🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GaryMSarli

Hit Points and Leveling Up

Hi, guys!

You might remember me from episode #100, when I tweeted Blaine to remind him that you hadn't leveled up in a while. Since you seemed to have some trouble remembering what the hell might be on your character sheets, I thought I'd try to dig up some answers for you.

Whichever one of you finds this first (Dan?), please make sure everyone else sees the stuff for their characters, too. :)

[EDIT: Added some detail so you wouldn't have to look up THAC0 and saving throws, clarified a few options, and did some formatting to make this a bit easier to read.]

HIT POINTS

I went back to look up your hit points from previous episodes where you leveled up (went from 1st to 3rd in #88, 3rd to 4th in #101, and 4th to 5th in #109).

Your hit point records aren't 100% complete -- you guys never announced how many hit points you got at 4th level in episode 101 -- but this should help you guys get your character sheets updated.

Lyra:

• starting hp: 4
  • 2nd & 3rd: +1, +3
  • 4th: ? (+1d6)
  • 5th: +2
  • new total: 10 + 1d6 hp

Dag:

• starting hp: 10
  • 2nd & 3rd: +6, +7
  • 4th: ? (+1d10)
  • 5th: +10
  • new total: 33 + 1d10 hp

Houg:

• starting hp: 1
  • 2nd & 3rd: +4, +2
  • 4th: ? (+1d4)
  • 5th: ? (+1d4, Ken absent)
  • new total: 7 + 2d4 hp

Winter:

• starting hp: 3
  • 2nd & 3rd: +4, +1
  • 4th: ? (+1d4)
  • 5th: +2
  • new total: 10 + 1d4

I don't think any of you get extra hit points from a high Constitution score, so these numbers should be right.

THAC0 & SAVING THROWS

Just a refresher on THAC0: To make an attack, you roll a d20 and add the modifiers listed below; if the total equals or exceeds your THAC0, you hit.

• add the magic bonus for your weapon
  • with a missile weapon (e.g. hand crossbow), add +1 if you have Dex 16 or +2 if you have Dex 17-18; however, you take a -2 penalty at medium range and -5 penalty at long range.
    • Example: hand crossbow (range 2/4/6, listed in tens of yards) would have no penalty up to 20 yards, a -2 penalty from 21 to 40 yards, and a -5 penalty from 41-60 yards.

[*]with a melee weapon (e.g. broadsword), add +1 if you have Str 17-18/50, +2 if you have Str 18/51-99, or +3 if you have Str 18/00

[*]if you have Weapon Specialization (Dag only; see "Other Stuff," below), add +1 to your attack roll (and +2 to damage if you hit); if you improve that to Weapon Mastery (see Player's Option: Combat & Tactics p.75), you instead add +3 to your attack roll (and +3 to damage if you hit)

[*]+2 if attacking the target from behind; if Lyra is attacking a surprised or unaware target from behind, she instead gets +4 to attack and deals backstab damage (triple normal damage before adding magic bonuses, but see PHB p.40 for restrictions on backstabs)

[*]various modifiers: see Table 51: Combat Modifiers (PHB p.90, also found on Dungeon Master's Screen), or whatever ad hoc modifier Blaine assigns for a particular circumstance

[*]finally, add the target's Armor Class (AC)*

* Technically, this isn't how the rules describe it (i.e. they say to subtract AC from THAC0 to determine target number), but this is mathematically equivalent and easier to remember (i.e. add AC just like you add other modifiers to your d20 roll).

