🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 1525 - Jon Hamm

First time listening, thought I was the only one who didn't like Orange is the New Black. I've tried twice to get through the pilot and haven't been able to. If it wasn't for Lauren Lapkus i would've been a little upset at their SAG win as well.

In which Matty-B puts the screw to the Foo.

And Veep is outstanding. It's so incredibly smart and well-written and hilarious.

In which Matty-B puts the screw to the Foo.

I also found this amusing. I have nothing against the Foo Fighters and love what Dave Grohl brings to music, but a buddy of mine also talks about how every Foo Fighter song is the same, and he likes them.

First time listening, thought I was the only one who didn't like Orange is the New Black. I've tried twice to get through the pilot and haven't been able to. If it wasn't for Lauren Lapkus i would've been a little upset at their SAG win as well.

well that's mature, you don't like it so how dare it win a stupid award, oh but you like some chicks comedy who is in it not for comedy's sake, now its okay!

I get angry when the bing bag theory wins awards because its a comedy show that is completely unfunny and awful

While I really enjoy OITNB I have to agree that it's definitely not a comedy and it winning comedy awards is ridiculous. It seems like comedy awards in awards shows recently are just for movies that think they have a better shot at winning an award that way put themselves in that category. The comedy movie award at the Golden Globes is ridiculous. Pretty much none of the movies that ever are nominated in that category are comedies at all. Shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos have more laughs than OITNB, I guess those should have submitted as comedies as well

While I really enjoy OITNB I have to agree that it's definitely not a comedy and it winning comedy awards is ridiculous. It seems like comedy awards in awards shows recently are just for movies that think they have a better shot at winning an award that way put themselves in that category. The comedy movie award at the Golden Globes is ridiculous. Pretty much none of the movies that ever are nominated in that category are comedies at all. Shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos have more laughs than OITNB, I guess those should have submitted as comedies as well

I say to this and all similar complaints - all award shows are dumb, you should just ignore them

• Like 3

In addition to there being less competing on the TV landscape on the time, I do believe part of Jimmy and the cultural imperialism of the early-to-mid baby boomer era. I had a lot of those same rerun references you mentioned growing up in the 90s.

It's the same reason I get super irritated when people talk about how gen X and millennial are too obsessed with the culture of their childhood. A person wearing apparel with cartoon characters from the 80s or 90s (not my own style, but to each their own) looks like some troglodyte nerd living in his mom's basement, but someone wearing a Loony Tunes character looks like someone's aunt. The only reason boomers don't look like they're wallowing in their childhood is that mainstream culture as a whole does the wallowing for them. It doesn't look like nostalgia because you can't be nostalgic for something that never went away.

Also, tried so hard to resist, but had to say: the kid in Empire of the Sun was interned by the Japanese (hence the title) during WWII, not by communists.

• Like 1

boy would i love to get my lips around that half a ham sandwich

• Like 4

They rebooted Prisoner a few years ago as a show called Wentworth which I'm sure is just as laugh out loud funny as Oranges: The New Black

This episode caused my co-workers to really worry about me since I was alone in my office, laughing uncontrollably twice! Matt's Toad the Wet Sprocket reference killed me as did Jon's "where's your breadbag now?" line. Great episode.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first season of Oranges: The New Black. The 2nd season got really bad towards the end. I just couldn't keep suspending my belief again and again. And the stories got exhaustingly boring.

And as its been discussed several times before, people like the show and want it to get recognition, but it can't compete in the drama category, so it gets pushed into comedy.

And to quote Jimmy's bit about people throwing out obvious lines in conversation: "Hey, you know who's funny? Jon Hamm!" or "Hey, you know who's a good actor? John Goodman!" ...YES! WE KNOW!

relistening to old eps, i highly recommend going back and checking out season 2 episode 27. classic scott aukerman ep, making jimmy squirm

• Like 2

ahh brian's cootie bit was so good it made me mad i didnt think of it

• Like 1