🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 71 — Lex Friedman, Midroll’s EVP of Sales and Development

Lex Friedman, Midroll’s EVP of Sales and Development, joins Adam to pull the curtain back on this fun “inside Midroll Media” episode of The Wolf Den. Lex tells the story of how he got started selling podcast ads—despite not having a sales background--and then met Earwolf and Midroll founder Jeff Ullrich who brought Lex and his ad company on board as part of an acquihire. Adam and Lex also talk about how Midroll Media compares to your typical startup and the crazy growth the company has seen in the last eighteen months. Finally, Lex discusses how podcasting is maturing as a medium, and how advertisers are starting to book their spots up front, like in television. This is an entertaining deep dive into the business of podcasting that must not be missed.

It was interesting to hear Adam and Lex bring to light this seemingly wild west frontier in such a transparent manner. It’s good to hear that Earwolf has always been adept to growth in a maturing industry with such sincerity. I’ve been listening to this show for a while and am surprised that most earwolf fans aren’t hooked. (Hollywood Handbook rules too so go ahead and let them take that prime second lowest spot in the ratings).

I don’t know of many podcasts about podcasting but they intrigue me. We’re constantly inundated with opportunities to fulfill aspirational intentions by filling our netflix queue with documentaries, getting rosetta stone to learn languages, watching TEDtalks, and taking free online college level courses; the list goes on and on. I enjoy this podcast because it brings those ambitious obligations down to earth without any guilt and makes it very entertaining and enjoyable. As a musician and frequent terrestrial radio listener, it’s fascinating to witness this sea change in audio broadcasting. And to also hear that part of the team is based in New Jersey! I’m from Philly so that really brought it close to home for me. Every time I listen I feel an urge to somehow jump in and be part of the Earwolf crew - and that is why you have this very dedicated listener.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! Also, Salmon, I'm a huge Eagles fan — I grew up outside of Philly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback.

Salmon, while I'm not an Eagles fan, I do have a deeply rooted love for NJ and its surrounding areas. I really appreciate the nice words about the show! Jeff created a great open book culture and I'm just trying to continue doing what he started. Listeners like you are what bring me closer to my ultimate goal of overtaking Hollywood Handbook once and for all.

• Like 1

Candid, genuine and honest. So refreshing to hear pioneers like yourselves be so candid, genuine and honest about the trail they are blazing.

Big fan!

• Like 2

Thank you for your honesty and insider-perspective into podcasting. You've really inspired me.