Lyra:

• THAC0: 18
  • save vs. paralyzation, poison, or death magic: 12
  • save vs. rod, staff, or wand: 12
  • save vs. petrification or polymorph: 11
  • save vs. breath weapon: 15
  • save vs. spell: 13

Dag:

• THAC0: 16
  • save vs. paralyzation, poison, or death magic: 11
  • save vs. rod, staff, or wand: 13
  • save vs. petrification or polymorph: 12
  • save vs. breath weapon: 13
  • save vs. spell: 14

Houg:

• THAC0: 19
  • save vs. paralyzation, poison, or death magic: 14
  • save vs. rod, staff, or wand: 11
  • save vs. petrification or polymorph: 13
  • save vs. spell: 12

Winter:

• THAC0: 19
  • save vs. paralyzation, poison, or death magic: 14
  • save vs. rod, staff, or wand: 11
  • save vs. petrification or polymorph: 13
  • save vs. spell: 12

OTHER STUFF

Lyra:

Thieving Skills: By 5th level, you would have 180 points to distribute between your skills. To save you a little time, I've allocated them for you and added racial, armor, and Dexterity modifiers:

• pick pockets: 75% (15 base + 10 half-elf + 5 Dex + 5 armor + 40 skill)
  • open locks: 40% (10 base + 10 Dex + 20 skill)
  • find/remove traps: 25% (5 base + 20 skill)
  • move silently: 45% (10 base + 5 Dex + 10 armor + 20 skill)
  • hide in shadows: 40% (5 base + 5 half-elf + 5 Dex + 5 armor + 20 skill)
  • detect noise: 35% (15 base + 20 skill)
  • climb walls: 90% (60 base + 10 armor + 20 skill)
  • read languages: 20% (0 base + 20 skill)

I divided them as evenly as possible, setting aside an extra share for pick pockets (which seemed to be Lyra's favorite from the very beginning). If I recall correctly, Lyra doesn't wear armor and has Dex 17, so these numbers should be accurate. Obviously, it's your character, so move points around if you want -- you can put anywhere between 0 and 90 skill points into any given skill (and the total of all skill points spent must be 180).

Backstab: Now that you're 5th level, you deal triple damage (x3) with a successful backstab.

Proficiencies: You started with 2 weapon and 3 nonweapon, and you've gained +1 of each type since then (at 4th level).

• recommendation: use one weapon proficiency to take Two-Weapon Style Specialization (Player's Option: Combat & Tactics p.77), and start fighting with your short sword in your primary hand and your dagger in your off hand. With your Dexterity and that proficiency, you'll get one attack with each weapon (2 attacks total) every round with no penalty to your attack roll. (BTW, I believe your dagger, acquired in #86, is a +2 longtooth given Blaine's description; see DMG p.183)
    • if you don't take this proficiency, you would still be able to make 2 attacks (no penalty for short sword, -2 for dagger).

Equipment: I told Blaine this via Twitter a while back, but now that you're driving Lyra full-time, here's a refresher on what your ring of telekinesis can do.

• All rings function at 12th level (DMG p.147), regardless of your level.
  • That means it casts telekinesis (PHB p.171) like a total badass.
  • You can gently lift and move a weight of 100 lbs. (strength determined by ring rather than spell) up to 20 ft per round, anywhere within that 120-yd range. You can do this at will, but the object will stop and fall if you cease concentrating.
  • You can hurl objects weighing up to 300 lbs. in a 10-ft cube as an attack. They can hit a target up to 120 ft. away, and they will deal up to 12 damage if you hit with a ranged attack roll. (A really small object would be hurled like a bullet, but a really big one would deal the same damage by slamming into the target with its huge mass.) Blaine gets to decide whether you do the full 12 or not, depending on what object(s) you decide to throw.
  • You can use the ring at will (e.g. you could make a telekinetic attack every round if you want), but you can't use both the "gentle lift" and "violent throw" uses in the same round.

One other recommendation: If you ever get your hands on some throwing daggers, start using those instead of the hand crossbow. Thrown daggers allow you to make two attacks per round (hand crossbow allows only one) AND they deal more damage (1d4/1d3 instead of 1d3/1d2); the only downside is that daggers have shorter range (1/2/3 instead of 2/4/6).

Dag:

Proficiencies: You started with 4 weapon and 3 nonweapon proficiencies, and you've gained +1 of each type since then (at 3rd level).

