🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jaymanthegreat

Not a catchphrase, but a message to fellow catchphrase posters.

Hello fellow catchphrasers,

2014 was a good year for me catchphrase-wise. I only started posting catchphrases in June and in that time Mr Aukerman chose my catchphrases for six episodes. Is this because I'm a catchphrase genius? Hardly. Its because I noted a number of unspoken guild lines Mr Aukerman seems to use when selecting his catchphrases. I share these guild lines with you to help us all develop better catchphrases and give us all a better chance at having them picked.

1 - Vulgarity doesn't work. While Mr Aukerman may sometimes pick a catchphrase that is sexual in nature, he only does when it is light-hearted. He also tends to avoid cursing.

2 - Never use the words "Comedy Bang Bang" or any variation thereof. He already has his intro down. He says the catchphrase and then says "Welcome to Comedy Bang Bang." He never breaks this pattern and will never choose a catchphrase the asks him to do so.

3 - Don't make references to the show or its guests. The universe of the show belongs to Mr Aukerman and his guests, the catchphrase is always independent of it.

4 - Don't reference current events or trends.

5 - Don't make it too long. While longer catchphrases are picked occasionally, in general, if you can't fit it withing the subject line of the topic, its too long.

The most basic rule is this: make it fun, not funny. Don't make it a pun, don't make a joke, just make it fun for Mr Aukerman to say with enthusiasm. That doesn't mean it can't be a pun or joke, but that is not a requirement and needn't be your goal. After all, what was so funny about "What's up, Hotdog?"

Anyway, feel free to take my advice or not. Its done well for me, but to each his own.

Happy catchphrasing!

• Like 7

One more and I'm in the five-timers club!

Oh wait. No. Now that I think about, I've NEVER hosted SNL!

Oh well, five to go!

(fingers crossed)

• Like 2

Well said. Seems clear enough. I'm a total newbie at this, some of your list is obvious from observation, some of it is great insight, all of it is helpful. It's a fun writing exercise doing these catchphrases and I look forward to competing with you gentlemen for time in the mouth of Aukerman.

I didn't really phrase that clearly, I apologize I shall rectify that now. I had meant that more in the sense of it being obvious in hindsight. By which I mean, I easily observed some of the things you're talking about, but didn't process that information in the context of actually writing catchphrases for the show. So your post of rules provided the framework for instant recall of all the times I had noticed these things but not attributed any significance to them.

Fuck you man, I love my puns.

Edit: I don't think any of my puns have been picked. Message above still applies.

• Like 3

Good tips, although I do whatever makes me laugh maniacally, which is usually bizarre, pleasantly twisted stuff since I'm so numb and dead inside. It's generally not what Scott likes, but I have a decent hit rate. Dry spell recently, but if I tried to break it down into what I think he wanted then it wouldn't be fun anymore.

• Like 2

Good catchphrase advice, jayman! (And kudos on an excellent run of on-air reads!)

Me, I just post whatever amuses me in the moment, for good of for ill. But mostly, I just really like seeing the great stuff other people come up with!

• Like 3

Great advice! I've never been chosen...one day! ;) Some of the submissions have me feeling ill. A few were downright gross...keep it silly and weird (like my sex life! Am I right, guys?!). *doesn't drop the mic. mics are really expensive*

• Like 4

I had one catchphrase selected which rhymed. He said 'I like the catch phrases that rhyme people'. Scott also said the secret of a good catch-phrase is rhyming almost all the way through on a recent podcast. So whilst I would say that rhymes aren't necessary I would also say that when used sparingly and appropriately with the right balance of ingredients they can take your boring old home-made catch-phrase to the next level, so it could conceivably compete with some of the work produced by some of the finest catch-phrase artists in some of the finest catch-phrase kitchens in the country.

• Like 1

I don't think that the text of the opening message would make a very good catchphrase.

This topic has been labelled as "hot" Does that mean we have all have to start wearing Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirts and cheap mascara?

• Like 1

Im slightly cheesed off that this topic has surpassed April Fools Rebel and my previous record for most replies to a catchphrase, but i guess I might as well just help to insure that this one never gets overtaken. So BabaBooey to y'all.

• Like 1

2 - Never use the words "Comedy Bang Bang" or any variation thereof. He already has his intro down. He says the catchphrase and then says "Welcome to Comedy Bang Bang." He never breaks this pattern and will never choose a catchphrase the asks him to do so.

Happy catchphrasing!

AstronomicalCat

just broke rule 2

• Like 1

Waking kills the dream, people and self-awareness is the red pill.

With that said, there's essentially three catchphrases.

Ones that are fun to say(Rhyming, Tongue twisters, Difficult wordage).

Ones that are clever.(Subversion of expectations, Astute observations)

Ones that are silly. (Absurd statements, Goofy and/or Lewd)

There is a fourth secret catchphrase which is the meta-catchphrase but I don't think we've ever gotten one.

Most of what's been mentioned is the usual trend for Scotty, however he's a rascal and likes to break form once and while to keep it frisky. My honest advice is to mention bass guitars cause that seems to work.

• Like 3

Thank you. I am very new to posting and everyone here seems very fun and whacky. I look forward to the few moments of the day i get to read these posts and I always get a good chuckle. This pod cast has helped me get through some pretty dark times and I love the fact that fans can contribute. Peace, Love, and Tushy slaps- Skewball

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this