🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 170 — Bring Your Dad In Day

Andy Daly, Pamela Murphy, and Joel Spence teach us about manners and the proper way to introduce yourself on this week’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! You’ll also hear as they participate in Bring Your Dad In Day, confront a grandfather who loves Gunsmoke, and decide what will the new Hollywood sign look like. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

• Like 1

Awesome ep. To paraphrase Matt Walsh from the last episode, Daly hit a walk-off grand slam with that closing line. Also, Pam's little kid voice in the boomerang/golf scene was tremendous.

• Like 2

Besser's Mexican accent sounded like Peter Lorre, and Pam's sounded like Natasha from Boris and Natasha. It was a real Justice League of banditos.

• Like 7

So glad to hear Andy Daly on stuff again. It's been too long. This whole crew was great, too, though.

• Like 2

I'm a relatively new listener to Improv4humans, so I've been going back and listening to all the old episodes, simultaneously working my way up from episode 1 but also listening to the new episodes as they come out. So it’s funny that I just listened to episode #76 yesterday, where one of the suggestions was also ‘assassin’. Andy Secunda had a story about playing a game of ‘Assassins’ around New York, where he waited for hours outside his target’s apartment block waiting for him to come home so he could take him out. I thought it would be crazy if both he and Joel Spence had been playing in the same game and then ended up on different episodes of the same podcast to tell similar stories…. But alas, I went back and re-listened to that episode and Andy mentions the game he played in was in the last few years (since he got married) and the game Joel played in was in the early 90’s. Is there some sort of crazy ‘Assassins’ craze that I’m not aware of? Because it sure does sound like a fun game (kind of like D&D/LARPing set in the modern era mixed with a scavenger hunt).

Apparently if you want to be a guest on the best podcast in the universe, you should take your games very seriously.

Love the podcast, and Andy Daly always cracks me up. I’m hard pressed deciding which of the latest bunch of episodes is my favourite, they’ve all been really funny!

• Like 7

Andy Secunda had a story about playing a game of ‘Assassins’ around New York, where he waited for hours outside his target’s apartment block waiting for him to come home so he could take him out. I thought it would be crazy if both he and Joel Spence had been playing in the same game and then ended up on different episodes of the same podcast to tell similar stories…. But alas, I went back and re-listened to that episode and Andy mentions the game he played in was in the last few years (since he got married) and the game Joel played in was in the early 90’s. Is there some sort of crazy ‘Assassins’ craze that I’m not aware of? Because it sure does sound like a fun game (kind of like D&D/LARPing set in the modern era mixed with a scavenger hunt).

I remember Assassins being a thing at my college in the early 2000s. Wasn't aware it was such a longtime tradition. I think they just threw balled up socks at people though? Or maybe just tagged them? Definitely no nerf guns or anything weapony. Either way I was (in my mind) too cool for that shit and did not participate.

Thanks for using my suggestion guys! I'll have to tell our new lead singer Chris Martin that you mentioned our band!

• Like 3

Can't help but notice the Queen entered to the French national anthem :D

• Like 3

I remember Assassins being a thing at my college in the early 2000s. Wasn't aware it was such a longtime tradition. I think they just threw balled up socks at people though? Or maybe just tagged them? Definitely no nerf guns or anything weapony. Either way I was (in my mind) too cool for that shit and did not participate.

People still do this around college campuses, with nerf guns. In my experience, as Joel said in this episode, it seems to mostly be theater kids.

The boomerang and the bandito scenes were top-notch. Pam Murphy was so good in this episode.

I liked how Matt's character in the boomerang scene kind of spilled over into the narrator when he gave Pam's character a bit of a knock by calling her a "brown-nosing little girl" as the narrator. It felt like Matt's character's frustration with her took over Matt's own POV.

I also liked how Matt pretty clearly had no personal interest in the Loot Crate but he went on a little journey trying to figure out how to sell it and get other people excited about it.

Some history on the "why don't we assassinate people," since a series of executive orders by Ford, Carter, and finalized in pretty much its current form by Reagan in 1981 (EO 12333) it has been the official US military/intelligence policy that "No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination." Of course, in modern times the military role of "assassination" is largely filled by the newspeak of "targeted killing," the only difference is instead of sending someone to shoot the guy you want to kill directly you send a drone to drop a bomb on him, or whatever innocent civilians happen to be where you last thought he was...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this