• recommendation: use one weapon proficiency to take Weapon Specialization in the broadsword (i.e. your +3 frostbrand). You will gain +1 to attacks, +2 to damage rolls, and one extra attack every other round (i.e. 1 attack on 1st round, 2 attacks on 2nd round, 1 on 3rd, 2 on 4th, etc.).
    • On your next level, you will gain another weapon proficiency, and you can improve this to Weapon Mastery (Player's Option: Combat & Tactics p.75) -- your bonus to attacks and damage rolls both improve to +3 total.

Equipment: You have just 4 beads of force left! Use them wisely! Each can be hurled up to 30 yards, 5d4 damage vs. all in 10-ft radius (save for 1/2 damage). On failed save, creatures (even large ones) within 10-ft radius are trapped in a sphere of force for 3d4 rounds.

Don't forget the extra things your +3 frostbrand does:

• You get same benefit as a ring of fire resistance (DMG p.148); you're immune to regular fires (e.g. torch, bonfire), take only 10 hp/round when inside very hot fires (e.g. lava), you get +4 to saves vs. exceptionally hot fire (e.g. fireball, dragon's breath, etc.) and any fire damage you take is reduced by -2 per die of damage (minimum 1 damage per die).
  • It has a 50% chance to extinguish any normal fire into which it is thrust (affecting everything in a 10-ft radius). This is very good to know once Winter starts throwing fireball spells all over the place.
  • vs. fire-using creatures, the +3 frostbrand has a +6 bonus to attack and damage rolls (instead of its normal +3 to attacks and damage).

Houg:

Spells: You can cast the following spells of each level (assuming at least one is an illusion spell). Next to the number of prepared spells for each level, I've listed both spells you are known to have and the number of unallocated spell choices you haven't made yet.*

• 1st: 5 (phantasmal force, dancing lights, audible glamer, cantrip, shocking grasp, detect magic, read magic -- all automatic known spells are accounted for)
  • 2nd: 3 (improved phantasmal force, lesser phantom steed** -- all automatic known spells are accounted for)
  • 3rd: 2 (1 3rd-level spell of your choice)

* This is using the rules from DMG p.41 ("DM's Choice" for initial spells and "Going Up in Levels" for later spells seems to be what Blaine has been doing so far); if Ken still has a complete record of his starting spells and his one new spell at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th level, then this isn't necessary.

** Houg was casting phantom steed too early; he shouldn't have qualified for this 3rd-level spell until episode #109. Since it's a really crappy spell and it's had absolutely no impact on any encounter thus far, I suggest you retcon this as a new 2nd-level spell called lesser phantom steed: casting time 1 round (not 1 turn), duration 10 rounds per level (not 1 hour/level), maximum speed 24 (not 48), no improved movement abilities at higher level, otherwise identical to phantom steed. (The real phantom steed isn't meant as a combat spell, anyway -- it takes 10 minutes to cast and lasts 1 hour per level, so it's really meant for overland travel.)

Don't forget that you can memorize multiple copies of the same spell! You should have spares of phantasmal force and improved phantasmal force, at least.

For your new 3rd-level spell, I would recommend spectral force (allows visual, auditory, and thermal components to illusion), which would allow you to mimic other spells really well. An illusionary version of a spell functions using your wizard level to calculate all variables, just as the real spell would.

For example, you can cast an illusionary fireball (damage 1d6 per level [5d6] in 20-foot radius, range 10 yds + 10 yds/level [60 yds]). Everyone in the area would get one saving throw because they're interacting with the illusion (-1 penalty to save because you're an illusionist, though); if they succeed, they're unaffected by the illusion. If they fail, they take damage because they believe the spell is real (though they do get a second saving throw for 1/2 damage, because that's what fireball does normally). If they are reduced to 0 hit points, they fall unconscious for 10 to 30 minutes AND they have roll for system shock (see Constitution, PHB p.15) or die from fright. (Blaine might substitute a save vs. death magic for enemies without a listed Constitution score.)

