🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 216 — Indie Gu Gu

Howard and Kulap kick off the episode with How To Act: a detailed analysis on how to not disturb the vista of others. The crew then welcomes Origin Story Donor and loyal Chartist, Randy Denton. During a special chart of Top Country Downloads, Randy gives a quick lesson on the economics of Banking in America and what makes San Antonio unique. As they count down the week’s top movies, Howard shares his multiple attempts at watching Birdman, which he actually sorta likes. Lastly, in a special edition of The Tweet Chart, Howard gives all Chartists a lesson on how to ask questions.

• Like 1

Good job Randy!

Randy, who spent some time in a place with hills called Agony, Misery, & Heartbreak, and a little neighborhood called Disney.

• Like 1

ahh, it all makes sense now. I checked into the Whooch twitter to snoop on who the guest would be even though I rarely submit TC questions for said guest and I was terrified with the absence of a call for questions.

For anyone looking for Indiegugu.com, I believe its just on indiegogo

For anyone looking for Indiegugu.com, I believe its just on indiegogo

Haha, it is https://www.indiegog...jects/gu-cruise

I can't believe how self-sabotaging Howard is. 1) he never says that it isn't really indiegugu and 2) all the text on the indiegogo page is still just the site's template Example:

The Impact

Feel free to explain more about your campaign and let people know how the difference their contribution will make:

• Explain why your project is valuable to the contributor and to the world.
  • Point out your successful track record with projects like this (if you have one).
  • Make it real for people and build trust."

Too funny, Wie wie.

• Like 3

and honestly just the other day I was thinking "where the F is that Gu Cruise video? wasn't it almost done weeks back?!". I was hoping that the price points would be lower than normal, but this is once again way out of my league in terms of disposable income

Randy is such a solid Chartist!!! Like a Texan Kulap.

Maybe, the indiegugu site will redirect to indiegogo once they get it set up? Regardless, looking forward to the finished video. In time for Summah 2015?

• Like 2

I recommend you start an indiegugu campaign to raise the money to purchase the zoo trip.

• Like 2

Can we as a society just admit that the music on the country charts isn't actually country music, but pop and soft rock? Just because a song is sung with a southern accent and has a hint of slide guitar, that doesn't make it country music. Replace any of these songs with a different accent and no one would call them country.

Can we as a society just admit that the music on the country charts isn't actually country music, but pop and soft rock? Just because a song is sung with a southern accent and has a hint of slide guitar, that doesn't make it country music. Replace any of these songs with a different accent and no one would call them country.

any of them... no, but some of them yes. Call it pop-country, just like theres rap and hip-hop, and then theres what most older adults would call rap or hip-hop which is the rap that fill the airwaves and is really pop-rap.

My question is this (because I avoid the country music like its the plague), is there an undercurrent of "real" country that is still being made? I don't know that I'd be able to separate that more authentic country from what I understand as pop-country, I just feel like most of the genre has become that. I think with other genres, there is that poppy version of it, but the real stuff continues to be made its just that no one really knows about it

@StanSitwell: I have a hard time not disparaging country music because all I hear is the pop-county stuff, but you're spot on about the pop-rap stuff (and just pop in general). There's definitely a real country scene somewhere (don't care to find it, myself), just as there is good underground/indie/non-mainstream hip-hop. I hypocritically shit on the pop-country scene though, because pop-rap is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I realize its just as shitty and shallow. I find the music behind it far more interesting though.

Anyways, fun episode, I'm usually leery of guests that are normies, contest winners and the like, but Randy, you're a cool dude. And all that swag!

• Like 1

My question is this (because I avoid the country music like its the plague), is there an undercurrent of "real" country that is still being made? I don't know that I'd be able to separate that more authentic country from what I understand as pop-country, I just feel like most of the genre has become that. I think with other genres, there is that poppy version of it, but the real stuff continues to be made its just that no one really knows about it

In short, yes. Some it is very good (in my opinion). As someone from the deep south there is a continuing debate even in that area as to what real country is and who is doing it. If you are interested I can recommend a couple of guys (and gals) who are making country music that I think is good or at least a better representation of "modern" country.

• Like 1

My question is this (because I avoid the country music like its the plague), is there an undercurrent of "real" country that is still being made?

There's a country/folk/blues hybrid with the catch-all label "Americana" that seems to be a reaction to the insufferable Modern Country music, largely populated by younger artists with a wider range of influences. My favorites are

and
(RIP) and
, though the label is so widely applied (like "Alternative") that it's hard to pin down whether they are a representative sample.
  • Like 3

indiegugu.com is real. and perks and stretch goals are still being added. just FYI! thanks so much to all who have already donated.

• Like 4

Selma was nominated for Best Picture. What a snub!

It was widely considered to be 'snubbed' due to an overall lack of nominations (particularly for Oyelowo), but yeah, that was a pretty big fuckbotch on Ku's part.

I was also thinking about the Gu Cruise video and thought they might actually be saving it for next Summah, so who knows. It's not like it would be unprecedented given the status of Tears on My Shaft. (For the record, indiegugu.com does now redirect to the IGG page.)

Anyway, great episode, great job by Randy. It's hard to say how naturally comfortable and outgoing these guys are, but it's really nice to hear what a welcoming, relaxed environment Ku and Wie create for non-showbiz guests.

• Like 2

Randy was a great guest as was the last 'normal person' guest. I guess it makes sense- if they listen to Who Charted, they probably get the vibe and have a good sense of humor.

Loved that Brett played The Ramones during Randy's tweet chart!

• Like 4

@StanSitwell: I have a hard time not disparaging country music because all I hear is the pop-county stuff, but you're spot on about the pop-rap stuff (and just pop in general). There's definitely a real country scene somewhere (don't care to find it, myself), just as there is good underground/indie/non-mainstream hip-hop. I hypocritically shit on the pop-country scene though, because pop-rap is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I realize its just as shitty and shallow. I find the music behind it far more interesting though.

Anyways, fun episode, I'm usually leery of guests that are normies, contest winners and the like, but Randy, you're a cool dude. And all that swag!

I think you sound a lot like me, because as I read your post I realized that I do enjoy to hear and listen and laugh in the dissection of the rap songs Howard plays, but when its country I'm more reluctantly listening in a judgy manner. My fiance listens to carrie underwood, occasionally I'll catch her with this awful country music video station on the TV, but even underwood I think is a bit more real country than this pop stuff where its bordering on hip/hop and rap (like the guy howard is breaking I want to say sam hunt but that might be wrong)

• Like 1

$50 for a life coach session with Howard!! Damn, these are good perks!

And I really wish I had $1000. It would be so freaking fun to zoo it up with Howard.

Sign in to follow this