🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 61 — The Year in Movies (2015)

In the last two weeks, the internet was blessed with new trailers for both 'Ant-Man' and 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'. Frames were analyzed, Hulks were busted, and lids were flipped. For millions of people, no international tragedies or disasters could compare with the latest news from Marvel's explosion-dense Verse. And we're not even getting into the shrieking excitement that already surrounds the latest Star Wars movie.

As crazy as it seems, reports indicate that there are perhaps hundreds of movies coming out this year that don't feature Stan Lee cameos or Jedi. Perhaps this year's 'Edge of Tomorrow' is hiding somewhere and we can't see it through the fog of discussion surrounding hilted lightsabers. The big blockbusters of the year have a way of drowning out everything else, but that doesn't mean there aren't filmmakers doing some seriously cool things in 2015.

This week, Cracked editor-in-chief Jack O'Brien is joined by Alisha Grauso from Moviepilot.com, Drew McWeeny from HitFix.com, and Scott Mendelson from Forbes.com to discuss some of the box office and filmmaking trends that we're moving towards in 2015. They'll cover the year's most anticipated movies that AREN'T sequels or comic book movies, and that don't involve so much as a single dinosaur. Crazy, we know.

'Pixels' sounded like an interesting movie, so I decided to learn more. I found out that it also stars Adam Sandler and Kevin James. Its probably going to make $500M and I'm just going to be left, once again, sitting here wondering what the fuck is happening in this world around me.

I watched the extended edition of LotR: FotR in the autumn of 2002 at a small gathering of friends at which Alisha Grauso was present. She spent the entire movie explaining the plot of the book and movie to me, despite my repeated reminders to her that I had both read the book and seen the movie. This is my most vivid memory of Alisha from when we went to college together.

Also, is there any way Cracked could put a note in their RSS feed when an article links to a video? That'd be greeeeat.

Not that there aren't several reasons to see Agent Carter as trying new things, but one thing that excited me about it is that the two main characters are british and played by british people. It's incredibly common for british actors to play americans when they star in TV shows, and sometimes it's for no reason at all; there's nothing about the character's part in the show that requires they be american. It's really just a pet peeve and I assumed it had something to do with american audiences identifying with the characters, and it's nice to see this show not doing that.

You keep saying this but it's not taboo for a black man to kiss a blond white woman. It's taboo for black men to kiss black women. Think of the last time Denzel starred next to a black woman and you can understand why he didn't want to kiss. Equalizer had no black women at all in Boston.

Whenever there is a conversation, why are women of color always left out. Why does no one ever notice their absence.

Aside from the fact that Black Panther and Captain Marvel look like token leads.