All of this comes from p.82 - 84 and p.130 of the Player's Handbook. Read up on illusions -- they can do a LOT of stuff -- and one of your best tricks would be to mimic spells right after Winter casts them. Since they've already been hit by the real spell, they're especially likely to believe your illusionary version (i.e. Blaine might give them a penalty to their saving throw to disbelieve, or he could even rule that they automatically believe it to be real). Even when using phantasmal force (visual only) or improved phantasmal force (visual + auditory), the targets would usually gain only a +1 bonus to their save per sense "missing" from the illusion.

Proficiencies: You started with 1 weapon proficiency and 4 nonweapon proficiencies, and you gained +1 nonweapon proficiency at 3rd level. If you ever get any downtime (2 weeks minimum), I'd recommend using nonweapon proficiencies to buy one or more Signature Spells (Player's Option: Spells & Magic, p.57), which would let you cast the spell for free once a day (in addition to those you have memorized), among other things.

Equipment: From #86, you have a few items to remember:

• wand of illumination: the sunburst function is nice but it does have the potential to blind allies; try casting light (1 charge) directly at an opponent's eyes, and if they fail their saving throw, they are blinded (-4 penalty to saves, attacks, and worsening AC by 4) for 1 hour (10 minutes per level, and wands cast at 6th level; see DMG p.156).
  • unknown crystal ball: this was found but you never identified its magical functions (see DMG p.164), if any -- ask Blaine if you've figured it out after all this time
  • unknown ring: vague description by Blaine (seemed to make you "cleaner" or something?), so I'd guess it's a ring of protection (i.e. it was deflecting dirt!). I really don't remember if this was identified specifically in a later episode, and I didn't feel like looking for it. Ask Blaine.

Winter:

Spells: You can cast the following spells of each level. Next to the number of prepared spells for each level, I've listed both spells you are known to have and the number of unallocated spell choices you haven't made yet.*

• 1st: 4 (magic missile, spider climb, detect magic, read magic, 3 other 1st-level spells of your choice)
  • 2nd: 2 (web, 1 other 2nd-level spell of your choice)
  • 3rd: 1 (1 3rd-level spell of your choice)

* This is using the rules from DMG p.41 ("DM's Choice" for initial spells and "Going Up in Levels" for later spells seems to be what Blaine has been doing so far); we're pretty much building this from scratch since no one has the original character sheet anymore.

Don't forget that you can memorize multiple copies of the same spell! In your case, I'd recommend at 2 or 3 copies of magic missile at 1st level (the house rules version you guys have been using). If you want, you can even use higher-level slots to memorize lower-level spells.

Suggestions for not-yet-selected spells known:

• 1st level (pick 3): color spray, burning hands, sleep, spook, charm person, shield, friends, hypnotism, change self
  • 2nd level (pick 1): alter self, continual light, darkness 15' radius, ESP, forget, hypnotic pattern, Melf's acid arrow, ray of enfeeblement, strength
  • 3rd level (pick 1): Fireball. Duh. It's what every wizard looks forward to when they hit 5th level and start getting into some serious magic. At 5th level, it's 5d6 damage (save for half) in a 20-foot radius with a range of 60 yards. Now go burn some shit to the ground. (If you must go with something else, try lightning bolt, haste, or fly ... but lightning bolts might not work against the blue giants.)

Proficiencies: You started with 1 weapon proficiency and 4 nonweapon proficiencies, and you gained +1 nonweapon proficiency at 3rd level. If you ever get any downtime (2 weeks minimum), I'd recommend using nonweapon proficiencies to buy one or more Signature Spells (Player's Option: Spells & Magic, p.57), which would let you cast the spell for free once a day (in addition to those you have memorized), among other things.

Equipment: Based on Blaine's description in #86, you have a magical quarterstaff (DMG p.184). I don't think the bonus was ever established (it can potentially be from +1 to +5), but it's probably +2 or +3; ask Blaine. Also, it has the ability to extend to up to 12 feet long on command -- very useful for dick tracing from a safe distance.

=============

OK, that took forever, so I hope it helps. :)

• Like 9

This is awesome.

You may have assumed their character sheets have charts already. incase they don't remember to update your saving throws and thac0s guys.

