Did anyone here enjoy it?

Yeah. I loved it.

• Like 3

Me too. I know some of the other guys can get lost in the mix, but Mitchell and Tim stand out pretty well too.

• Like 3

Yes, a lot.

• Like 2

I definitely enjoyed pieces but there were always sketches in an episode that I thought were flat or just not worth the time at all. I think hanford was a part of most of the bits I enjoyed, but Tim Kalpakis I think is the best of the bunch, or maybe has the most possibility for widespread appeal, getting roles outside their crew.

Only seen like 2 of season 2, but some of my faves from season 1 were the bit about strippers, the beer company, the bit about how all modern music came from these guys singing about grasshoppers on their sleeves, the doc about garages, "keepin the beat", "helpful tips", I found a lot of highlights in season 1 I guess

• Like 1

It's the best sketch show on television. If you haven't checked out season 2 I would highly recommend it. It's very smart...and very funny.

• Like 3

I enjoyed Season 1 pretty thoroughly but Season 2 is definitely a step up. I think there was only one episode that was a little flat for me, I think it was "Love Date Hump". However I only watched it once so maybe I would like it better after revisiting.

I find these musician based episodes of CBB really hard to get into. I listen to this show because I adore Scott and his guests comedy. I'm not sure when ones taste in music became such an important factor in liking this podcast.

had you heard of the band before this ep? serious question

Wow, this episode gives me hope, since Mike Kinsella (American Football) was on CBB maybe his way more talented brother Tim (Cap'n Jazz, Owls, Joan of Arc) could be on. I would love if one of my favorite songwriters ever was on CBB.

Twice in one thread? Really? Fun fact: It's physically possible to compliment someone without shitting on their friends.

• Like 3

I didn't know American Football was a band before listening to this so I just thought it was a comedian playing the character of "American Football" :/

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand how you could think that American Football's performances on this episode weren't at least "fine".

I'm sad that TBB got cancelled (I mean that the guys resigned and forced IFC to cancel the show), but maybe that means John Lennon can become the new band leader of CBB?

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that Hanford wasn't wearing shoes in that video? I've heard of "Paul is dead", but "JOHN is dead"?

• Like 1