🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Telfer

The Best Artisan Dice

We've all seen this amazing website, right? I know I've linked it on the forums at least once.

Well they have so many goddamned kinds of dice (in particular I think there are something like 1,000 types of wood) I was wondering if other people have ever window shopped on there (or maybe even shop shopped) and thought one looked particularly cool.

I think these are particularly badass, especially how they look like they could chip a wooden table.

Ha! Well I didn't mean to give the impression I can afford these things or that people on the podcast were buying them. I think the only nerds who must get them are engineer defense contractors who live in the desert next to missile silos.

I think expensive dice are hilarious. You're supposed to chuck them against things. They're not gonna hold up, or at the least the hard ones will dent the table.

Not from that site (rich for my blood), but I do have a hematite 7-set... very satisfying to roll, both the feel and the sound.

I used to play a homemade RPG we called "Fight for Life" with a set of brass dice. They were very heavy (as far as dice go), and they dented the shit out of my friend's dining room table. His mom was none too pleased when she finally noticed. I loved them, though. They made me feel like a man. 25 years later, I'm still trying to find that feeling again...

http://shop.coolmaterial.com/products/brass-playing-dice

il_570xN.366678304_nqo1.jpg

Just ordered one of these, will report back with details for my fellow weird-dice-lovers when I get it. Looks like something you wouldn't ever want to roll on any furniture you cared about unless you had a sturdy corral or other rolling surface, and from what you see in the pictures not sure they'll roll true, but still pretty cool (I'm not too worried about rolling characteristics, picking it up because I need a large and distinctive die to use as the escalation die for 13th Age, which is actually just a counter and is never rolled).

:EDIT: Just got it, definitely a quality piece. Faces seem pretty much exactly true to cube, edges are pretty uniform but show a little variation, not in a way that seems sloppy but rather one that just makes it evident it's a handmade piece. Pips are super uniform and well aligned. Hefty and substantial, would make a real "thunk" if you actually rolled the thing (I love my table too much and don't have a rolling tray handy). Would definitely recommend.

Sign in to follow this