This is awesome. You may have assumed their character sheets have charts already. incase they don't remember to update your saving throws and thac0s guys.

Good thinking -- I just went back and added a section for THAC0 and saving throws. :)

• Like 1

This is awesome.

You may have assumed their character sheets have charts already. incase they don't remember to update your saving throws and thac0s guys.

You may have assumed they actually have character sheets. :)

Seriously, awesome. Well done for going back and tabulating all the equipment and hit points. The lack of spells cast by the wizards in particular has been bugging me.

• Like 1

holy shit, this is great, thanks! When I started this campaign there was no character sheet for Winter. I'm completely new to D&D and more or less lost constantly.

holy shit, this is great, thanks! When I started this campaign there was no character sheet for Winter. I'm completely new to D&D and more or less lost constantly.

remember when lost, just find a dick to trace.

• Like 1

Posting to bolster visibility, also you saved me the trouble of trying to prove Winter had a web spell so thank you for that GM Sarli.

Posting to bolster visibility, also you saved me the trouble of trying to prove Winter had a web spell so thank you for that GM Sarli.

Oh, we all saw it!

Wow, guys. Didn't expect to make quite that big an impression in Ep. 111. :)

I saw the episode posted late last night, so I downloaded it, got a little baked (Nerd Poker is really fun with medicinal enhancement), and then suddenly THE PODCAST IS TALKING TO ME.

It was a total trip.

You're doing fine. A wizard is by far the hardest class to play, especially if you're a new player.

The trick with spells is to think creatively with them. A web, for example, fills a volume equal to eight 10-ft cubes (8,000 cubic feet) -- that's enough to completely fill a medium-sized room (40 x 20 x 10), such as the main room of a tavern, but it can also block most intersections (28 x 28 x 10) given how narrow roads are in medieval towns, fill a long hallway or alley (80 x 10 x 10, even bending around corners if needed), or make a staircase completely impassable for eight floors (a good-sized tower or keep). The only requirements are that it needs two opposite points to anchor it (floor/ceiling, opposing walls, a bunch of trees) and that it has to be at least 10 feet thick in each dimension. Even giants can only push their way through 10 feet of web per round, and smaller/weaker creatures can only move one or two feet per round. (And don't forget that web is highly flammable -- 2d4 fire damage to anything inside if you ignite it, but it will burn away in a single round.)

Similarly, something like feather fall is like having parachutes for the whole team (it affects up to 1200 lbs in a 10-ft cube at your level), but it can also be used to disarm archers, catapults, or the like by targeting their missiles (at your level, 50 yard range and 5 round duration, and 1200 lbs will affect a LOT of arrows) -- they'll just float harmlessly to the ground when fired.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but you can MacGyver your way through a lot of situations when you think creatively with your spells. :)

Oh, we all saw it!

I like what you did with the thief skills -- my personal preference is always to max out hide in shadows and move silently (my thief characters all act like ninjas), and it lets you get away with some really awesome stuff. I only went with a more even approach (with a little extra for pick pockets) because I was trying to avoid just making Lyra's skills exactly like my characters'. :)

BTW, backstab doesn't require you to use a dagger; it will work with any weapon. (The Complete Thief's Handbook even has special rules for using blunt weapons for "mugging" a target, knocking them out with a backstab instead of killing them.) In fact, the rules don't even say it has to be a melee weapon (and later editions of D&D explicitly allow ranged weapons to be used for this purpose), but I'd require you to be within 30 feet because you need to be close enough to be really accurate.

Personally, if I were DMing, I would even allow you to backstab with your ring of telekinesis because it requires an attack roll. (I'd probably make the damage a variable 1d12 with most projectiles, just to keep it from being too terribly badass.)

• Like 2

This is great. I was thinking after listening to the last episode "why don't they just put up all the stats on the website then they can go look at them and update them whenever they need" and fortunately there is such an awesome Nerd Poker community! Thanks GM Sarli !

If we put them all on the website this forum would be nothing but people correcting us. It's much more tolerable at the current 90% people correcting us.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this